How will we handle final roster decisions if there is no/little camp or preseason?

This could go 1 of 2 ways, I think. You either assume rookies will be upgrades to the roster or you err on the side of caution and stick with your veterans. I think teams in 'win now' mode might be more cautious and rebuilding teams will go with their rookies. In any case, the roster cut down process will possibly be the most interesting in a long while.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've been wondering this since the draft. Will teams be forced to make roster decisions with little more information than they have today? It seems unfair to all, perhaps undrafted free agents more than anyone as well as late round picks.

I'm hoping if there is no/little camp/preseason that rules are adjusted. Not quite sure how, perhaps expanded rosters to start the season?

• Like (+1) 1

It will be a mix imo, we will keep guys like Zack Moss, Fromm, Bass, and likely one of the two lower round WRs, and try to stash who we can on IR and the PS. The FA haul will almost  take care of itself, erring on the side of the most known/valuable guys.jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

Suggestion to the NFL...

Given the extenuating circumstances posed by the Corona Virus, it is recommended that you increase the practice squad from 12 to 16 players for the 2020 season. While not a perfect solution, this will make up for the compressed schedules to coach and evaluate players. Expanded Practice Squad will provide some career opportunity to players who are on the bubble if only for the need for more evaluation time.

(related note: Practice Squad is 14 players starting in 2022)

• Like (+1) 2

For many positions we already know who makes the team but certainly not all. 

Roster Question marks: 

CB - Levi, Gaines and Norman

Right side of OL - would like to see a real competition with Feliciano, Cody, Nyseke and the new free agents 

DL -  need to compete to see top 9 and which groupings work best. 

LB’s. - need competition for backup slots.  What does Joseph look like, etc.  

ST - kicker competition, DiMarco spot in question with new acquisitions from free agency and UDFA; gunners, timing and familiarity on all units is a concern.  

WRs - competition  for 4,5 and 6 slots and the overall need to work with Allen.  

Same as always, put names of all players associated with the Bills in a bag and the coaching staff draws to see who makes the roster.  Here's the catch - it has to be done by process; McD chooses first, Daboll on defense and Frazier on offense.  That is not a typo.  The OC chooses defense, and vice versa, to avoid favorites.

• Haha (+1) 1

giphy.gif

Well I'm not sure how the fan base react if Josh doesn't get his name called here. I dont have much confidence in Barkley or Fromm

Edited by DJB

2 hours ago, boater said:

Suggestion to the NFL...

Given the extenuating circumstances posed by the Corona Virus, it is recommended that you increase the practice squad from 12 to 16 players for the 2020 season. While not a perfect solution, this will make up for the compressed schedules to coach and evaluate players. Expanded Practice Squad will provide some career opportunity to players who are on the bubble if only for the need for more evaluation time.

(related note: Practice Squad is 14 players starting in 2022)

Personally I'd go one step further and expand the active roster to maybe 60 players and bump the salary cap up too for 1 year.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd guess 49 or 50 of the roster spots are already known with the final 3-4 simply dependent on how many spots they want per position.  Will they keep DiMarco - sadly probably yes. If they do then they probably can only keep 3 TE's. Will they carry 3 QBs?  If so then then may only be able to go with 5 WR.  They signed two free agents that only play ST's but after drafting two WRs I think Yaiwan Jones may not make the team.  They will have to choose between Yeldon and Taiwan Jones.  I'd take Yeldon for sure.

All 32 teams face the same dilemma. The better managed teams will figure it out. Thank god we have Beane/McDermott to lead the Bills through it. Can you imagine having to rely on Rex, Whaley and crew to manage this process.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

All 32 teams face the same dilemma. The better managed teams will figure it out. Thank god we have Beane/McDermott to lead the Bills through it. Can you imagine having to rely on Rex, Whaley and crew to manage this process.

I was going to say this. Since all teams have the same problem, it comes down to each team's individual ability to overcome it.

Luckily we are one of only a few teams to have the same coach, coordinators, QB, and schemes from last year. That continuity should help our team get off to a faster start than others.

So the answer is to just do the best you can to evaluate the players on film and using whatever virtual practices and training sessions you are allowed over the next few months.

I suspect there will be much larger roster turnover during the season as teams shuffle players and get their first look at guys on the field. So the first few weeks of the season may be quite hectic on the waiver market, trade market, and free agency front as teams scramble to fill unforseen holes.

It’s a challenge, but the cab already increased the practice squad and the game day squad slightly, our highest picks are DE, and RB as all of you know who typically can perform without as much prep as a QB, OL, WR, DT, and in some cases if not the same fit CB.  

We have an experienced team unlike on offense last year where we had 9 of 11 new starters.  Fromm and Bass are backups and been drafted for that reason, and possibly Bass can compete with House $.

All NFL players, staff, media, etc... without preexisting conditions should just be injected with the virus now and quarantined for a month so they don't have to worry about catching it or spreading it come July.  I want to watch football damn it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

All NFL players, staff, media, etc... without preexisting conditions should just be injected with the virus now and quarantined for a month so they don't have to worry about catching it or spreading it come July.  I want to watch football damn it.

Come on, Roger... Listen to Doc! He's a Doc!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1