Dalton to the Cowboys 1yr $7M per Schefter

I called this a solid option for Dalton, if for no other reason than putting tape together behind a good line with great weapons, hope to pull a Foles/Tannehill.  His hope has to be getting a lot of preseason action to show he still has it, Dak either holds out or gets hurt, he gets to play with a stud cast and hopefully earns a big contract next year.   Good move on his part.  

The only other places that made sense for a shot to earn a contract from the #2 role was going to be the Browns, Bills, Texans, Bucs, Steelers, Panthers or maybe Arizona.  The Pats have nothing for weapons, but they could win games, not the best spot for a QB to go to get a contract.  Browns and Bills both have weapons and a young qb, so injury risk is pretty low and both are pretty pot committed to their guy, so your not taking the job.  Texans, Watson gets dinged up a lot, but no Hopkins and Bellicheck wannabe over there. Bucs and Steelers are banking on old men, but good teams. Panthers are ok, Teddy hasn't played a full season in years, always a chance of injury, Arizona has mobile and tiny qb, stacked w weapons and qb friendly system, I'd go there, but have to bet on Murry getting hurt there too. 

All things considered,

Id go Bucs, but theres a cap problem.

So Arizona and Dallas are next on my list.

Whos interested and willing to pay?

And here we are in Dallas.

Edited by DCofNC

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

?

How? Because he signed a capable back up?

Rewinding back in time, I recall when Jerry has had more than one capable QB he intervened and injected QB controversy. Maybe he’ll incite drama, maybe he won’t. McCarthy doesn’t necessarily have loyalty to Dak or Andy.

Could be a sideshow is all. Maybe not

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm surprised he's getting paid so little, but the Patriots would have had to make their roster weaker than it already is to afford him. They're gonna roll with Stidham this year, they don't really have a choice. The only other possibility is Cam Newton and he doesn't strike me as a Belichick type at all.

Jamies signed for $1.1m

talk about surprises out there. NE must really not want a qb 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

NE must really not want a qb 

It doesn't make any sense for them to pay a QB. They are still paying Brady $13.5 million in dead cap. Spotrac says their cap space is -$6.2 million when you account for their draft picks (yes that's NEGATIVE $6.2 million). If they cut Sanu that will bring them to $0 in cap space. They're doing the smart thing which is to accept this year as a rebuild year. In 2021 they're currently projected to have $94 million in cap space. Lucky for us I think Belichick is too good to have them tank the season and end up with Lawrence or Fields. But they look like a 6 win team at best to me, and that's only because Belichick is so good. Their roster is a 2 or 3 win roster. Even with Belichick they will be a bottom 5 team in the league IMO. Unless Stidham is way better than anyone thinks, I just don't see it.

Edited by HappyDays

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Wow, the only thing BB has on Shula is a better W-L and 4 more Super Bowls. Good thing those are the only two things that matter.

No Shula has something else that BB doesn’t have and that’s integrity and real leadership. BB is a little boy compared to Shula. Shula was a leader of men. At least Shula didn’t send any of his cronies to video tape other teams practices or deflate footballs. Belichick is a scumbag cheating piece of *****. And yes I count the tuck rule as cheating as well. *****in refs all of a sudden pull a rule out of their asses that’s as never used before. I absolutely despise New England and everything it represents 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

It doesn't make any sense for them to pay a QB. They are still paying Brady $13.5 million in dead cap. Spotrac says their cap space is -$6.2 million when you account for their draft picks (yes that's NEGATIVE $6.2 million). If they cut Sanu that will bring them to $0 in cap space. They're doing the smart thing which is to accept this year as a rebuild year. In 2021 they're currently projected to have $94 million in cap space. Lucky for us I think Belichick is too good to have them tank the season and end up with Lawrence or Fields. But they look like a 6 win team at best to me, and that's only because Belichick is so good. Their roster is a 2 or 3 win roster. Even with Belichick they will be a bottom 5 team in the league IMO. Unless Stidham is way better than anyone thinks, I just don't see it.

The Cheaters might not have wanted Winston (or Newton, who is probably still injured).  And Winston probably saw the skill position players and said his best option was to go with the Saints, for probably the same money the Cheaters would have offered, and try to make a play for Brees' job.  Dalton got more than the Cheaters could pay, goes home, and again has a far better skill position players around him. 

32 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Buffalo really should have considered this.

Dalton already lives in Dallas and there is an opportunity to start there if things don’t work out money wise with Dak. I can’t imagine Dalton would be interested in the backup role in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I could not disagree more strongly. If the Cowboys let Dak hit the market it is a colossal mistake.  

I strongly agree here. I don't know how they let Prescott get away.

27 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

I strongly agree here. I don't know how they let Prescott get away.

I can give you 35 million reasons they let Prescott get away. And also they’ll probably franchise and trade him for draft picks. There’s plenty of QB needy teams that would stupidly overpay for his services. Dak deserves around the 18-24 million range not 35 million. He’s not the kind of QB that can put a team completely On his shoulders. He’s not Marino, Elway or Kelly or even Manning

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I can give you 35 million reasons they let Prescott get away. And also they’ll probably franchise and trade him for draft picks. There’s plenty of QB needy teams that would stupidly overpay for his services. Dak deserves around the 18-24 million range not 35 million. He’s not the kind of QB that can put a team completely On his shoulders. He’s not Marino, Elway or Kelly or even Manning

The thing is, he thinks he's worth $35M+ a year.  I don't know what team will give that to him and thus it makes trading him, much less for decent draft picks, almost impossible.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

The thing is, he thinks he's worth $35M+ a year.  I don't know what team will give that to him and thus it makes trading him, much less for decent draft picks, almost impossible.

Unfortunately there will be a team that’s dumb enough to give him what he wants and immediately will allow him to put them in salary cap hell. You can’t build a team when your QB makes 35 mil+ a year. Dak is being greedy and is thinking more about himself than the team. Jones won’t put up with his BS much longer

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Unfortunately there will be a team that’s dumb enough to give him what he wants and immediately will allow him to put them in salary cap hell. You can’t build a team when your QB makes 35 mil+ a year. Dak is being greedy and is thinking more about himself than the team. Jones won’t put up with his BS much longer

Don't be so sure.  I don't know if any team views him as being worth $35M+.  He'll have to lower his demands.