Plenz Can't Get Enough Canned Tuna

Gugny

Last time I tailgated with him, @plenzmd1 had a "Make Your Own Tuna Sandwich" station instead of his traditional post-game wings.

I was a little upset, but it turned out pretty good.  I mean, fish, mayo, hot sun ... what could go wrong?

In his honor, I wanted to start a thread for canned tuna lovers to unite.  So here it is.

Edited by Gugny

Mayo, salt, pepper every time. If I’m feeling ambitious and the ingredients are handy, I’ll add some diced onion and sweet pepper.  
Slices of tomato and a few lettuce leaves go in the sandwich if they’re available.

Usually on whole wheat or multigrain bread, because that’s what we use for almost everything. 
Im not a big fan of tuna melts.  I prefer my tuna sandwich not heated up, and tuna with cheese doesn’t do it for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hmm, in a steak or  raw on a plate with chopsticks ... 

I truly think I would rather snuggle for a long night of passionate love making with TB12 than eat canned tuna. Add in a psycho like @Seasons1992 putting Miracle whip in it, and we might just have a cure for the Covid, that would kill every living thing it came in contact with. 

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Miracle whip @plenzmd1

Pepper

Slice of cheese

Toasted bread

Are you taunting @plenzmd1 or is he a heathen too?   :)

This may be a helpful topic. One day just weeks ago (but it seems like years at this point), my wife went to the grocery store BEFORE they opened, because the shelves were mostly empty by the time I got there. She got tuna fish. The small, individual serving cans. Lots of them. A lifetime supply, I’m guessing. I can make it every way suggested here, and still have more tuna in the pantry. 

I like with celery, for the crunch. A little texture is a good thing, and it you have a “real” tomato to go with it, that’s a great thing! 

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hmm, in a steak or  raw on a plate with chopsticks ... 

I truly think I would rather snuggle for a long night of passionate love making with TB12 than eat canned tuna. Add in a psycho like @Seasons1992 putting Miracle whip in it, and we might just have a cure for the Covid, that would kill every living thing it came in contact with. 

I rarely eat canned tuna, but I was a regular for tuna tacos at a local pub (Mehan’s for the locals), and Stoney River is a franchise (not usually my style) but has a very good tuna stack with mango, avocado and a spicy aioli. There’s another tavern with a similar dish. I walk in and they bring an Arnold Palmer and ask “do you even want a menu?” No thanks, I’ll have the usual. 

Oh....how I miss those days! Soon, I hope! 

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't usually eat tuna salad. I'd rather eat tuna from the can with lemon, salt and pepper

That actually sounds pretty good.  Ever try lime juice? 

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Minced onions, celery and carrots.  Light mayo.  Salt and pepper.  Some of you people put waayyyyyy too much mayo in your tuna salad.  It’s repugnant.

minced red onions, celery, and whatever else I have in the way of veg - sweet pepper, carrots etc.  Like a lot of veg.

Usually curry powder, pepper, and sumac.  Sometimes salt-free cajun seasoning and sumac.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Minced onions, celery and carrots.  Light mayo.  Salt and pepper.  Some of you people put waayyyyyy too much mayo in your tuna salad.  It’s repugnant.

That is like  saying there is an appropriate level of breading for your wings. The answer is fish and mayo do not go together under any circumstances. Period, end of story!

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That is like  saying there is an appropriate level of breading for your wings. The answer is fish and mayo do not go together under any circumstances. Period, end of story!

Okay, you’ve piqued my interest.  What do you use as a binding agent for your tuna salad?

Actually, I think your fish/mayo rule is completely off base.  Ever try tartar sauce, Sir?  Hmmmmmmmm?

I, like most people of refined taste , would never eat fish out of a can. If I am having a tuna salad, would be a seared tuna steak over a nice base of greens and a vinaigrette! 

ya do have me in the tartar, fish fry not the same without it. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Personally, I'm just a mayo, salt-n-pepa guy.  Occasionally I'll add diced onions, but usually I just add onion slices to the sandwich.

My ex used to make me put relish and celery salt in it.  (another reason I'm glad she's gone ... but I digress) 

Currently having a good covno in the Shoutbox about tuna fish and almost everyone makes it differently.

Interested to see other variations.

Tuna+mayo+relish+diced onion and celery+black pepper dont @me

59 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I truly think I would rather snuggle for a long night of passionate love making with TB12 than eat canned tuna. 

I feel like Costanza must have felt when he walked into Jerry's apartment and found Kramer kissing Jerry after his 'No more kissing!' rant.  ?

White albacore tuna in water. ( 16 oz.)

Chopped onions. 

Grated hard boiled eggs about 4

Sweet pickle relish.

Season  with  Old Bay. 

Mix with mayonnaise. 

Chill several hours.

Serve  as a protein with  other food  or as a sandwich.  

Lately  I have used  carb friendly tortillas and made  wraps included with  spinach. 

• Like (+1) 3