50 Years ago... 5/4/70 Four Dead in Ohio

T&C

I remember my 7th grade science teacher supported the soldiers.  He was a crotchety old guy. He said if you compare mass x velocity squared of a bullet from a gun versus a brick being thrown, it was a fair fight.  I didn’t buy it at the time, and the more I thought about it, the more I thought he was nuts. 

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1

watched a documentary on this. This incident built up over a few days after the student protesters burned down a campus ROTC building the day before. A sobering reminder that the military is not employed in defense of the people 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

And yet, all you see on social media today is Star Wars...unbelievable...

What would you expect?   Fifty years ago was grampa and grandma's generation.    The same a WW I would have been for kids in 1970.    

Young people always look forward, hardly ever back.    Which is why history repeats, generation after generation...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, stuvian said:

watched a documentary on this. This incident built up over a few days after the student protesters burned down a campus ROTC building the day before. A sobering reminder that the military is not employed in defense of the people 

Do you remember the name of the documentary... or is it on you tube? I'm a sucker for historical documentaries... for the most part. The history of disco wouldn't work here though.

If you remember the name of it... it would be appreciated here.

1 minute ago, T&C said:

Do you remember the name of the documentary... or is it on you tube? I'm a sucker for historical documentaries... for the most part. The history of disco wouldn't work here though.

I seem to recall watching it on my tv so I want to say it was on Netflix but if I recall correctly, the program was not exclusively about that incident 

I'll surf around and look for it

18 minutes ago, T&C said:

The day the 60s died 

• Thank you (+1) 1

One of the most influential days of my life. Protests that were non violent and flower power was more important than a friggen phrase. NOT ONE WEAPON WAS NEEDED OR USED.

Today we watch a??'s think that protesting with an AR 15 and guns is cool. 

We cared about society as a whole. We wanted the world to be a better place. We did not think of individual freedoms.

We tried to stop violence and war....Today they want to insight violence. 

Make love not war was not a just a slogan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I was 20 and a sophomore at Buff State on May 4, 1970.  Kent State and Buff State were similar institutions -- inexpensive state schools with significant percentages of  their students being in the first generation of their families to attend college.  Neither school was a hot bed of student protest against the Vietnam war until the Nixon administration launched the ill-fated invasion of Cambodia when the US was already engaged in peace talks in Paris with North Vietnam.  On May 6, 4 protesters at the UB were shot and wounded by Buffalo police.  On May 8, state and local police killed 2 protesters and wounded 12 at Jackson State College, an historically black college located in Natchez, MS.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

One of the most influential days of my life. Protests that were non violent and flower power was more important than a friggen phrase. NOT ONE WEAPON WAS NEEDED OR USED.

We cared about society as a whole. We wanted the world to be a better place. We did not think of individual freedoms.

Absolutely true.  The protest movement took a decidedly violent turn after the killings at Kent and Jackson State as various anti-war and civil rights groups splintered into a myriad of smaller groups, some of which advocated violence like bombings and killing the police.   Thank you, Richard Nixon.  May you roast in hell.

• Like (+1) 2

Just saw Sweet Baby James

SHOWER THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE WITH LOVE!!

Come on people, love one another! (Youngbloods)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

What would you expect?   Fifty years ago was grampa and grandma's generation.    The same a WW I would have been for kids in 1970.    

Young people always look forward, hardly ever back.    Which is why history repeats, generation after generation...

Also only 4 people killed? Isn't that a normal day in 'Merica?

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Absolutely true.  The protest movement took a decidedly violent turn after the killings at Kent and Jackson State as various anti-war and civil rights groups splintered into a myriad of smaller groups, some of which advocated violence like bombings and killing the police.   Thank you, Richard Nixon.  May you roast in hell.

As Hunter S Thompson said of Nixon after his death: "He was so crooked that they had to screw him into the ground"

Here's a great book on the splinter groups of that period. Fantastic read.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Days_of_Rage.html?id=QPUVBAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

A family friend took me and a couple early teen buddies on a trip in the early 70’s and we went to the campus. They had bullet marks in some sculptural artwork on campus. I’m glad they left that there, and it made an impression upon this young kid. 

Incomprehensible to this day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1