NFL: "We Plan to Start on Time" - 17-Week Schedules to Be Released Thursday, 8pm ET on NFL Network

I mentioned elsewhere that Cowherd reported he asked Fox to ask the NFL to move the release date to Thursday. (He did NOT claim to be responsible, before you whine about your view of him.) Responses were some Cowherd hate (I don’t care what you think of him one way or the other). It made sense. Release on a Thursday, it gets all the talk all day Friday and over the weekend. 

It’s all about owning the airwaves all year long, and the NFL has mastered that! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It wouldn't surprise me if colder cities without a dome had more home games early on than away games in case they have to push the season back a month or so because of the tomhanksvirus.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Nothing prevents teams from having camps out of state and even preseason games.

If they all can’t/won’t, then the parity would be removed. Destroys the league. Also, the players have to agree. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for it so long as they can do so safely!!! The fact remains, however, that not every team has the pockets of the Pegula’s, Dallas and NE.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

If they all can’t/won’t, then the parity would be removed. Destroys the league. Also, the players have to agree. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for it so long as they can do so safely!!! The fact remains, however, that not every team has the pockets of the Pegula’s, Dallas and NE.  

I get it, I really do. I’m just guessing 99% of NFL players will sign off and be willing to play. Football is inherently UNSAFE (remember, the human body was not meant to play the game!:) ) , and they don’t seem to mind that. Young guys in peak physical condition facing the loss of work in what its usually a 3-4 year career? I bet most don’t hesitate. I’m not saying that is right, just guessing how the masses feel. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I get it, I really do. I’m just guessing 99% of NFL players will sign off and be willing to play. Football is inherently UNSAFE (remember, the human body was not meant to play the game!:) ) , and they don’t seem to mind that. Young guys in peak physical condition facing the loss of work in what its usually a 3-4 year career? I bet most don’t hesitate. I’m not saying that is right, just guessing how the masses feel. 

I agree wholeheartedly as I posted elsewhere. I just wasn’t including that here as I assumed it as a given (stupid, I know). The CBA vote says all we need to know about it, just felt the need to include it to head off the opposing argument at the pass. ? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RiotAct said:

wouldn’t that be some s*** if we got a home opener on SNF against, say, the Chiefs, and no fans are allowed in to be part of it.

As the champs the Chiefs are guaranteed to open at home on Thursday night. Last season was special with the NFL's 100 year anniversary which is why it was Bears-Packers. I would imagine they go back to letting the Super Bowl champs open at home week 1 as the first game.

12 minutes ago, Greg S said:

As the champs the Chiefs are guaranteed to open at home on Thursday night. Last season was special with the NFL's 100 year anniversary which is why it was Bears-Packers. I would imagine they go back to letting the Super Bowl champs open at home week 1 as the first game.

right I was thinking along the lines of Week 2.

I'm sure some fans will be allowed but maybe 30% capacity

NY Pause will be allowed to expire May 15 according to the governor yesterday.

Then it's up to regions, and it's totally predictable how that will go. As soon as local politicans who live in these communities are in charge the criteria will be met to open. Numbers can be massaged as needed.

Football season is 4 months away.

Edited by TheFunPolice

8 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm sure some fans will be allowed but maybe 30% capacity

NY Pause will be allowed to expire May 15 according to the governor yesterday.

Then it's up to regions, and it's totally predictable how that will go. As soon as local politicans who live in these communities are in charge the criteria will be met to open. Numbers can be massaged as needed.

Football season is 4 months away.

We'll open back up by June 1st. Hopefully there won't be a 2nd wave.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

LOL you might as well wish for $100 bills to drop from the sky too.  About the same odds.

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Nothing prevents teams from having camps out of state and even preseason games.

I believe the official word on this from the NFL is that if any state with an NFL team still has restrictions, no team will be allowed to hold training camp. Maybe that will change. But they want to make sure no team has a competitive advantage.

they will play in empty stadiums if needed... Networks want their ad money...sponsors want their commercials aired...owners and players want to get paid...with empty stadiums that's an extra 60-70K people watching on TV that would normally be at the game

On 5/5/2020 at 8:29 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There hasn't been a first wave in most areas.  I said before if you take NYC/NJ/Conn region out of the mix, the number then become more manaegeable and a bit easier to swallow.  Although, any death is tragic, certainly in this case