How will we handle final roster decisions if there is no/little camp or preseason?

We posters won't be involved at all.  Not sure what Beane will do.

I think its possible the NFL expands the roster size for several weeks if camp/pre-season needs to be shortened.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I think there will be be camp at least.  Pre-season maybe not, but I can see it happening.

They MUST have a camp, and probably at least one preseason game. You don’t just show up, get dressed and trot out for a game. It’s obviously not that easy. SO.........a shorter camp, a shorter preseason schedule (which should happen regardless, I think two games is the right number, four is crazy!), and significantly expanded Practice Squads. You get to protect your new guys this year until proper evaluation can be completed. 

Strange times, we all have to adapt. 

• Like (+1) 2

I believe that McD has a really good handle on who he wants to keep before the preseason even happens.  He has seen the best and the worst of most of the players and extensive video on the rookies.  When I think about the positions that are really up for grabs, we're talking mainly about depth or rotational players.  For the people who really do their research before they sign or draft a player, they probably have a fairly high confidence level about each players assessment.  The teams that do a pathetic job of player evaluation will be the ones that do all the whining if the preseason is cut short.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And allow more movement back and forth from the active roster.

Without having players poached in the process of up to the 53 and back to the PS.  

• Like (+1) 2

I'm kind of a broken record on this, but in my opinion, with the limited practice, training camp, and team activities, continuity will be of enormous value this season. The Bills are especially well positioned in this regard. If the season started tomorrow, the Bills would be firing on all cylinders. That cannot be said of any other team in our division, and few in the NFL as a whole. Many teams are going to have an exceptionally clumsy start to the season, with limited installs of their systems, and limited playbooks. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Happy said:

Same as always, put names of all players associated with the Bills in a bag and the coaching staff draws to see who makes the roster.  Here's the catch - it has to be done by process; McD chooses first, Daboll on defense and Frazier on offense.  That is not a typo.  The OC chooses defense, and vice versa, to avoid favorites.

Happy-dumb.png

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

All NFL players, staff, media, etc... without preexisting conditions should just be injected with the virus now and quarantined for a month so they don't have to worry about catching it or spreading it come July.  I want to watch football damn it.

That is fine as all voting or advocating for it need to work in COVID-19 wards without protective gear until cure is found.

Taking bets on when each new volunteer will die will replace sports in mean time.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

significantly expanded Practice Squads. You get to protect your new guys this year until proper evaluation can be completed. 

This is what will need to take place. These teams can’t expend a years worth of effort for the draft, not have a normal camp and then lose the players they picked. Weird times call for weird solutions. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, GreggTX said:

This could go 1 of 2 ways, I think. You either assume rookies will be upgrades to the roster or you err on the side of caution and stick with your veterans. I think teams in 'win now' mode might be more cautious and rebuilding teams will go with their rookies. In any case, the roster cut down process will possibly be the most interesting in a long while.

We? Endless debates, mindless rants, calls to light torches and break tables, broken F5 keys and pleas for alternate ways to watch because usually way is not working.

Oh you meant the Bills? Why did you not say so!

22 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Maybe expand the Practice Squads to allow teams to keep and protect some rookies?

In the absence of the ability to truly vet the ton of new guys added this off season, I think this makes immense sense. NFL should move on this. Especially if, as the experts are predicting, this virus takes off again in the fall.

21 hours ago, Direhard Fan said:

Raise the practice squad to 16 now and have those players frozen from other teams stealing them.  

so give the teams far more control after the players already have less ability to showcase themselves? 

got to give the actual players some extra ability to get to better situations for themselves - if expanding the PS make it easier not harder to move teams 

23 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It will be a mix imo, we will keep guys like Zack Moss, Fromm, Bass, and likely one of the two lower round WRs, and try to stash who we can on IR and the PS. The FA haul will almost  take care of itself, erring on the side of the most known/valuable guys.jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

I'd say Bass is one they'd need to see a ton of practice from before handing him the job. He's from the south and one of the draft knocks on his was kicking in bad weather.