Dalton to the Cowboys 1yr $7M per Schefter

21 hours ago, FireChans said:

What two 12M players would you like to see added to the Cowboys right now?

Guys that could help them: clowney and Logan ryan would be great.  Markus golden, Eric Reid, Everson griffen, tony Jefferson, Michael Bennett, Darqueze Dennard, snacks could help as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Guys that could help them: clowney and Logan ryan would be great.  Markus golden, Eric Reid, Everson griffen, tony Jefferson, Michael Bennett, Darqueze Dennard, snacks could help as well.  

I could see an Alec Ogeltree or a Nigel Bradham adding to their linebacker corps. 

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

That sounds like a Cleveland move to me lol

My gut is telling me that the Packer and Cowboys make a block buster trade, Dak for Rodgers. I have no idea what the compensation would be but I have a feeling this might happen. Bears fans will be happy that they get to play against Dak instead of Rodgers. I know when we played against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving it felt like we were playing against a slightly better version of Tyrod. Dak missed on more than a few wide open WR's in that game with poor throws. He also had WR's wide open that he didn't even see. He is probably asking for Mahomes type money which is absolutely ridiculous, good job by Jerry Jones to cover his ass. 

19 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My gut is telling me that the Packer and Cowboys make a block buster trade, Dak for Rodgers. I have no idea what the compensation would be but I have a feeling this might happen. Bears fans will be happy that they get to play against Dak instead of Rodgers. I know when we played against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving it felt like we were playing against a slightly better version of Tyrod. Dak missed on more than a few wide open WR's in that game with poor throws. He also had WR's wide open that he didn't even see. He is probably asking for Mahomes type money which is absolutely ridiculous, good job by Jerry Jones to cover his ass. 

No he’s asking for Russell Wilson type of money which is ridiculous to begin with because Russell himself shouldn’t be getting paid as much as he has been. Honestly though I think it Rodgers is on the move. I think he prefers San Francisco to be his next team of choice, since he grew up a fan and is from Northern California 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Okay, fair enough. I disagree as IMO QB is king, but we’ll give your plan some thought.

So let’s say they trade Dak for like a 2nd because he’s not locked up long term to some team (not sure any team that needs a QB can absorb $30M but whatever.) The Boys decide to sign Griffen, Reid and Jefferson all to two year deals, effectively spending that cap room. Dalton starts, game manages them to 10 wins with 28 TD’s 9 INT’s and 3300 yards. He’s on a 1 year deal. Won’t he demand starter money? Now you have a capped out team without any good QB  under long term contract AGAIN. And you’ve just given a worse QB the exact same leverage as Dak. What are you gonna do now? Let Dalton walk and sign Fitz? Rosen reclamation project? Draft some kid at pick #22? And what about the rest of the team? Amari Cooper is getting paid $25M to catch 50 balls a year for 750 yards?

There’s a reason teams do not do this. There’s a reason QB’s get King’s Ransoms. I get it, paying Dak $150M hurts. And this team will hurt in the short term. But 3 years from now, you can reset a couple contracts and reload for another go around. Look at Russell Wilson. He was a young QB whose contract DECIMATED that after 2 years. But you know what, aren’t they glad in Seattle they didn’t let Russ walk and try to keep the LoB together instead. Because Sherman isn’t old Sherman anymore, Marshawn is out of the league, Malcolm Smith is done, Kam Chancellor retired. Golden Tate is still in the league but most of that offense is done, Sidney Rice, Baldwin, Harvin. ET is still playing at high level. Russ outlasted almost ALL of them. And now they have rebuilt the entire offense and defense and their window is STILL open.

Maybe Wilson closed the window a year or two early on the Old Seahawks. But he’s also the reason the window has been cracked open for the last 6.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We can only hope that the Patriots trade three 1st rd picks for Dak and pay him 5 150 with 100mil guaranteed. 

I, for one, do not hope this happens.  2020 Dak is a major upgrade over 2019 Brady.  And the Patriots were STILL the Bills' daddy with an aging Brady in 2019.  Careful what you wish for.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Okay, fair enough. I disagree as IMO QB is king, but we’ll give your plan some thought.

So let’s say they trade Dak for like a 2nd because he’s not locked up long term to some team (not sure any team that needs a QB can absorb $30M but whatever.) The Boys decide to sign Griffen, Reid and Jefferson all to two year deals, effectively spending that cap room. Dalton starts, game manages them to 10 wins with 28 TD’s 9 INT’s and 3300 yards. He’s on a 1 year deal. Won’t he demand starter money? Now you have a capped out team without any good QB  under long term contract AGAIN. And you’ve just given a worse QB the exact same leverage as Dak. What are you gonna do now? Let Dalton walk and sign Fitz? Rosen reclamation project? Draft some kid at pick #22? And what about the rest of the team? Amari Cooper is getting paid $25M to catch 50 balls a year for 750 yards?

There’s a reason teams do not do this. There’s a reason QB’s get King’s Ransoms. I get it, paying Dak $150M hurts. And this team will hurt in the short term. But 3 years from now, you can reset a couple contracts and reload for another go around. Look at Russell Wilson. He was a young QB whose contract DECIMATED that after 2 years. But you know what, aren’t they glad in Seattle they didn’t let Russ walk and try to keep the LoB together instead. Because Sherman isn’t old Sherman anymore, Marshawn is out of the league, Malcolm Smith is done, Kam Chancellor retired. Golden Tate is still in the league but most of that offense is done, Sidney Rice, Baldwin, Harvin. ET is still playing at high level. Russ outlasted almost ALL of them. And now they have rebuilt the entire offense and defense and their window is STILL open.

Maybe Wilson closed the window a year or two early on the Old Seahawks. But he’s also the reason the window has been cracked open for the last 6.

You compared RW to Dak?  Lol.  

do what you do.  

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

My man, when RW was up for his first contract this exact debate RAGED in TBD. 20+ pages.

My man, that doesn’t matter.  Dak is not RW.  It’s not the same conversation.  Whether or not people were talking about it has nothing to do with it.  Similar situation.  Completely different conversation due to RW being on a different planet than Dak as a football player.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

My man, that doesn’t matter.  Dak is not RW.  It’s not the same conversation.  Whether or not people were talking about it has nothing to do with it.  Similar situation.  Completely different conversation due to RW being on a different planet than Dak as a football player.

Well now he is, sure. In 2014, he threw just 20 TD’s on the year. And he wanted to get paid with the big boys.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Well now he is, sure. In 2014, he threw just 20 TD’s on the year. And he wanted to get paid with the big boys.

.....and led his team to 2 Super Bowls, winning one.  He deserved his pay.  RW won 6 playoff games in 3 years. He proved that he had what it takes to be a champion. How many playoff games has Dak won?  He’s won 1 playoff game in 4 years.  RW played in twice as many SBs (in 3 years) as Dak won playoff games (in 4 years).  It was always apparent to me that RW was in a class above Dak. 

RW was worth the contract.....and the question remains if he’ll win another SB with the Seahawks, let alone make it there.  If he can’t win one while being one of the highest paid QBs, I can’t see a way that the cowboys will win one with Dak taking up 35M of the cap.

the cowboys had a top 2-3 draft, so they have going for them. Paying Amari was a mistake imo.  Nowhere near worth that contract, but the offense is loaded for 2020 and the D isn’t as bad (talent wise) as some may think.  This is Daks chance.  Maybe he can make the playoffs this year

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

In any case - Dak had a career year last year.  4th in the NFL in passing TDs, 2nd in yards.  He's also made 5 million dollars over 4 years.  If you don't want to pay him, someone will.  

He's not Russell Wilson, but he could become a version of him.  He's 26, has improved year over year, never missed a game, made playoffs in 2/4 years and was close the other 2.  He should get similar compensation to at least kirk cousins shouldn't he?

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

.....and led his team to 2 Super Bowls, winning one.  He deserved his pay.  RW won 6 playoff games in 3 years. He proved that he had what it takes to be a champion. How many playoff games has Dak won?  He’s won 1 playoff game in 4 years.  RW played in twice as many SBs (in 3 years) as Dak won playoff games (in 4 years).  It was always apparent to me that RW was in a class above Dak. 

RW was worth the contract.....and the question remains if he’ll win another SB with the Seahawks, let alone make it there.  If he can’t win one while being one of the highest paid QBs, I can’t see a way that the cowboys will win one with Dak taking up 35M of the cap.

the cowboys had a top 2-3 draft, so they have going for them. Paying Amari was a mistake imo.  Nowhere near worth that contract, but the offense is loaded for 2020 and the D isn’t as bad (talent wise) as some may think.  This is Daks chance.  Maybe he can make the playoffs this year

I don't agree with some of the things that the Cowboys have done - but the Dalton moves a smart backup plan if Dak decides to play hardball.  But if Dalton comes in and has a good year - hes going to want 20+ next year anyway.  QB money is constantly escalating so the longer you wait the more you pay anyway.

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

In any case - Dak had a career year last year.  4th in the NFL in passing TDs, 2nd in yards.  He's also made 5 million dollars over 4 years.  If you don't want to pay him, someone will.  

He's not Russell Wilson, but he could become a version of him.  He's 26, has improved year over year, never missed a game, made playoffs in 2/4 years and was close the other 2.  He should get similar compensation to at least kirk cousins shouldn't he?

I don't agree with some of the things that the Cowboys have done - but the Dalton moves a smart backup plan if Dak decides to play hardball.  But if Dalton comes in and has a good year - hes going to want 20+ next year anyway.  QB money is constantly escalating so the longer you wait the more you pay anyway.

I hear ya. Someone will pay him.  Dak is a solid player.  I’m just stating my opinion that 1) if they pay him, they will continue on their similar road of mediocrity. 2). Dak isn’t in the same realm as RW.  Maybe he will be eventually?  I won’t hold my breath 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya. Someone will pay him.  Dak is a solid player.  I’m just stating my opinion that 1) if they pay him, they will continue on their similar road of mediocrity. 2). Dak isn’t in the same realm as RW.  Maybe he will be eventually?  I won’t hold my breath 

They were a weird team last year.  Bad kicking - really poorly timed turnovers - and a defense that didn't take the ball away enough.  But yards wise, points wise, they should've won like 10 games at least.  

Part of why i don't think Jones going to Miami isn't as big a move as others - he has 2 picks in 5 years.  I know INTs aren't everything, but watching their games - he doesn't jump out as even a blanket stop corner.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1