Auditor: Favre received welfare money for no-show speeches

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/auditor-favre-received-welfare-money-for-no-show-speeches/ar-BB13AVCw?ocid=ientp

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A nonprofit group caught up in an embezzlement scheme in Mississippi used federal welfare money to pay former NFL quarterback Brett Favre $1.1 million for multiple speaking engagements but Favre did not show up for the events, the state auditor said Monday.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/audit-brett-favre-paid-11-m-in-welfare-funds-for-appearances-he-didnt-make-015403643.html

The audit states that the MCEC paid Favre’s company, Favre Enterprises, $500,000 in December 2017 and $600,000 in June 2018 for appearances. According to the Clarion-Ledger, those appearances were to include promotions, autographs and speaking engagements.

According to the audit conducted by State Auditor Shad White’s office, “auditors were able to determine that the individual contracted did not speak nor was he present for those events.”

The Clarion-Ledger and AP both reached out to Favre and his representatives on Monday and did not immediately receive a response. Favre is not facing criminal charges.

They probably mean yet.  Too early in investigation.

Appears to be original cited story from Yahoo.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/04/auditor-brett-favre-received-1-1m-in-welfare-funds-for-speeches-he-never-gave/

• Like (+1) 1

Wow...would be hard for Farve to deny knowing something was wrong for him to receive over a million dollars for events he never showed for. That is unless they had him do something else as a guise for the reasoning behind the payments. Hopefully he is truly innocent in all this. Would be a huge damper on his reputation if not.

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

Wow...would be hard for Farve to deny knowing something was wrong for him to receive over a million dollars for events he never showed for. That is unless they had him do something else as a guise for the reasoning behind the payments. Hopefully he is truly innocent in all this. Would be a huge damper on his reputation if not.

Favre has done plenty of things that could have damaged his reputation over the years, sports media always chose to look the other way because he’s so beloved. With that said, who knows what happened here until more comes out. 

Edited by SirAndrew

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think it could involve someone in "Favre Enterprises" not Farve specifically.  Most such companies have business managers, etc.

One check says it only has 1 employee however.

Todd Favre, Real Estate Broker.

This is my guess.   I can't see Favre stealing from the state.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Favre has done plenty of things that could have damaged his reputation over the years, sports media always chose to look the other way because he’s so beloved. With that said, who knows what happened here until more comes out. 

I agree.  It’ll be interesting to see what and how much comes out.  Color me skeptical about Favre.  Even if he trusted other people to run his business for him, he never had an independent audit done?  This is the type of stuff that is supposed to find.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, StHustle said:

money might not have gotten to him.

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  It’ll be interesting to see what and how much comes out.  Color me skeptical about Favre.  Even if he trusted other people to run his business for him, he never had an independent audit done?  This is the type of stuff that is supposed to find.  

It is I believe his brother.  

However a friend from Mississippi told me this is how business and families work there and it is one of the most corrupt states in the union.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Favre May be a lech (sending his pictures to Jen Steiger), but I doubt he knowingly defrauded the State of Mississippi.

People better than Favre defraud people/states all the time. That being said, I doubt he knew where the money was coming from, but that much for nothing should've at least tipped him off. Even the beloved Rudy got caught scamming people.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

His philandering is pretty well publicized.    The Jets reporter thing was a big deal when it happened, and that was also covered quite well. 

I am not sure it was the media who gave him a pass, as much as it was the public.  Can't love the guy because he seems like Joe Six Pack, and then hate him when he proves it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

People better than Favre defraud people/states all the time. That being said, I doubt he knew where the money was coming from, but that much for nothing should've at least tipped him off. Even the beloved Rudy got caught scamming people.

He seems like the kind of guy that would be willing to do a lot of things for cash- he was caught using anti semetic language in a cameo, language that a 30 second Google would have shown was questionable. I don't think he asks the questions he needs to ask.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

The most overrated QB I've ever seen. And this is potentially just another sign he's a garbage person too. But he's America's wet dream so he gets a pass for everything. 

YOU THILLY 0 Hehehe - Kittykat | Meme on ME.ME