What is the one spot on the roster that still has a hole?

33 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Punter.

But it feels great to have that as an answer!  Bojo makes me very nervous, even though he played better as the season wore on.  He seems still to be a shank waiting to happen.

This. Do you remember the talent-less days that Brian Moorman was our best player?  It feels great that our punter is our weak point if we have to have one.

Offensive Coordinator.  Daboll needs to be better, especially in the play calling department.  Josh should get better on execution as he is gaining experience and the game is slowing down for him.  That leaves Daboll as not trying to outsmart the defense by changing a tactic that is working; keep attacking a vulnerability until the other team proves they can stop it, not before.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

He is a gunslinger.  He needs to get back to that mentality.  And he should run when he can.  He is a great running QB.  Basically don't be afraid to make mistakes.  Let it rip.  We did not draft him to be a game manager.  If he stays cautious, that's on the coaches.  

This. 100% this. I don't want safe Josh Allen. Or game manager Josh Allen. He just isn't that kind of player. He is at his best as a gunslinger, ball in his hands and playing a bit of hero ball in spots. If the Bills wanted a game manager they drafted the wrong Quarterback. I don't believe they did want that though. Put the ball in Josh's hands and let him throw. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, He was pressured a lot. He was also one of the QBs who held the ball longest, as ranked from quickest to slowest, he was 29th, as per Next Gen Stats. It's not difficult to see that there is likely to be a bit of correlation there. Hold the ball longer and you make the job of the OL harder. In fairness it goes the other way too. This OL wasn't bad by any means. But equally they sure weren't great. What they were was professional. Slightly above average, possibly? Hopefully they'll be better this year with a year together under their belts to gel and perhaps someone beating someone else out by playing better.

According to what I read, Allen was ranked 11th @ 2.85 which was the same as Russell Wilson. In my view you need to look at the level of competition the Bills faced in 2019 as most teams they played against weren't very good. The better pass rushing teams, the teams with top pass rushers got in Allen's face far, far too often. The Ravens blitzed around 65% of their defensive snaps and Buffalo had no answer...except to keep asking Allen to throw. Which was literally moronic considering that the Bills run game was working. 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Now taking all that into consideration, Football outsiders has Allen as the 2nd most pressured QB in the NFL last season @ a 39.3 pressure rate. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/quarterbacks-and-pressure-2018

The 2020 Bills opponents look to be much more difficult and since the Bills made the playoffs 2 of 3 of the last 3 years, teams will be gunning for them. No more flying under the radar. The line play will be exposed over the course of the season and we will see who is quality and who isn't. I expect major changes coming to the line again after this season.

I really don't have much faith in these starters considering the level of competition they faced vs how that line fared against the Patriots, Ravens and how they were all literally manhandled by the Eagles was eye opening to me. 

Allen plays so much better when he isn't under constant pressure and the Bills OC is working that run game. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We don't have any journeymen as starters. You're right, though that we also don't have any All-Pros. But I'd argue that Rex lucked into Incognito as he was available cheap. Credit to him for reaching out to Richie, but if Incognito hadn't lost it, he'd likely still be here. This regime loved having him till it became impracticable. Can you point out any Richie Incognitos out there for being picked up? I can't.

But Cam Newton didn't prove that running QBs don't last in this league. He proved that some running QBs don't last in this league. All you have to do is look at Russell Wilson to see that it's possible to last. But fair enough that it can be dangerous.

Rex did luck into Incognito as no other team wanted to take a chance on him and it paid off with all pro seasons at LG in Buffalo. He made the Bills run game, pass game better.

Ryan did attempt to obtain un drafted 6'4'' 320lb OT/OG from LSU, La"el Collins who Ryan wined and dined to lure him to Buffalo. Ultimately though, he chose Dallas. He has been their starting RT the last few seasons. 

Cam Newton represents one of running QB's that have suffered serious injuries from running the ball as big, tough as that player is...Kinda like someone else we all know.

Another would be RG3, Mike Vick who suffered a broken leg on a scramble. However, you are right with Russell Wilson, a 9 year vet hasn't seen anything serious from all his scrambles. This is somewhat an anomaly from what I see as most NFL teams prefer their QB's in the pocket as the percentages from serious injuries favor those pocket passers. Then again, look at Alex Smith...

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

@Gugny helped me see the light. Long snapper is a need.

Fact:  the Bills have not gone to the Super Bowl since letting Garrison Sanborn go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Allen plays so much better when he isn't under constant pressure and the Bills OC is working that run game. 

Rex did luck into Incognito as no other team wanted to take a chance on him and it paid off with all pro seasons at LG in Buffalo. He made the Bills run game, pass game better.

Incognito was good in Buffalo, no question. He was never an all pro. He was a pro bowler all three years here (I think as an alternate the first two years and a straight up selection in 2017 but I'd have to check that).

Holes no, need to improve rt tackle and guard, though it may given guys here, nickle corner though with Norman... could be and big safety/mobile linebacker.. other than that we will see.  

Edited by North Buffalo

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

There really are no visible holds.....there are some areas that if a starter goes down and a reserve is called up.....how good is that player behind them in a couple of spots

I really dont think OL and LB are the weak spots that ppl think they are......

Believe there will be no shortage of visible holds especially with a shortened training camp.

11 hours ago, CommonCents said:

The most glaring hole is between Daboll’s ears. It’s only noticeable for about half of the game. 

Sort of like saying OC when subject is about roster?  Those cents are rusted.

I did not read all the posts in this thread but a search of "big nickel" came up empty.   Not one post with this answer.  But, we are to believe that the Bills had it assessed as enough of a priority to be willing to move up from #54 to get Dugger, a 24 year old, DII safety with a recent injury history?   It makes no sense to me.  

14 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I would say the LB spot left open by losing Lorenzo Alexander. I'm excited to see what Vosean Joseph brings but maybe we can bring in a vet on a minimal contract for a year? The rest of the defense and the rest of the team for that matter is about as close to set as it can be except this one spot I think. Milano on one end, Edmunds in the middle and maybe someone like Clay Matthews on a one year cheap deal? He had 8 sacks and 2 forced fumbles last year in 13 games. He's 34 and obviously not completely what he once was but on a one year minimal deal and bringing a veteran presence and solid production last year. Why not? We might feel good about what we have although we did have Kirksey come in for a visit so, who knows?

I honestly don't think Lorenzo Alexander will be missed a lot.  

His base position of SLB (Strongside Linbebacker) will be manned by A.J. Klein, who was brought in during free agency.  Klein isn't a spectacular player, but he's a pretty solid veteran and has started the last 3 seasons for the Saints.  In my opinion, the loss here will be marginal.

Most of the time, the Bills defense will actually be in nickel.  This means two linebackers (Milano, Edmunds) and either Taron Johnson or Siran Neal covering the slot receiver.  Over the last few years, Alexander has often slid onto the defensive line when the Bills go into Nickel.  With the additions of Quinton Jefferson and A.J. Epenesa, I don't believe Alexander will be missed much in the pass rushing rotation either.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I would say the LB spot left open by losing Lorenzo Alexander. I'm excited to see what Vosean Joseph brings but maybe we can bring in a vet on a minimal contract for a year? The rest of the defense and the rest of the team for that matter is about as close to set as it can be except this one spot I think. Milano on one end, Edmunds in the middle and maybe someone like Clay Matthews on a one year cheap deal? He had 8 sacks and 2 forced fumbles last year in 13 games. He's 34 and obviously not completely what he once was but on a one year minimal deal and bringing a veteran presence and solid production last year. Why not? We might feel good about what we have although we did have Kirksey come in for a visit so, who knows?

I would agree that LB would be a spot we still could improve at,  also the tackle position. 

15 hours ago, HOUSE said:

None, Zero, Nada

Agreed.  I don't think we have any holes per se.  We have positions that can be upgraded.  AJ Klein is probably the weak link at the linebacker position considering Milano and Edmunds may perform at a near pro bowl level or better, but he's not a terrible starter.  We aren't even certain who will start at cornerback across from Tre White,, but we have 3 candidates who all have starting experience and have at least been adequate in the past.  We have a tight end who dropped some passes last year, but he's a young kid who was underutilized in college and has the potential to become MUCH better.  We have an offensive line comprised of mo0stly adequate to pretty good players, aside from center which is very good.  My understanding of a "hole" is a position where your starter is an inadequate player, whose substandard play is such that it presents a significant risk to team success.  We don't have that.

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I did not read all the posts in this thread but a search of "big nickel" came up empty.   Not one post with this answer.  But, we are to believe that the Bills had it assessed as enough of a priority to be willing to move up from #54 to get Dugger, a 24 year old, DII safety with a recent injury history?   It makes no sense to me.  

Good thought.  I'm not sure I'd call it a hole as Buffalo had a pretty good defense without a true big nickel last season Siran Neal played the role last year.  He's not an undersized DB, but he's not a 220 lb thumper either.  That kind of big nickel would be a potential upgrade to an already solid defense, but the lack thereof doesn't seem to be hurting the defense all that much.

16 hours ago, gjv001 said:

As ESPN kept reminding us during each Bills draft selection, Josh Allen was the third most pressured QB last season. That being said, I would think we still have something to plug on the Oline.

They should have also reminded everyone that Allen held the ball for an incredibly long time because no receiver could get open.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the one spot the team should most be worried about is cb2. Levi was downright awful at times last year, consistently getting picked on. The pass defense was significantly better with Kevin Johnson. Norman is old and Gaines is a walking injury report. McDermott has shown he can coach the secondary up but I'd feel much more comfortable had they kept Johnson and dropped Levi. 

16 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I completely forgot about AJ Klein lol

lol, you were saying if we can get someone in like a Clay Matthew to replace Lorax we'll be good at LB. And I was thinking, like AJ Klein?

53 minutes ago, yungmack said:

The only position that makes me nervous is QB, and I'm not even that nervous about it. Best off season for tranquility in decades.

I made it the the Ravens game last year. Admittedly not a good game for Josh. But there was this guy in the stands behind me, every time Josh dropped back to through he had this panic attack scream like "nooooooo" like he was living in terror that he was going to make the wrong choice and throw a pick or something. I regret not telling him to stfu.