NFL Schedule leaks

One of the NFL scheduling guys was on WGR a couple weeks ago and said the Bills were the #1 most requested team for prime time games by the tv stations. They looked at the ratings for the Thanksgiving and Pats Saturday night games and see the Bills as the hottest ticket.

That said, I personally am not a fan of getting the Prime Time games since I'm an old fogey. I'll take 16 games at 1pm Sunday please.

But I expect the Bills to get at least 3 Prime Time games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tortured Soul said:

Seems weird to do it on a Saturday, if days are still a thing.  It's usually on a Tuesday, no?

May 9th is a bit of a moving target. The official NFL statement was that the schedule was expected to be released no later than Saturday, May, 9, 2020.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

One of the NFL scheduling guys was on WGR a couple weeks ago and said the Bills were the #1 most requested team for prime time games by the tv stations. They looked at the ratings for the Thanksgiving and Pats Saturday night games and see the Bills as the hottest ticket.

That said, I personally am not a fan of getting the Prime Time games since I'm an old fogey. I'll take 16 games at 1pm Sunday please.

I prefer Sunday at 1:00 as well but not only will the Bills get primetime games but also a lot of 4:05/4:25 games with the NFCW/AFCW.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I may quibble, I believe he said they were starting to get requests for them where they never did in the past. Let's be honest the big draws on the games you mentioned were the Cowboys and Patriots.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

I would not be surprised if they give us another Thanksgiving day game due to ratings last season.

This is a cool idea. If you win in Dallas / Detroit (alternates each year) you get to host the 3rd Thanksgiving game the following year.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Tortured Soul said:

Seems weird to do it on a Saturday, if days are still a thing.  It's usually on a Tuesday, no?

Normally they announce this on a Thursday.

Wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I am with you on that they get at least 3 Prime Time Games.   I like the 1 pm games too but don't mind a night game or two sprinkled in.  

29 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

If I may quibble, I believe he said they were starting to get requests for them where they never did in the past. Let's be honest the big draws on the games you mentioned were the Cowboys and Patriots.

I think the Steeler Game was very highly rated also.  

I am considered on this board a cheerleader for the International Series Games.... I think that is a slight mischaracterisation... but I do officiously correct the mistruths spoken about them by people who frankly just don't like them and then try and construct a rationale to support it.

That said, there should definitely not be any international series games in 2020 or maybe even in 2021 depending on how long life takes to return to a proper normal. If 2021 is the first post Covid season with fans in the stands (it could well be) then my view would be it remains unwise to have international series games until that is proven not to be a risk.

43 minutes ago, eball said:

That would be a disappointment.  I'm predicting 3-4.

Same. I think:

Chiefs @ Bills is a SNF

Bills @ 49ers is either a TNF or a MNF

Then I reckon we have 1 divisional game televised (probably v Jets - think Allen v Darnold is the best story) plus maybe one of Seattle, Pittsburgh or the Rams.

Bills are a good team, ascending players, were a big thanksgiving draw and have an attractive looking schedule.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am considered on this board a cheerleader for the International Series Games.... I think that is a slight mischaracterisation... but I do officiously correct the mistruths spoken about them by people who frankly just don't like them and then try and construct a rationale to support it.

That said, there should definitely not be any international series games in 2020 or maybe even in 2021 depending on how long life takes to return to a proper normal. If 2021 is the first post Covid season with fans in the stands (it could well be) then my view would be it remains unwise to have international series games until that is proven not to be a risk.

Same. I think:

Chiefs @ Bills is a SNF

Bills @ 49ers is either a TNF or a MNF

Then I reckon we have 1 divisional game televised (probably v Jets - think Allen v Darnold is the best story) plus maybe one of Seattle, Pittsburgh or the Rams.

Bills are a good team, ascending players, were a big thanksgiving draw and have an attractive looking schedule.

I would love chiefs at Bills on SNF. 

46 minutes ago, golfball323 said:

This is a cool idea. If you win in Dallas / Detroit (alternates each year) you get to host the 3rd Thanksgiving game the following year.

As fun as thanksgiving was, and as understanding as my wife and mother were of the bills playing last year. I would feel bad about making 2 thanksgivings in a row about the bills. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

That would be a disappointment.  I'm predicting 3-4.

Im used to being disapponted when it comes to the bills on the primetime schedule. I feel the bills will at the very least have games that have an easy chance to be flexed out of the slot, in case they dont perform well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 416BillsFan said:

I may have to try to find the audio. I went back and checked my texts from that day, and they do mention being the top requested team.

Either way, I disagree that the Cowboys and Pats were the draws. We had very high ratings for the Steelers game too. The common factor across all the highest rated regular season games last year was the Bills. It may have been people wanting to see how the young, upstart Bills do against those teams, but the Bills were the draw.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

May 9th is a bit of a moving target. The official NFL statement was that the schedule was expected to be released no later than Saturday, May, 9, 2020.

I believe Cowherd said he went to FOX, who went to the NFL and got the release moved to Thursday. That way, Cowherd and the rest get of the sports talk world get a full show on Friday, and the NFL owns the airwaves for Friday and thru the weekend, rather than burying it by announcing on Saturday. Is it true? Did I dream that? Not sure......

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I may have to try to find the audio. I went back and checked my texts from that day, and they do mention being the top requested team.

Either way, I disagree that the Cowboys and Pats were the draws. We had very high ratings for the Steelers game too. The common factor across all the highest rated regular season games last year was the Bills. It may have been people wanting to see how the young, upstart Bills do against those teams, but the Bills were the draw.

even though people here trash him, Allen is considered an exciting QB around the league

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I believe Cowherd said he went to FOX, who went to the NFL and got the release moved to Thursday. That way, Cowherd and the rest get of the sports talk world get a full show on Friday, and the NFL owns the airwaves for Friday and thru the weekend, rather than burying it by announcing on Saturday. Is is true? Did I dream that? Not sure......

If Colin Cowturd said it, then it is ABSOLUTELY true (in his own egotistical head)...

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

If Colin Cowturd said it, then it is ABSOLUTELY true (in his own egotistical head)...

But it DOES make a lot of sense. It’s all about being the sport that owns our attention. All year ‘round.