25 Best of all Time in the NFL !!

I was wondering with Coach Shula's passing which other coaches were in the same conversation as Shula ? As we know the Lombardi is named after one but just who else were some of the coaches that had the best records while leading their respective teams in the NFL .

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/25-greatest-head-coaches-nfl-history

I felt our Bills coach Marv levy would be mentioned as a great coach because of what he did while with the Bills but this tells a little bit about each of the best of the best since the beginning of the NFL .

Without looking, Parcells and Walsh immediately come to mind. 

... Gibbs. 
cowher

holmgren 

and I’m a huge schottenhiemer fan even though he never won a title. The guy turned every franchise he touched into a powerhouse. I also think Andy Reid has to be in the convo as well now. 

EDIT: I just now looked at the list and it occurred to me I hate the pats so much I totally forgot about bellicheck. Lolol. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Without looking, Parcells and Walsh immediately come to mind. 

... Gibbs. 
cowher

holmgren 

and I’m a huge schottenhiemer fan even though he never won a title. The guy turned every franchise he touched into a powerhouse. I also think Andy Reid has to be in the convo as well now. 

EDIT: I just now looked at the list and it occurred to me I hate the pats so much I totally forgot about bellicheck. Lolol. 

Now that you mention Holmgren, without looking at his stats/accomplishments, I'm surprised he's not on there.

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Now that you mention Holmgren, without looking at his stats/accomplishments, I'm surprised he's not on there.

.590 win % over 17 years and 2 teams. 14 winning seasons. 3 Super Bowls total with 2 different teams and a ring. 

he’s most definitely has a much stronger argument than some of the coaches on that list. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Belichick has to be number 1

Shula was far more classy, trustworthy, and has won more games, and has an undefeated season, and wasn’t a cheating piece of ? 

When a very talented team such as the pAts comes to relying on cheating to enhance there own obvious skill, they can no longer be counted among the great teams. They are and always will be a tainted organization. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Shula coached against Halas and went5-4; only active coach left he coached against was BB and Shula was 2-0...

old school guys:  Halas, Lombardi, Landry, Shula, maybe Weeb Ewbanks (jets)...Ditka for charisma, chutzpah and Air Coryell for the passing innovations

modern era; BB, Walsh, Noll, Madden, Parcells, Gibbs, Holmgren, Reid, Jimmie Johnson, Cowher..Bum Phillips and Glanville for some personality

best of the rest: Perkins, Levy, Schottenheimer, best black coach ever - Tony Dungy ?  maybe Bud Grant and Hank Stram and Pete Carroll and George Seiffert at  114-62

Edited by First Round Bust
update

15 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Shula was far more classy, trustworthy, and has won more games, and has an undefeated season, and wasn’t a cheating piece of ? 

When a very talented team such as the pAts comes to relying on cheating to enhance there own obvious skill, they can no longer be counted among the great teams. They are and always will be a tainted organization. 

Belichick is still 1. I hate him but he has been to 9 Super Bowls and won 6. He’s won 31 playoff games. He did this in the free agency era. It’s BB and everyone else. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Belichick is still 1. I hate him but he has been to 9 Super Bowls and won 6. He’s won 31 playoff games. He did this in the free agency era. It’s BB and everyone else. 

Paul Brown won 7 championships. Totally different area, pre-merger. But if there's a case to be made, it's him... Belichick even says Brown was the greatest ever. 

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Paul Brown won 7 championships. Totally different area, pre-merger. But if there's a case to be made, it's him... Belichick even says Brown was the greatest ever. 

When teams had no turnover it was WAY easier. It’s the Red Auerbach argument. He, like Paul Brown, deserves credit but it’s much easier to win when your team is always better. BB doesn’t have that luxury in the salary cap era.

In fact, he has it harder than other contemporaries. Team’s that win consistently end up with players who are overpaid to leave. Guys like Nate Solder and Jamie Collins come to mind. He has also turned over parts of his coaching staff a few different times. The Patriots are constantly tweaking things to remain at the top.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

When teams had no turnover it was WAY easier. It’s the Red Auerbach argument. He, like Paul Brown, deserves credit but it’s much easier to win when your team is always better. BB doesn’t have that luxury in the salary cap era.

In fact, he has it harder than other contemporaries. Team’s that win consistently end up with players who are overpaid to leave. Guys like Nate Solder and Jamie Collins come to mind. He has also turned over parts of his coaching staff a few different times. The Patriots are constantly tweaking things to remain at the top.

The counter point is that he had the greatest qb of all time for 20 years in the passing era. Let's see what he can do without Brady. 

28 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The counter point is that he had the greatest qb of all time for 20 years in the passing era. Let's see what he can do without Brady. 

Brown had Otto Graham, Walsh had Montana and Shula had Dan Marino. All of those QBs also made the NFL 100 QB list. It’s not like those guys won with bad QBs. 

We all hate BB but let’s not pretend that he’s anything other than the best ever. He has had more roadblocks than anyone else (just the nature of a hard salary cap). The system is designed to level the playing field. He has won more big games than anyone else despite playing in that system. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Brown had Otto Graham, Walsh had Montana and Shula had Dan Marino. All of those QBs also made the NFL 100 QB list. It’s not like those guys won with bad QBs. 

We all hate BB but let’s not pretend that he’s anything other than the best ever. He has had more roadblocks than anyone else (just the nature of a hard salary cap). The system is designed to level the playing field. He has one more big games than anyone else despite playing in that system. 

The big difference is that Brown, Walsh and Shula had their qb's for 10 years. Belichick had Brady for 20. 

Just now, Motorin' said:

The big difference is that Brown, Walsh and Shula had their qb's for 10 years. Belichick had Brady for 20. 

Yep and Brown/Graham won 3, Walsh/Montana 3, Shula/Marino 0 and Belichick/Brady 6. So basically those other tandems would have had to produce the same output over the next 10 years (ie 30% of the Super Bowls) to keep pace. BB did that while turning over the roster and coaching staff.

I’m sorry, but there really isn’t much of a debate at this point. I hate Belichick. I find him to be smug and condescending. With that being said, I’m over trying to discredit his incredible career. Tip my cap and move on. Hopefully he hangs up the whistle soon.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep and Brown/Graham won 3, Walsh/Montana 3, Shula/Marino 0 and Belichick/Brady 6. So basically those other tandems would have had to produce the same output over the next 10 years (ie 30% of the Super Bowls) to keep pace. BB did that while turning over the roster and coaching staff.

I’m sorry, but there really isn’t much of a debate at this point. I hate Belichick. I find him to be smug and condescending. With that being said, I’m over trying to discredit his incredible career. Tip my cap and move on. Hopefully he hangs up the whistle soon.

The argument is that it was Brady's greatness over 20 years, not Belichicks. Let's see if Bill can win one without him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Sean Payton is a damn good coach, he is worth mentioning. I’ve always thought that his offenses were impressive. He’s 139-84 all time. Drew Brees/Sean Payton is one of the best QB to HC combos all time. Won a Super Bowl in a city that most folks thought would never get one. 

Tony Dungy is another guy I find highly commendable. Great HC built the Super Bowl Bucs team up from scratch before Gruden came in and won one. Turned the Colts into an unbeatable juggernaut with exception to the Patriots who were their kryptonite. Probably would have been a dynasty if it weren’t for New England. I think that’s overlooked by so many of us fans, without Belichick and Brady, the Colts would have won multiple Super Bowls easily.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The argument is that it was Brady's greatness over 20 years, not Belichicks. Let's see if Bill can win one without him. 

It’s both!! That’s the point. It was both for all of those guys. The salary cap era is way more difficult to win consistently. They had to make decisions along the way that other franchises didn’t. They lost Seymour, Law, Milloy, etc... Brown, Walsh, Shula, etc.. never had to do that. They could keep their best talent together. They all won with great QBs. We can’t pick and choose when it’s the QB and when it’s the coach. Belichick just won more and with  more difficult situation.

There's Belichick

and Lombardi

And then down here, the rest of the list starts.

Of all the coaches on that list, I still like Marv Levy the best, and not just because he coached the Bills.  He was smart and classy, fought in WW 2, and quoted Shakespeare to his players.  I love the idea that when he was speaking to players he would go off on historical tangents and his players couldn't figure out the heck what he was talking about.  I also liked his sense of humor -" You know why Hitler lost WW 2?  He couldn't win on the road."  <rimshot>

But his players loved him, and didn't he do the HOF introductions for all of the players from those Bills teams who have so far been elected to the HOF?  If there was such thing as karma, Levy would have won at least a couple of those superbowls. 

Edited by Artful Dodger