Frank Gore signing with Jets

Unfortunately the only memories i’ll have of Gore is the Patriots game when he had one man to beat and ran out of gas, and the Redskins game. I’ve been to a handful of games and never heard the home crowd groan more than when he got the ball. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you find me saying good things about DiMarco please feel free to add them here. I‘ve been trying to cut him for years lol!! Just because he can’t play doesn’t mean that Gore can anymore. Those 2 things aren’t intertwined. Neither can play 

Not necessarily you, KJ.  Many here drone on endlessly about DiMarco's value as a glorified locker room attendant.  Gore was at least a locker room leader....because he actually played.  Grinding out wen after week

Gore isn't far behind several active roster NFL RBs.  He's as useful as Bell was last year for the Jets....at least.

11 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Frank Gore will certainly be enshrined in Canton one day.  But first ballot?  Isn't that a bit generous?  He has been a very good player (and a good guy) throughout his career.  But he certainly did not transcend the game of football.  I don't think he was ever the dominant RB of his era.  A very good player.  But not at the level of Emmit Smith Barry Sanders or Walter Payton.  The amount of yards he has gotten mean something.  But a lot of that is because he has played for a long time.

Where would you put him on the all time great list of RB's?  Better and more talented then Thurman?  What about AP?  What about Terrell Davis-4 great years and he is in the Hall?  Chris Johnson?  Jamal Lewis?  Curtis Martin?  Just saying.  Where does Frank stand?  

Paup, valid points, but he was dominant for SF for a long time, it’s just people on the East Coast didn’t see a lot of their games as he was on a bad team for awhile.  I don’t care when he gets the gold jacket, but if he does somehow eclipse Payton, they are not going to deny the guy early in his eligibility as the writers are going to be moved by his yards.  The comment about his longevity is also true for Emmett, and Emmett had incredible offensive lines in Dallas.  In addition, the fact he has played this position for this long is pretty making.

Only 1379 yds to tie the Late Great Walter Payton.

At last years pace he only needs 2 1/2 more seasons to pass him ;) 

BTW I met Walter Payton at the Molson Indy in 1996 when he was a Indy Car owner of a team with Dale Coyne  :)

Edited by JMF2006
of not on

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Paup, valid points, but he was dominant for SF for a long time, it’s just people on the East Coast didn’t see a lot of their games as he was on a bad team for awhile.  I don’t care when he gets the gold jacket, but if he does somehow eclipse Payton, they are not going to deny the guy early in his eligibility as the writers are going to be moved by his yards.  The comment about his longevity is also true for Emmett, and Emmett had incredible offensive lines in Dallas.  In addition, the fact he has played this position for this long is pretty making.

Good points Machine Gun.  How many yards does Gore need to catch Sweetness?  Payton played from 1975-1987.  13 seasons.  He did not hang around for a few extra years.  Ironically in my first year after college I was in Chicago Christmas break 1987 hanging w friends and watched Payton's last game on TV there.  Also met Ben Davidson (old NFLer  from the Raiders) doing a promotion for Miller Lite (he was in some of their earlier ads) at a bar on Rush Street that vacation.  That was a fun few days.  Dam it was cold out.  

Emmett did have some great O lines to block for him.  And the hype machine that was the Cowboys was tops back in that era.  

Gore is an alltime great.  But going to a marginal Jets team with a marginal O line (signing George Fant doesn't move the meter in my estimation) when he looked washed up the second half of last year does nothing for his legacy.  But he has always been a class act.  And outlasted a lot of Miami RB's who seemed to have more talent.  (McGhahee and Portis come to mind)  Remember how great and colorful the Miami teams of the 80' 90's and early 2000's were?  Talk about a program that fell into the abyss.  I love talking football.  Nothing better.  Only other thing that comes close is Heavy Metal music!!  And I know my hockey  history prior to the past 7-8 years pretty well also.  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

Gore is a good guy and class act.  However, he really went down hill at the end of the year and made the team one dimensional. 

I would not have picked him over Shady, Miller, Freeman or Hyde.  They all seem to have more in the tank.

The benefit of being in an offense previously seems small for a RB.

I am happy that Gase made this move - not worried at all.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:26 AM, eball said:

Do you really think that's what Frank Gore is all about -- building team cultures in his declining years?

He's become ancient history for young players.  If he can't produce on the field anymore who listens?