More 5th year players contracts not picked up

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be interested in both the Davis guys at the right price. Jarrad would start for us immediately at linebacker and be an upgrade on AJ Klein, and while we have upgraded the WR corps we have to be conscious that Beasley is 31 and John Brown is 30. Davis could come into the rotation this year and then if you get him to take essentially the money they are giving to Brown and extend him for a couple of seasons I think for 2021, 2022, 2023 Diggs as the #1 and Davis as the #2 would be pretty sweet. Wouldn't throw much at either though. We only have 7 picks next year (no #4 - Diggs trade; extra #5 - Zay Jones) so a 6th rounder would probably be as much as I'd do for what might be a one year rental on either.

Jarrad Davis is a MLB.  Are you thinking he can play WLB or that he would stay at MLB and Edmunds would move outside?

Corey Davis would be worth a look.

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

In the case of Fournette there's also an entire organization involved which has consistently shown a remarkable ability to ostracize and alienate their own talent / players.

While certainly the Jags do not appear to be especially well run atm, it really shouldn't be that difficult to keep the trap shut and go about playing football, moreso as a RB fcol.

Fournette appears to be something of a head case, irrespective of the team he plays for. I don't think you can blame the team for him getting ejected against the Bills, for example.

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

Jarrad Davis is a MLB.  Are you thinking he can play WLB or that he would stay at MLB and Edmunds would move outside?

I think Jarrad Davis is more of an OLB.  I'm surprised he hasn't worked out as a player.  Maybe he's at the wrong position.  

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't think Jarrad Davis is a mike, never did, and I think that is partly why he has struggled in Detroit. He is bad at sorting through the mess inside and he is poor when he has to drop into coverage zones. I'd prefer him outside, probably as the SAM where his main coverage responsibility will be on tight ends and where it clears him up a bit to go and take on lead blockers.

1 minute ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I think Jarrad Davis is more of an OLB.  I'm surprised he hasn't worked out as a player.  Maybe he's at the wrong position.  

Yea. Detroit have tried to force him to become a mike. I didn't ever think he was that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Jarrad Davis is a mike, never did, and I think that is partly why he has struggled in Detroit. He is bad at sorting through the mess inside and he is poor when he has to drop into coverage zones. I'd prefer him outside, probably as the SAM where his main coverage responsibility will be on tight ends and where it clears him up a bit to go and take on lead blockers.

Yea. Detroit have tried to force him to become a mike. I didn't ever think he was that.

You would think that a rocket scientist like Patricia would have tried that already.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Totally 100% agree with this. He is a great SAM fit and his long arms would help him in 4-3 under looks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Turns out there are few WRs who could justify a #5 overall pick. Only a fraction of receivers drafted in the first round wind up as WR # 1. But I think Davis is still a very desirable commodity. He never developed great chemistry with Tannehill. For most of the year he attracted CB1 coverage helping Brown, he got about 30% fewer targets last year than the year before and had the highest catch % and yards per than the other Titan receivers. Turns out he played most of 2019 with turf toe. It wouldn't surprise me if he had much better 2020 and cash in as a FA.

13 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Alex smith, drew brees, kirk cousins, matt Stafford say hi.  We will see if tanny also takes that path.  

Net net is it can happen if the team is ***** for the first couple years...

Trubisky played poorly as a rookie, improved over his rookie season in 2018, but took a major step backward in his third season.   That's 3 mediocre seasons despite being on a team good enough to win 12 games in 2018.   He simply hasn't progressed enough to be considered a top NFL QB after 41 starts, and no QB has gone that long and suddenly became significantly better.

None of the QBs you mentioned were mediocre QBs for three straight seasons even if they didn't put up big stats because of the teams they played on.

- Brees had a single poor season in his second year.

- Smith, Cousins, and Stafford all were considered good QBs by the beginning of their fourth seasons as starters despite playing on crappy teams.  Smith and Stafford were extended at least once by the teams that drafted them.  Cousins was franchised at least twice by the Redskins.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I respectfully submit Drew Brees.

Brees was not a mediocre starter for three years in San Diego.  He was decent as a first year starter and miserable second starting season, but came back in 2004 to make the Pro Bowl in his third season as a starter.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Trubisky played poorly as a rookie, improved over his rookie season in 2018, but took a major step backward in his third season.   That's 3 mediocre seasons despite being on a team good enough to win 12 games in 2018.   He simply hasn't progressed enough to be considered a top NFL QB after 41 starts, and no QB has gone that long and suddenly became significantly better.

None of the QBs you mentioned were mediocre QBs for three straight seasons even if they didn't put up big stats because of the teams they played on.

- Brees had a single poor season in his second year.

- Smith, Cousins, and Stafford all were considered good QBs by the beginning of their fourth seasons as starters despite playing on crappy teams.  Smith and Stafford were extended at least once by the teams that drafted them.  Cousins was franchised at least twice by the Redskins.

His second season was not mediocre.

The biggest difference between Trubisky and Cousins/Tanny is how clear it was last year that he was holding the offense back. In Tanny's third season, for example, he had one of his best seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If that's entirely true, what's the story of Warren Moon and Kurt Warner.  They were less than mediocre, didn't get drafted, had to play in the CFL and the arena league respectively.  The facts are that they did develop and became franchise QB's.  Those are just two obvious guys that came to mind.  I'm not sure what is significant about the last twenty years but here are a couple examples.

As far as merely competent QB's go, the 49er's just paid big bucks for Jimmy G. and I consider him to be barely competent.  Tannehill and Bridgewater also fall into that description IMHO.

Warren Moon played in a different era -- outside of the last twenty years -- when the prejudice against black QBs was the norm which resulted in him going to the CFL to prove himself and before FA and the salary cap created player movement and made it easier for teams to improve quickly.   It took Moon a few years in the NFL to start putting up big numbers but that was because the Houston organization was so poor when he arrived.

Once Warner got the opportunity to play in the NFL, he went on a tear, making the Pro Bowl for three straight seasons starting in his second NFL season, his first as a starter.  Warner is unique because after being relegated to back up status on the Rams and then the Giants, he went to Arizona and resurrected his career with the Cards. 

I am very skeptical of Garoppolo myself, but he hasn't put together three mediocre seasons at the beginning of his career. He's benefited from being the GOAT's understudy or injured so that he's only had a handful of starts -- 10 actually -- early on before 2019.   It's the typical small sample size dilemma.  He's actually has started fewer games than Trubisky -- 26 to 41 -- despite being in the league for 3 more years.

Both Tannehill and Bridgewater were decent early on.  Tannehill put up decent passing stats during his first three years on mediocre Fins teams.  Bridgewater was a Pro Bowler as a sophomore before his catastrophic injury.  Both were also willing to serve as backups to stay in the game and both lucked out to get opportunities to raise their personal stock.