The Bills' suddenly deadly WR corps

Looks like the offense and Allen will be better.  Having Diggs you can line up anywhere is formation is huge.  Also, a guy you can go to in 1 on 1 situations.  Buffalo has a legit shot at being special.  

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if the narrative will shift if Allen succeeds? Will people say Diggs, Brown and Beasley are carrying Allen?

Interesting thought. Over the years there have been a few QBs who have made average WRs look good (even great) they get big FA deals and they resort to their old mediocre selves. But many top rated WRs make average QBs look good (even great). It's when you get both (Pats*) it's dangerous. Conclusion - Bills are now dangerous!!  

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I miss the WR group of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Ray Ray McCloud, Jeremy Kerley and Robert Foster with a TE group of Clay, Jason Croom and Logan Thomas. ?

Sometimes the past truths are the funniest. I drank so much Kool Aid that year and Billieved they were good. Now with fresh eyes. Hilarious.

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

We were second on the league, behind Miami, in dropped passes!
     While Josh has to get the ball out faster AND hit the long ball better, it is most definitely not “ All on Josh Allen.”

if our offense is gonna take the next step, it surely is all on Josh.  Everything else is in place on O.  Everything is in place on D.  He has to make the throws and the correct decisions

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

The WRs will help, but it’s all on Josh Allen.

I'm all on board with the notion that Allen needs to get better, but to say it's all on Allen is simply wrong.

Allen has shown very good ability to hit open receivers, particularly if he's in rhythm in the pocket.   He hasn't been consistent enough, to be sure, but he's thrown a lot of beautiful, catchable balls to a lot of open receivers.    

The percentage of plays where Allen has an open receiver is going up, because in addition to the guys he had to throw to last season, he now has Diggs, who actually is better at getting separation than any other receiver on the team.  So Allen is going to have more open receivers, and more open receivers in their primary patterns.   Allen is going to have many more opportunities to throw in rhythm to guys who are open.   If Allen is exactly the same as he was last season, his completion percentage will go up, his yards will go up and his touchdowns will go up.    Why?   Because his throwaways will go down and his throws to covered receivers, that is, the number of 50-50 balls he's forced to throw, will go down.  

So by all means, Josh, get better.   Be better at every aspect of the game.   But if you just do what you did last season, this offense is going to be noticeably better.    And, by the way, when Singletary goes to the sideline, Josh, you'll still have someone you can hand the ball to.   

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

You can’t just aggregate Diggs’ stats into Brown and Beasley’s.  Diggs will be taking catches away from those guys. 

Yes,  and Brown and Beasley will be taking catches away from McKenzie, Foster and Duke.   And the Bills will throw more.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wonder if the narrative will shift if Allen succeeds? Will people say Diggs, Brown and Beasley are carrying Allen?

No, they will say;  “sure, he took them to the SuperBowl, but he only completed 58.7% of his passes. He is an inaccurate bust.”

I've thought about this often since Diggs arrived.   

I think there will be two predominant narratives.   One is that the receivers will be said to be carrying Allen.   The other will be that Allen has made this miraculous leap.   Both will be wrong.   The correct narrative almost certainly will be that Allen has been making steady progress since he arrived in Buffalo and his third season simply demonstrates the cumulative effect of all of the progress he's made.   Diggs will help, no doubt, but Allen's continuing progress will make people think something miraculous has happened.

Unrelated topic, but the other narrative that I've seen developing is that Fromm's football smarts will benefit and push Allen.   The unstated assumption in this newly developing narrative is that Allen isn't smart enough to play the position, that he is an out-of-control guy who needs someone to reign him in.  

We're going into year three of the media making up stuff to justify their continuing conclusion that Allen isn't good enough.  It's an extension of the running narrative that the Bills suck and always will suck.   Eventually, these narratives will change, because Allen will consistently be one of the best QBs in the league, and then the narrative will be "who would have thought that this out-of-control gunslinger ever would have evolved into this?"   

The truth is that Allen is a smart, hard-working, intensely competitive young man, team oriented and a great natural leader.   On top of that he's blessed with great pure physical skills.   The people promoting these narratives will be surprised at his success, but the people who have been paying attention to who he actually is aren't going to be surprised at all.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

John Brown said himself watch out for DK.

If DK clears up his issues with the dropsies (as expected)............... WATCH OUT.

Then the fear with DK is that he could be an injury waiting to happen with the rough style he plays with.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I miss the WR group of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Ray Ray McCloud, Jeremy Kerley and Robert Foster with a TE group of Clay, Jason Croom and Logan Thomas. ?

Capped off by Nate Peterman at QB and an o-line consisting of Dawkins, Ducasse, Bodine, Miller, and Mills. That roster has a legitimate claim as the worst offense of all time. The only player that belonged on the field was Dawkins.

• Like (+1) 1

Shaw66 makes excellent points above, like he said, if all things stay the same as last season, with the addition of Diggs we will be better as a team, we all assume that the receivers group drop rates will be cleaned up as well, ? that and the addition of what I call the Diggs effect will see more catches, yards, points, and wins. These things happening will simultaneously boost our QBs stat sheet, and we will all be happier. It’s only 12:10 pm but after writing this I want a beer ???

Go Bills!!!

Just now, boater said:

It's dependent on Josh Allen's summer project: fix the long ball.

I know he had plans to tr4ain with others, I hope the COVID didn't stop that.

I think much of Allen's completion percentage is due to him taking more low- percentage throws. He's no Capt. Checkdown

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm all on board with the notion that Allen needs to get better, but to say it's all on Allen is simply wrong.

Allen has shown very good ability to hit open receivers, particularly if he's in rhythm in the pocket.   He hasn't been consistent enough, to be sure, but he's thrown a lot of beautiful, catchable balls to a lot of open receivers.    

The percentage of plays where Allen has an open receiver is going up, because in addition to the guys he had to throw to last season, he now has Diggs, who actually is better at getting separation than any other receiver on the team.  So Allen is going to have more open receivers, and more open receivers in their primary patterns.   Allen is going to have many more opportunities to throw in rhythm to guys who are open.   If Allen is exactly the same as he was last season, his completion percentage will go up, his yards will go up and his touchdowns will go up.    Why?   Because his throwaways will go down and his throws to covered receivers, that is, the number of 50-50 balls he's forced to throw, will go down.  

So by all means, Josh, get better.   Be better at every aspect of the game.   But if you just do what you did last season, this offense is going to be noticeably better.    And, by the way, when Singletary goes to the sideline, Josh, you'll still have someone you can hand the ball to.   

Yes,  and Brown and Beasley will be taking catches away from McKenzie, Foster and Duke.   And the Bills will throw more.  

he’s the QB.  It’s in him. Just like it was on Mahomes last year. Whether or not he is “good enough” isn’t the question imo.  He’s good enough. Being good enough and getting the job done are two totally different things.  Last year vs Houston, he did t get the job done. Sure, his targets dropped some passes.  That’s football.  No one remembers the drops. They remember the QB not getting the job done.  

If he can’t improve on his deep ball the defenses will pounce.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

John Brown said himself watch out for DK.

If DK clears up his issues with the dropsies (as expected)............... WATCH OUT.

Then the fear with DK is that he could be an injury waiting to happen with the rough style he plays with.

Or injures his opponents.., just sayin, 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Or injures his opponents.., just sayin, 

Which can easily lead to injuries for himself.

While I am not comparing Knox to Gronk............. Gronk's style did make him a walking injury for himself too. I just hope that isn't the case for Knox.

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Which can easily lead to injuries for himself.

While I am not comparing Knox to Gronk............. Gronk's style did make him a walking injury for himself too. I just hope that isn't the case for Knox.

It certainly can go both ways. 

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I looked back at the wide receiver stats for the 2019 season to see where our WRs ranked in the three main metrics,  Yards / Receptions / TDs.  The Bills will have three different receivers who were all highly productive in 2019.  When you look at their ranks remember that there are 32 teams in the League and all three of our WRs rank inside the top 32 in every category except for Beasley falling to #38 in yards.     

*** Check out the rankings linked to below, they have numerous WR with the same number of TDs clumped together. I'm not sure how they assign individual ranks for WR with the same number of TDs.  That seems a bit arbitrary.

2019 NFL WR RANKINGS

YARDS          RECEPTIONS          TDs ***

Diggs            15                       31                      29

Brown           19                       22                      26

Beasley        38                       25                      27

We have gone from a team with arguably the worst WR corps, to one of the best units in the League in two years.  There are weapons all over this offense now who can score points.  Let's hope that Diggs can get similar production with Allen in Buffalo.  If Diggs is even close to his production last year, this offense is going to be exciting to watch.  I think the days of watching "defensive battles" every Sunday is over.

https://fantasyfootballers.org/wr-wide-receiver-nfl-stats/

Adding a starter from another team should generally result in 2 guys top 32 and a 3rd At least close.

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

That is the real key as many say, a WR is only as good as the person throwing to him.  It was a nice article this morning on Knox as Brown was stating he believes Knox will take a huge step this year.  If we have a season which I think we will albeit with no fans, we should see a big step forward with this offensive unit.  I’m excited for Moss as well as Singletary in the running game.

Diggs, Brown, Beasley

Knox, Kroft

Singletary, Moss

That is a pretty strong Offense.  Can the OL provide the time for Josh to make those throws.   We could be the next KC offense.

• Like (+1) 1