My (with help from fellow posters) projected 53 as of now

25 minutes ago, akcash said:

I agree about Adams. I could see Barkley as well not getting a job. I disagree on Davis.

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  Not sure if we want Joseph and Matakavich as out only backup LBs.  That would be a huge mistake 

You think Gabe davis is going to get cut?

Sorry, meant Hodgins. Got them mixed up.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sorry, meant Hodgins. Got them mixed up.  

Gotcha. The realist in me thinks that Hodgins gets cut, but I really think he brings something to the table.  He has great hands and can make the circus catch.  Me being a fan of the kid has be believing that he sticks

40 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Johnson played 66% of ST's Downs and 22% of Defensive Downs as a Rookie...That's pretty good contribution for a 7th Rd pick out of NC A&T...Not saying he's going to develop the way I would like...But if I had to bet on the kid I would...He forced his way onto that Roster last year...It's up to him how good he can be...But again the ceiling is very good...

I like him too. I think he will make the team, get some PT as a rotational guy and have a role on this roster. 

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Gotcha. The realist in me thinks that Hodgins gets cut, but I really think he brings something to the table.  He has great hands and can make the circus catch.  Me being a fan of the kid has be believing that he sticks

6 hours ago, akcash said:

I honestly thought that was what you meant. 

Hey, it could be Hodgins, I don't know.  I'd take Davis right now because he was drafted higher.  But the point was more that I doubt they keep 8 WRs. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Hey, it could be Hodgins, I don't know.  I'd take Davis right now because he was drafted higher.  But the point was more that I doubt they keep 8 WRs. 

I think Gabe Davis is definitely making the team.  If Hodgins makes it it’ll be at the expense of mckenzie/ Roberts/foster 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think Gabe Davis is definitely making the team.  If Hodgins makes it it’ll be at the expense of mckenzie/ Roberts/foster 

That's how it would seem.  But you never know...

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think Andre Roberts did much of anything last year to automatically claim a roster spot.  I believe he had one big kickoff return all season.  I think Taiwan Jones can replace him just fine if needed.  As can Isaiah McKenzie.  I would think the WR's are Diggs Brown Beasley Davis Hodgins and McKenzie.  Really surprised what happened to Robert Foster last year.  Guy caught 3 passes all season.  Duke will get a chance, but he just has to get better all around.  Better at making the tougher catch.  Better at getting separation.  Get a little more explosive.  Get more athletic.  I wonder what his ceiling is.  Not sure yet.  We definitely will have a much deeper group which is great for the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I don't think Andre Roberts did much of anything last year to automatically claim a roster spot.  I believe he had one big kickoff return all season.  I think Taiwan Jones can replace him just fine if needed.  As can Isaiah McKenzie.  I would think the WR's are Diggs Brown Beasley Davis Hodgins and McKenzie.  Really surprised what happened to Robert Foster last year.  Guy caught 3 passes all season.  Duke will get a chance, but he just has to get better all around.  Better at making the tougher catch.  Better at getting separation.  Get a little more explosive.  Get more athletic.  I wonder what his ceiling is.  Not sure yet.  We definitely will have a much deeper group which is great for the team.  

Roberts was among the best in the league in both yards per kickoff and punt return. I’d consider him a lock to make the team.

I struggle seeing Hodgins making the team and I think he’s a likely candidate for the PS.

Duke and Foster are gone. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, akcash said:

OFFENSE

QB Allen Barkley Fromm

RB Singletary Moss Yeldon 

FB Dimarco

TE Knox Kroft Sweeney 

WR Diggs Brown Beasley McKenzie Davis Hodgins

OL Dawkins Spain Morse Ford Nsekhe

Feliciano Bates Long

DEFENSE
DE Hughes Addison Epenesa Murphy Johnson

DT Phillips Oliver Butler Jefferson Lotoulelei 

LB Edmunds Milano Klein Thompson Matakevich 

S Hyde Poyer Johnson Neal Marlowe

CB White Gaines Johnson Norman Wallace 

ST's

K Bass
P Vedvik
LS Ferguson 
KR/PR Roberts

Practice Squad (incomplete)
Duke Williams

Vosean Joseph

Jason Croom

Robert Foster
Dane Jackson

Trey Adams

Notes

I'm not sure if these players are practice squad eligible. If so I'd put them on the PS.

I love the security we get with Andre Robert's as our return guy and I just would like to keep that.

Same with Dane Jackson. I think worse case if we had a run on CBs you could put Neal at corner to get you out of a game.

I also like the versatility Marlowe, Neal and Poyer bring as OLB depth in an emergency situation.

I think our WRs will get situation roles where you'll see Hodgins get some time in the slot to split with Beasley and in red zone situations. I could see the same with Gabe Davis spelling Brown down in the redzone... 

I think Bass makes it and Vedvik beats out Corey B. Gives us a backup kicker and backup KOS. Vedvik has a huge leg and he can concentrate on punting.

I'm super pumped.

The roster Beane and McDermott put together is so stacked and everything is accounted for and backed up. 

Go Bills.

Edit: It was originally a 55 man projection. Thanks to Logic for clarifying the details with that.

"There isn't a 55. It's still a 53.

The new rules state that you can bring two people up from your practice squad on a game week, but at the conclusion of that game, they must be released (and thus, subject to waivers), and then can be placed back on the practice squad. If you choose to keep the two new players on your active roster, you must release two other players. At the conclusion of each game week, there must still be 53 players on the roster."

Credit to a couple people to convinced me to keep Daryl Johnson as well. 

And after some thinking and good points in this thread, I decided to PS Robert Foster.

Credit to RichNoggin for convincing me to keep Corey Thompson. 

Very nice post.  I don't think the Bills are getting the production from Beasley that they could be.  Seems to me he'd be a nearly 100 catch guy in New England.  I think Beasley's  a bill in 2020 but in 2021 if one of the younger guys emerges and with Diggs able to play slot, he's vulnerable given his cost. 

Watching Hodgins film, he looked pretty dominant at Oregon State last year.  6'4 with great hands gives him a chance.  We have noone close to his size on the team.  Can't have the smallest receiver group every year.  

Roberts avg per return is inflated because he was always returning from 8 yards deep in the end zone.  His elusiveness was nil on punt returns.  He doesn't suck.  But another example of McDermott liking marginal veteran players on offense or special teams.  McGhee and McKelvin in their prime were much better at return Kickoffs and punts respectively then Roberts.  

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think he'll be PS this year as the shortened TC and OTAs will limit receivers. I think that will also prevent other teams from plucking him off the PS. After a year of NFL strength training and coaching up he'll be a factor in 2021.

28 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Watching Hodgins film, he looked pretty dominant at Oregon State last year.  6'4 with great hands gives him a chance.  We have noone close to his size on the team.  Can't have the smallest receiver group every year.  

Roberts avg per return is inflated because he was always returning from 8 yards deep in the end zone.  His elusiveness was nil on punt returns.  He doesn't suck.  But another example of McDermott liking marginal veteran players on offense or special teams.  McGhee and McKelvin in their prime were much better at return Kickoffs and punts respectively then Roberts.  

I do wonder if this will change now that our roster is so much stronger.  A lot of what this team does seems modeled on the Patriot Way...and the Pats have had a history of placing developmental players on special teams until they are ready to produce on offense or defense.  What they seem to be doing with Darryl Johnson may be the new model and, if so, I wonder if there is a place for someone like Roberts anymore.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed on Murphy, and Hodgins will probably be on the practice squad, as Roberts is a WR so he would be one of the six.

Murphy won’t be cut. I think Murphy and Long are the most likely to be traded.  

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

I still say that take out Barkley (or Fromm is he doesn't show much) and add Daryl Williams.

I would do this as well. I think they should roll with Allen and Fromm. Then have Webb on the practice squad. 

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It’s tough for me to justify a spot for Roberts and McKenzie. Hopefully one of those guys can win both roles and the other one can be released. We have too much talent to have both of those players.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Being tall shouldn’t be the main reason why a WR makes the team. Hodgins is a developmental prospect and unless he has a great showing at camp (if we have one) then he’s a long shot to make the roster. 

I assume pretty much every returner is taking kicks from out of the end zone.

What data do you have that shows Roberts is the only guy whose numbers are inflated for ALWAYS returning punts 8 yards deep?

Regardless of your feelings, Roberts was top 5 in kickoff returns, top 10 in punt returns and as a team we were 9th in starting field position.

He’s apparently doing his job well so I’m confused as to why you are so adamant on trying to replace him. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Imo Davis and Hodgins both make the team. McKenzie, Duke, Foster are all likely gone.

This.

Unless Foster has made great strides since last year, he's gone. Davis makes his skillset redundant, and if they're even, you go with the rookie you spent a 4th on.

Hodgins makes Duke's skillset redundant, and again, if they're about even, the edge goes to the rookie.

McKenzie, I thought, would be safe, due to his utility as a gadget guy. However, it has recently been pointed out to me that Stefon Diggs is actually quite effective on jet sweeps throughout his career. And "he can run jet sweeps!" isn't enough of a reason to keep a guy on the roster, anyway.

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Hodgins, Roberts. 

If they only keep five on the active roster, Hodgins likely winds up on the practice squad.