Bears decline 5th year option on Trubisky

10 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I didn't say "The Texans"   I said specifically, BILL O'BRIEN did not want him.  Here is a picture of the Texans War Room when they made the pick....does that look like BOB wanted him....does it look like anyone there besides GM Rick Smith is happy about making the pick?  

RickSmith.jpg

Bill O'Brien is a wannabe Belichick. He doesn't do smiling. It isn't his style. You are using a picture of the war room, that isn't even the announcement...  it is the bit before the Commish goes on stage and saying "forget what the enormously well respected Texans beat guy tells you, this photo proves otherwise."

Yea. You are wrong.  

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bill O'Brien is a wannabe Belichick. He doesn't do smiling. It isn't his style. You are using a picture of the war room, that isn't even the announcement...  it is the bit before the Commish goes on stage and saying "forget what the enormously well respected Texans beat guy tells you, this photo proves otherwise."

Yea. You are wrong.  

https://www.espn975.com/bench-travis-johnson-says-obrien-didnt-want-deshaun-watson/

https://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Per-Sources,-Watson-Will-Seek-Market-Value

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He’s a fringe #1 like John Brown was last year.  You disagree?

He had an 80 catch 1400 yard season with Blake Bortles.  That's his ceiling.  Robinson is only limited by the QBs he plays with.  He has top 5 ability.

John Brown will never be that.  Even Diggs has yet to be that kind of receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/4/2020 at 7:57 AM, Chicken Boo said:

This doesn't make the decision, to not take a QB, any better.  It was a mistake, I don't care how fans attempt to rationalize it.

This is said in hindsight so your assessment looks better than the decision itself...  Sir, let me know, did you state that same argument before or during 2017´s draft day ?

22 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

But you are basing this purely on your own speculation.  There’s absolutely no evidence to suggest that Whaley is better at scoring that Beane, other than the fact that Whaley has experience in scouting.  Experience alone doesn’t correlate to knowledge or success - ask Whaleys right hand man JIm Monos who was out of the league and selling cruises.  

Again, how do you explain the fact that Beane has been more successful than Whaley in the draft?  We don’t know the involvement to which GM scouting which player.  All that we know are the sections and the production on the field.  To that extent, Beane has been much more successful than Whaley.

Yikes.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

He had an 80 catch 1400 yard season with Blake Bortles.  That's his ceiling.  Robinson is only limited by the QBs he plays with.  He has top 5 ability.

John Brown will never be that.  Even Diggs has yet to be that kind of receiver.

I think you’re higher on Allen Robinson than the rest of the league is.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BuffaLoko said:

This is said in hindsight so your assessment looks better than the decision itself...  Sir, let me know, did you state that same argument before or during 2017´s draft day ?

I was 100% on drafting Watson.  Hell, the board was split on Watson or Mahomes.  NOBODY was clamoring for a DB.

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I was 100% on drafting Watson.  Hell, the board was split on Watson or Mahomes.  NOBODY was clamoring for a DB.

I’m willing to be a big boy and admit that I really liked Trubisky and Mahomes. I did not like Watson. But I thought the Bills were going to draft Marshon Lattimore. 

On 5/4/2020 at 4:43 PM, SoTier said:

I think that the GMFB crew discussed what it takes to be a backup QB just last week in reference to Andy Dalton being released.  Basically, successsful backup QBs -- Foles, Fitzpatrick, McKown etc -- are capable of checking their egos for the good of the team.   A lot of failed QBs, especially first rounders, can't do that because having mucho self confidence is a pretty much a prereq for NFL QBs so they don't make it as backups.

I think Trubisky's problem was that he  didn't improve and even regressed when team's figured out his tendencies.  I think I heard or read somewhere during last season that some of the Bears' coaching staff were concerned that he wasn't "getting it", which seems to suggest, at least to me, that he wasn't getting better at reading defenses or recognizing coverages etc. 

I think that after Brandon was fired, the Pegulas gave Beane the kind of control of the team that most GMs have -- nobody was hired to replace Brandon in regard to the Bills (don't know about the Sabres).  He wasn't subservient to both Brandon and his money guys in the front office and subservient to the HC like Whaley.   Beane's emergence as a strategist really began after the end of the 2018 season.  Before that, he seemed to be scrambling to fill immediate holes and "make do" with very limited resources just as Whaley had done.  Sharing a philosophy for the team with McDermott makes the relationship work even if McDermott is an equal. With a different HC it might not work so well.

I would disagree that Beane didn’t emerge as a strategist until the end of 2018.

He didn’t just randomly become one overnight... he’s always been one. When he got to Buffalo he began to make immediate strides towards the plan that we seeing come to fruition today.