The Bills' suddenly deadly WR corps

I looked back at the wide receiver stats for the 2019 season to see where our WRs ranked in the three main metrics,  Yards / Receptions / TDs.  The Bills will have three different receivers who were all highly productive in 2019.  When you look at their ranks remember that there are 32 teams in the League and all three of our WRs rank inside the top 32 in every category except for Beasley falling to #38 in yards.     

*** Check out the rankings linked to below, they have numerous WR with the same number of TDs clumped together. I'm not sure how they assign individual ranks for WR with the same number of TDs.  That seems a bit arbitrary.

2019 NFL WR RANKINGS

YARDS          RECEPTIONS          TDs ***

Diggs            15                       31                      29

Brown           19                       22                      26

Beasley        38                       25                      27

We have gone from a team with arguably the worst WR corps, to one of the best units in the League in two years.  There are weapons all over this offense now who can score points.  Let's hope that Diggs can get similar production with Allen in Buffalo.  If Diggs is even close to his production last year, this offense is going to be exciting to watch.  I think the days of watching "defensive battles" every Sunday is over.

https://fantasyfootballers.org/wr-wide-receiver-nfl-stats/

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 9

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I looked back at the wide receiver stats for the 2019 season to see where our WRs ranked in the three main metrics,  Yards / Receptions / TDs.  The Bills will have three different receivers who were all highly productive in 2019.  When you look at their ranks remember that there are 32 teams in the League and all three of our WRs rank inside the top 32 in every category except for Beasley falling to #38 in yards.  

YARDS          RECEPTIONS          TDs

Diggs            15                       31                      29

Brown           19                       22                      26

Beasley        38                       25                      27

We have gone from a team with arguably the worst WR corps, to one of the best units in the League in two years.  There are weapons all over this offense now who can score points.  Let's hope that Diggs can get similar production with Allen in Buffalo.  If Diggs is even close to his production last year, this offense is going to be exciting to watch.  I think the days of watching "defensive battles" every Sunday is over.

https://fantasyfootballers.org/wr-wide-receiver-nfl-stats/

The WRs will help, but it’s all on Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That is the real key as many say, a WR is only as good as the person throwing to him.  It was a nice article this morning on Knox as Brown was stating he believes Knox will take a huge step this year.  If we have a season which I think we will albeit with no fans, we should see a big step forward with this offensive unit.  I’m excited for Moss as well as Singletary in the running game.

• Like (+1) 6

Can't argue that Josh Allen is the key, and I would say if he just stays where he was last year--minus a few head scratchers he throws in there just for the Monday highlight shows--this offense will be better.

However, I think the one area that will improve and will be the bigger factor in an improved offense is the run game. First, less Josh, more the backs. And now having two top backs (assuming Moss works out), will make a big difference. Let's face it, by the end of the season Gore was more a liability than a help. A full season of Singletary as #1, and a strong #2 guy, with an o-line that should be better as they get to year 2 of working together (remember, the o-line was completely overhauled last year), and the run game will improve. Because of that, it will give more opportunities in the passing game, and as long as Josh Allen doesn't regress, this offense will be much better. Why? = Better running attack to "matriculate the ball down the field." [You got to be a certain age to know where that comes from.]

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

That is the real key as many say, a WR is only as good as the person throwing to him.  It was a nice article this morning on Knox as Brown was stating he believes Knox will take a huge step this year.  If we have a season which I think we will albeit with no fans, we should see a big step forward with this offensive unit.  I’m excited for Moss as well as Singletary in the running game.

heh?    So I could be an all-pro if Montana or Bradey were throwing to me?

• Like (+1) 2

I think it’s obvious that Diggs, Brown and Beasley will be big time contributors and if Gabe Davis or Isaiah Hodgins can step in at that 4th spot Allen should always have an open receiver. It’s going to take a lot of development on Allen’s part. Knowing where all your receivers are at in their routes and getting the timing down can be tricky. Throw in Knox, Singletary and Moss, it can be tricky to keep track of where everyone’s at. Ideally I’d like to see Allen force the ball to Diggs early and often, especially if he gets lost in his progressions, that’s why he’s here. Between the top 3 someone should always be open but against the better secondaries in the world Allen may have to delegate the ball to Davis, Hodgins, Singletary & Moss. Needless to say our offense went from bottom half of the league to potentially upper echelon. It all rests on Allen’s shoulders and whether or not he can correctly go through his reads. Should be a top 5 offense if we live up to our potential.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

And seeing how Allen gave Brown and Beasley close to career years last season, there should be plenty of optimism.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I really miss Austin Proehl

I miss the WR group of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Ray Ray McCloud, Jeremy Kerley and Robert Foster with a TE group of Clay, Jason Croom and Logan Thomas. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With the additional weapons at Allen's disposal, I believe his job will be easier.  He has grown and will continue to grow. Brown also makes a valid point about Knox. He is going to take on a bigger role this year. People like to point fingers at the drops, but when he gets more reps, he'll improve. Add in a strong running attack and RB's who can also catch, this offense can become dominant. I don't expect KC dominant, but maybe top 10. I am excited. Top 10 offense and a top 5 defense....the possibilities!!!

Our entire team is excellent. There are absolutely no excuses now. If we don’t win playoff games, it’s on the QB. If we can’t win with this team, then we need to go get a vet QB next year and win before we have to start paying these young guys.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The WR Corp is now complete. Last year they essentially played with two WRs and a paperweight. Allen never even looked at the third option. Now, assuming Beasley can get over his dropping issues, it’ll be virtually impossible for the opponents to cover all of these guys, and still keep one eye in our backfield for Singletary. Should be interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

You can’t just aggregate Diggs’ stats into Brown and Beasley’s.  Diggs will be taking catches away from those guys. 

Not really what he was saying.  More that they are all upper tier receivers. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

I appreciate the stats and review, but I think the one thing we can all agree on is there is only one stat that matters when it comes to wide receivers: will Josh Allen ever have a 300-yard game?

Until then, nothing else matters.

Except power rankings.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I appreciate the stats and review, but I think the one thing we can all agree on is there is only one stat that matters when it comes to wide receivers: will Josh Allen ever have a 300-yard game?

Until then, nothing else matters.

Except power rankings.

Yes he will. Are you happy now? ?