Talk of no alcohol at NFL games this season.

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Awesome question!!!!

I think bars should do the same thing, just stop alcohol sales so people don't get drunk and do stupid things.I mean why do you need to a drink to have fun at a bar?

And why do we need alcohol at restaurants? I mean, cant you enjoy a meal without a drink and glass of wine?

And i mean lets get honest, why do we need alcohol in our home? I mean, you cant enjoy the company of your family without a drink? Do they suck that much?

Cool, we got that worked out..i mean after all the 18th Amendment was ratified  right smack in the middle of the Spanish Flu ..so lets repeat history!

Listen, hate to be so snraky, bu the holier than thou "why do people need a drink at a game" with the requisite "bless your heart "at the end.

Yes, its freaking America, booze is legal.I LOVE having a beer during the games, and yes it is an essential part of the game for me

You know what, I was just asking the question. There is no bless your heart anywhere in my statement, nor anything holier than thou. I went out of my way in my comment to even say that I am not judging/saying what is right or wrong, I was just generally curious. The majority of people I associate with do not drink at games, some do, but not where they would be mad if they couldn't. Besides, I have seen people say they wouldn't go to a game unless it had alcohol sales, that's where the true curiosity in my question lies. I simply choose not to because I refuse pay that much for something I dont generally like the taste of.

So relax, I'm not the one who came up with the idea nor do I care what happens. In fact, I have voted in the past to support alcohol being allowed in counties/by the glass/ or any other variations when they have been on ballots. So any snark or otherwise can be taken elsewhere.

5 hours ago, The Dean said:

Why do people take the extreme argument approach to things?  Where was there any talk about being hammered? Yes, it is true, some fans get totally hammered. Too many for my taste---and I've been one of them in the past. I almost never get hammered anymore, but I still enjoy a few cocktails while watching a game. In fact, many of the people you see at the Mafia tailgate party aren't hammered at all. But many seem to act like it when they are together.

Well put. And one of the reasons I seriously doubt there will be an alcohol ban should there be games with fans.

Calmness is the right reaction at the moment, IMO, because there is NOTHING to see here. It was simply a remark by a guy.  A "I can see this happening" with NOTHING else to support it. It is Peter King, but in this case, he's just a guy who has a column. There is no mention of rumors or something like "Talking with NFL insiders, I believe they may be thinking,,," Nope. Nothing of the sort. Just a guy thinking hypothetically out loud, in public.

is it necessary?  For most people I'd say, "probably not".  But do you spend your life doing ONLY what is absolutely necessary, and no more? Pretty dull way to go about your life, IMO.  Much, if not most, of life's enjoyable moments probably can be categorized as "not necessary".

And just take a second to think:  Why are there thousands of sports bars, but very few sports coffee shops or sports ice cream parlors? Alcohol is an enjoyable part of many modern American's lives. Having a drink while watching a game is tradition, maybe even a habit.  People hate to change their habits and cling to tradition.

Plus, as you may not know, drinking can be fun.

Thanks, these are the views/discussion I was looking for. Just general curiosity of what people think.

Helps to know what everyone's perspective, so when one does actually have power to vote or make decisions, its good to know what other people think then just ones small inner circle!

Sorry if this has already been covered/questioned by earlier posters - I’d really like to know Peter King’s logic behind this suggestion that WYRK picked up. Does it really follow that after fans gather in packed parking lots to tailgate, after they queue up in shoulder-to-shoulder lines at the gate for upwards of 20-30 minutes in some cases, AFTER they navigate a cramped concourse to then file into their seats to again be surrounded by people for 3+ hours, after ALL that - the idea is to cut out alcohol sales in order to limit fans’ exposure to each other in the restrooms. And that is going to mitigate the COVID risk in some sort of meaningful way?

I think Petey’s losing it.

Edited by JoPoy88

On 5/6/2020 at 11:29 PM, letsgoteam said:

I am curious why it it necessary to have to drink at a game? For those people, is football not enjoyable without it? I'm just curious, not saying anyone is right/wrong or otherwise :) 

I hear people say they have to be able to drink at a game and I've always wondered why.

I'm 41 and I have never had a beer at or before a game.  I'm there for the football. 

• Like (+1) 1