More 5th year players contracts not picked up

As well as Chicago's QB Trubisky there were there were three other 1st round picks whose 5th year option was not picked up.

Source: Bears decline fifth-year option on QB Mitchell Trubisky

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29127132/source-bears-decline-fifth-year-option-qb-mitchell-trubisky

Sources: Lions won't pick up LB Jarrad Davis' 5th-year option

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29127114/sources-lions-pick-lb-jarrad-davis-5th-year-option

The Detroit Lions are not picking up the fifth-year option on linebacker Jarrad Davis' contract, making the team captain a free agent after the 2020 season, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.

Source: Bengals not picking up fifth-year option on WR John Ross

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29127392/source-bengals-not-picking-fifth-year-option-wr-john-ross

Ross, who was selected ninth overall in the 2017 draft, has struggled to stay on the field during his first three NFL seasons. The former Washington product has played a total of 24 games.

Jaguars aren't picking up Leonard Fournette's 5th-year option

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29125131/source-jaguars-picking-leonard-fournette-5th-year-option

The Jacksonville Jaguars have declined the fifth-year option on running back Leonard Fournette for the 2021 season.

It's an unsurprising and expected move considering the team was attempting to trade the former fourth overall pick for a month before and during the recent NFL draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Mitch obviously a bust, but Davis and Ross were huge reaches during draft time so that makes sense. I guess the Fournette thing is becuase they hate each other and probably don’t want to pay 8 million to a running back for one year. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Mitch obviously a bust, but Davis and Ross were huge reaches during draft time so that makes sense. I guess the Fournette thing is becuase they hate each other and probably don’t want to pay 8 million to a running back for one year. 

I think Ross still has some potential.  Maybe not as the top weapon but in a new situation he could be able to contribute 

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

As well as Chicago's QB Trubisky there were there were three other 1st round picks whose 5th year option was not picked up.

Source: Bears decline fifth-year option on QB Mitchell Trubisky

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29127132/source-bears-decline-fifth-year-option-qb-mitchell-trubisky

Sources: Lions won't pick up LB Jarrad Davis' 5th-year option

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29127114/sources-lions-pick-lb-jarrad-davis-5th-year-option

Source: Bengals not picking up fifth-year option on WR John Ross

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29127392/source-bengals-not-picking-fifth-year-option-wr-john-ross

Jaguars aren't picking up Leonard Fournette's 5th-year option

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29125131/source-jaguars-picking-leonard-fournette-5th-year-option

Jags being Jags... ???

They try and trade Forunette, won't take whatever they can get for him... and still decline his 5th year option...

What a bunch of Jags... ?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

Tennessee also didn’t pick up Corey Davis’s option.

And Denver didn't pick up OT Garrett Bolles either.

Actually there's quite a few. Solomon Thomas, Corey Davis, Reuben Foster, Gareon Conley all declined.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/fifth-year-option-tracker-nfl-2017-first-round-draft-picks/v40gaykwau6119wyjwqo9zoak

Edited by Seoulofstone

The only one of those that I am really surprised hasn't worked out is Corey Davis. I really, really liked him in that draft. 

Fournette I did think was a pretty safe running back pick but with running backs making a 2nd contract is never a sure thing. 

The rest of the guys in this list... J. Davis, Ross, Bolles, Thomas, Conely even Trubisky I thought were majorly overdrafted and said so at the time. Trubisky and Thomas I had late firsts on, they went #2 and #3 - the rest I didn't think were first round talents.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hjnick said:

Jags being Jags... ???

They try and trade Forunette, won't take whatever they can get for him... and still decline his 5th year option...

Funny thing about the Jags is they didn’t pay the $8mil. for Fournette, and didn’t draft anyone, and didn’t take a trade partner.  Jag offs.  Whatever they were asking, teams didn’t want to pay it, and over a dozen teams took RB’s in the draft.  They are a lot cheaper than $8 mil.

About the only one who actually has played well enough to deserve his option being picked up, is Fournette.

Trouble is, he appears to be trouble, with too much to say and do, that affects the team negatively.

Some of these guys just don't seem to learn.

As good as he can be, RBs are viewed as expendable, pretty much throughout the NFL. Making it through all of your first deal, including getting your option picked up, is far more beneficial in the long run, than messing things up.

Fournette will become a FA next year, but he won't get $8 million from anyone, unless it's over more than one year. Teams don't want perceived headaches, when they can find guys all over the place, who might give them close to the same production, at a fraction of the cost.

Yet another example of an NFL player, shooting himself in the foot financially.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think Ross still has some potential.  Maybe not as the top weapon but in a new situation he could be able to contribute 

Because he's fast?

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Because he's fast?

Yea I think the fit for Ross is actually as a gadget guy like a souped up version of the way the Bills have used McKenzie. I thought that when came out too. He should never have gone that high. I have said it a lot this draft season when at different times Shenault and Jefferson were the apple of the eye of certain board members. I just cannot ever get myself to a place where I like a guy I don't think can be a true outside receiver enough to spend a first on him. 

6 hours ago, hjnick said:

Jags being Jags... ???

They've been trying to trade him the past year.  I'd have only been surprised if they did pick up his option.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only one of those that I am really surprised hasn't worked out is Corey Davis. I really, really liked him in that draft. 

Fournette I did think was a pretty safe running back pick but with running backs making a 2nd contract is never a sure thing. 

The rest of the guys in this list... J. Davis, Ross, Bolles, Thomas, Conely even Trubisky I thought were majorly overdrafted and said so at the time. Trubisky and Thomas I had late firsts on, they went #2 and #3 - the rest I didn't think were first round talents.

If he'd been more productive and/or less of a headache, they'd have picked-up his 5th year option.  Maybe not extension but option, sure.

Just now, Doc said:

They've been trying to trade him the past year.  I'd have only been surprised if they did pick up his option.

If he'd been more productive and/or less of a headache, they'd have picked-up his 5th year option.  Maybe not extension but option, sure.

Fournette you mean? Yea. Agree.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

This says a lot about the struggles of the four teams associated with these four players.  They've all had issues with high draft choices in recent years and as we all know, that will set back a franchise for a couple of seasons.

Actually, I think it says a lot more about changes taking place in the NFL than specifically those four teams since there were numerous other teams that also didn't extend their 2017 first rounders.  Teams want to see their first rounders get up to speed quickly even if they're supposed to be "projects".  If they can't produce as well as their teams think they should in their first three seasons, they aren't getting a big fifth year pay day.

I think the Bears not extending Trubisky not only underscores how skeptical the team is of his ability to be a good NFL QB but is likely based on the recent past experience: young QBs who haven't shown themselves to be top QBs after three years of starting aren't likely to have an epiphany and become good/great QBs in their fourth or fifth years.  It just doesn't happen.  I can't think of a single mediocre three year starter who suddenly "saw the light" and became a top QB in his fourth or fifth season as a starter.  In recent years, teams that extended fifth year options to mediocre first round QB wasted both time and money: Jax with Bortles (2014), TB with Winston (2015), and Tennessee with Mariota (2015). 

A decade ago it was common for teams to not only pick up fifth year options on first round QBs but also to extend them even if their performance wasn't all that good.  Both Mark Sanchez and Ryan Tannehill benefited from that policy.  I'm sure there were others.  That's now morphed into only the outstanding young QBs getting paid big bucks early (Goff, Wentz, likely Mahomes and Watson soon) and the lesser one getting kicked to the curb.  Teams have also become quicker to cut their losses with first round QBs who are easily identifiable busts and move on.  Paxton Lynch and Josh Rosen are the quintessential examples of this.

I think this trend narrows the window Josh Allen has to become a top NFL QB.  Lots of Allen fans were willing to give Allen the full five years, but I don't think he gets that unless he absolutely improves this year so that he's among the top dozen or so QBs in the NFL..  Beane has taken away all of Allen's excuses by providing him with a good WR corps, decent protection, and now a pair of young RBs.  Beane also drafted a potential replacement/bridge QB if Allen doesn't progress well enough and leaves after 2021. 

I think teams have finally realized that if you haven't justified your 1st round status by the end of year 3, it's not likely going to happen.  And if you do somehow manage to put it all together in year 4, they can always franchise you.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Because he's fast?

Part of the reason yeah.  He’s flashed at times but has never been able to put it all together.  He was off to a great start last year and averaged almost 20 yards a catch.  I think he can definitely contribute 

26 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think teams have finally realized that if you haven't justified your 1st round status by the end of year 3, it's not likely going to happen.  And if you do somehow manage to put it all together in year 4, they can always franchise you.

See.  I'd take a different approach with allen.  As we know hes at least a winner.  I think you try and get his to take a home town discount after year 3 if he doesnt light it up. Circa 18M-20M per year...then he is also decent trade bait if a guy falls to you in the draft...but hes locked in in case he turns into the rock star you hope. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Part of the reason yeah.  He’s flashed at times but has never been able to put it all together.  He was off to a great start last year and averaged almost 20 yards a catch.  I think he can definitely contribute 

So what would you pay (presumably as a free agent) to get him? Has he shown anything at this point that’s different than what Goodwin did here? Literally the only difference between the two is that Ross got drafted in the first round. Neither guy can stay healthy, so you can’t count on them to contribute 

12 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

See.  I'd take a different approach with allen.  As we know hes at least a winner.  I think you try and get his to take a home town discount after year 3 if he doesnt light it up. Circa 18M-20M per year...then he is also decent trade bait if a guy falls to you in the draft...but hes locked in in case he turns into the rock star you hope. 

He should be putting up good numbers this year.  If he can't, then you keep him for year 4 but bring in competition and see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1