Utah coach on ESPN last night

I was driving around doing DoorDash last night, listening to ESPN radio, when the Utah coach came on for an interview.  They had 7 guys drafted.  When asked about Zach Moss, he said he thought he was the best running back in the draft (of course he would say that).  He said he can do everything.  Run inside, outside, pass block, catch passes, and he's just a great player.  He said he thought he would be a very productive NFL player for the Buffalo Bills.

Solid, Pete.  

Probably not worth its own thread.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It seems like the Zach Moss pick is a very good one, and it was a position of need, but these interviews with the player's former coaches aren't going to be negative.  The coach is not going to say Moss is weak at this and that, should do this better, etc.  The interviews are always complimentary.  Moss should bring power on tough yard situations and am glad he was our third round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Happy said:

It seems like the Zach Moss pick is a very good one, and it was a position of need, but these interviews with the player's former coaches aren't going to be negative.  The coach is not going to say Moss is weak at this and that, should do this better, etc.  The interviews are always complimentary.  Moss should bring power on tough yard situations and am glad he was our third round pick.

Yeah, but they're fun if your team drafted the guy. 

Plus, unless the coach is a jerk, he doesn't lie.   People generally don't say things they don't believe.   He could have said a lot of nice things about Moss without saying "he was the best running back in the draft."   He could have said "he was my favorite running back in the draft."  He could have said "he's as good as running back in the draft."   He could have said "I like him as much as running back in the draft."   All of those perfectly complimentary of his former player, offer a lot of praise.    But of all the things he could have said, what he chose to say is that Moss was "the best running back in the draft."  

So sure, it's all coach-speak and fluff, I get that.   Still, the guy's words mean something.  

• Like (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, but they're fun if your team drafted the guy. 

Plus, unless the coach is a jerk, he doesn't lie.   People generally don't say things they don't believe.   He could have said a lot of nice things about Moss without saying "he was the best running back in the draft."   He could have said "he was my favorite running back in the draft."  He could have said "he's as good as running back in the draft."   He could have said "I like him as much as running back in the draft."   All of those perfectly complimentary of his former player, offer a lot of praise.    But of all the things he could have said, what he chose to say is that Moss was "the best running back in the draft."  

So sure, it's all coach-speak and fluff, I get that.   Still, the guy's words mean something.  

Agreed. So many people are so jaded now and operate from a position of assuming everything is BS. Sad state of affairs. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

As some will say he already has high miles on the tires

I don't care about that; give us the 5 best years of your career initially and if you're done after that, Mr. Beane will handle things appropriately. 

21 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

He mentioned that in 2018 Zach led the nation in total yards from scrimmage.  That's pretty impressive, right?  

Definitely.

Also, you have to give a lot of credit to Utah's coach, Kyle Whittingham, for the Utes being able to produce some very good teams and players during his time there.

Utah is not an area where people automatically think of great college football, even with Brigham Young's moment of dominance in the mid 80's, but the Utes have a come a long way and have become a top team in the Pacific 12.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I was driving around doing DoorDash last night, listening to ESPN radio, when the Utah coach came on for an interview.  They had 7 guys drafted.  When asked about Zach Moss, he said he thought he was the best running back in the draft (of course he would say that).  He said he can do everything.  Run inside, outside, pass block, catch passes, and he's just a great player.  He said he thought he would be a very productive NFL player for the Buffalo Bills.

Solid, Pete.  

You buried the lead...

Did people get cold food because you were waiting in your car for Utah's coach to finish his interview? ?

• Haha (+1) 5

It really is (lucky? a head scratcher? puzzling?) how the Bills got him as RB#9 in the draft.  I did not pay much attention to him prior to the draft because he was not a top 5 guy anywhere I looked and I wanted a top guy but he was worthy of more scrutiny.  Most had him at 6.  He is my kind of runner.  I liked Robb Riddick in his day and James Conner coming out of Pitt.  Very physical, underappreciated runners that challenge a defense in every way except with elite speed which tends not to matter very often.  I think he can do more than Devin which is great if true and having the two of them should give OC Daboll more versatility with the running back position than he has ever had before.  Rotor and Motor.

With all the extra time on our hands, I recommend watching some of his college games.  Just watch how he grinds play after play.  Very few times is he stuffed.  He had a 1 yard TD run (UCLA?) where he beat three tacklers in succession.  He has a great spin move ala Texas Twister Kenny Davis that is a very effective ankle breaker.  There are a number of PAC-12 DBs that should be happy to see him move on to the NFL.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Happy said:

“Former coaches aren’t going to be negative”? Unless you’re Jimbo Fisher talking about EJ Manuel.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Reminds me of Kareem Hunt.

That was my exact comment to my friends after we drafted him. His running style is more upright, like kareem hunt, similar size and 40 time.

The tackles he shrugs off without losing his momentum is really impressive

Great balance as well.

He is pro ready.  Very excited about the Pick

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, chris heff said:

“Former coaches aren’t going to be negative”? Unless you’re Jimbo Fisher talking about EJ Manuel.

I don't remember that.  What did Jimbo say, if you don't mind?

3 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Solid, Pete.  

kudos to you for keeping the economy going ?

I watched a YouTube with Zach and the host yesterday, the host had Zach doing film reviews of some of his college games.  It appears he is well adept at reading defenses at the line as well the D backs. He explained his concept on how to use his blockers to avoid not only the opponent in front but as well coming laterally from behind. He has a good spin move, knows exactly we’re to place a stiff arm, and use techniques he referred to as an old school leg  movement to avoid low tacklers on the D. Really smart kid, knows what he is up to. Excellent pick by Beane, who also knows what he is up to. ??

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 7

I had a top 5 RB list,  a lower list of okay players and Moss in between the two groups.   I thought we were screwed when we passed over Dobbins (taken next by the Ravens who are swooning over him here in the Baltimore area), because Moss was going to be gone before our next pick, regardless of how much we might move up.  Getting him in the third made everything good again.  Dobbins and somebody else at #86 is nowhere as good as Espensa and Moss.  I think we were damn lucky.

I think that a coming thing in the NFL is the small fast running back who is also a legitimate wide receiver.  Swift, Helaire and Gipson are such players. 

• Like (+1) 2