NFL: "We Plan to Start on Time" - 17-Week Schedules to Be Released Thursday, 8pm ET on NFL Network

Real Time with Bryant Gumbel this week had some epidemiologists on saying sports with fans is the absolute worst thing to do. As an example, they shared what happened at a soccer event in Italy. With fans yelling and screaming, particles can go meters and there’s no way to stop that. 

They also discussed how the NBA didn’t shut down initially and extrapolated out what happened and it was tens of thousands infected (near 30k if I recall correctly) and 875 dead. 

Baseball Spring Training was the same in Florida: they tracked cell phones and it increased the spread across the entire east coast and mid-west. 

Whatever happens, my hope is that the many people who assume it’s all no big deal and won’t effect them (shockingly stupid, again, in my opinion) somehow come to terms that this needs to be taken seriously and that sports push forward without the fans. 

With that being said, I recognize what the players, coaches, referees, etc are putting on the line...particularly in football...and I thank them as we all need it. 

14 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Ah I knew you couldn't miss an opportunity to sh*t on someone's positive post with your bull#### bias analysis.  You don't do Fox, maybe you should & give CNN & MSNBC a break.  The world view would look a lot brighter.  

What is brighter about over 1 million people infected and close to 70,000 people, in America alone, dead from the virus?  And those being the confirmed cases.  If we had broader testing the numbers would likely be higher.  Fauci, the man the current administration wants leading the medical response to the virus, has stated if the actions taken look like an overreaction then the measures taken have been working.  

I know a couple small business owners.  I get that people are desperate to return to "normal."  Rightfully so.  But if one, as an owner, is sick or dead or one's customers are sick or dead how much money is made then?  Personally, what I don't want is to have to go through a second shut down in the future because some people want to flaunt the science now.  The science.  Not media.  Not individual reporters.  Not politicians.  The science -- the medical experts.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/3/2020 at 6:00 AM, Mickey said:

Fauci is a doctor/scientist and has advised presidents of every party during every major public health crisis in the US since HIV. He is human, he can be wrong but he is most assuredly an honest man with no political dog in the hunt. The attacks on him are simply a case of: don't like the news, blame the messenger. He said this was going to be bad and with over a million cases and nearly 70,000 dead, I'd say its been pretty damn bad. 

Also, he is Italian so I have to believe him, capisce?

Back in January he said this was nothing to worry about, his claims have been all over the place and highly inaccurate at times. He deserves to be listened to, but in no way should he be the only advice followed. If this is truly going to be with us for possibly years, then the model to follow should have been Sweden. As the WHO is now saying. Protect the old and immunity compromised and let life go on for the rest. States have already run out of funding for unemployment, businesses are disappearing, many people who need scheduled surgeries, biopsies, procedures are being forced to wait.  How many will be lost to cancers that won’t be caught in time? How many should die from heart complications that were left unattended? Sitting around waiting for a vaccine that may never come is just ridiculous. For the healthy under 50 this will have less effect on them than the flu. They need to acquire the immunity to curtail the spread to the rest. NYC , Miami, Detroit, San Francisco needed to be locked down because the health care system for a couple of weeks couldn’t handle it. The rest of the country should have gone on as close to normal with social distancing practiced. For greater parts of the country all we have done is ruin people’s ability to provide for themselves and there families.
At 79 years old, he may no longer have the faculty’s to truly be making the best decisions for this country and it’s people. Somehow we went from flatten the curve to nobody can leave their home till there is not an infected person left on the planet. Somewhere there is a balance between fighting this virus and keeping this country economically viable, they both are very important whether some want to admit it or not...

45 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Somehow we went from flatten the curve to nobody can leave their home till there is not an infected person left on the planet. 

Regardless of the other things you mention, the curve hasn't been flattened. The US just had the deadliest day yet..

54 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Regardless of the other things you mention, the curve hasn't been flattened. The US just had the deadliest day yet..

This is what I mean about spreading misinformation.  Your wrong.  This is a paragraph from an article on some states opening:

The moves come as the daily death toll across the U.S. dropped four days in a row for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic erupted earlier this year. The 1,313 new deaths Sunday followed 1,426 deaths Saturday, 1,947 on Friday, and 2,029 on Thursday.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Idc if there are fans there or not. As long as it’s on TV, I’m good

That's my thought too, the game is the game, yes the fans add energy to it but in the end the game is played on the field and having limited or no fans in the stands doesn't change the game all that much for me. As long as it is on TV and being played the way it normally is I am good. 

So how many people here dropping that season ticket money? Lol. NFL just hoping fans still pay. 

57 minutes ago, Gordio said:

This is what I mean about spreading misinformation.  Your wrong.  This is a paragraph from an article on some states opening:

The moves come as the daily death toll across the U.S. dropped four days in a row for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic erupted earlier this year. The 1,313 new deaths Sunday followed 1,426 deaths Saturday, 1,947 on Friday, and 2,029 on Thursday.

I wonder why? Maybe because people aren't out as much?

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So how many people here dropping that season ticket money? Lol. NFL just hoping fans still pay. 

Could be, not sure, maybe it is because the virus as most virus' do is running it's course.  

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Back in January he said this was nothing to worry about, his claims have been all over the place and highly inaccurate at times. He deserves to be listened to, but in no way should he be the only advice followed. 

The caveat being "right now, but that can change."  Don't leave off the rest of what he said or the context of what he said.  He also said Americans didn't have to change behaviors, but that could change depending on the data.   That's not all over the place.  That's telling people the situation as it was in that moment.  Guess what?   Things changed so the responses did as well.  

If you question Dr. Fauci do you question Dr. Birx as well or any of the plethora of doctors/scientists saying the exact same thing about the response to the virus?  Obviously, we can't stay home until a vaccine is created, but there can be widespread testing so we know who has the virus or carries the virus.  That's something that should be planned for before totally lifting orders.   Many of the healthy, under 50 years old people you speak of live, interact and caretake for people who are older or have compromised immune systems.   And we don't know who is asymptomatic without the testing.  That's a problem because there are folks walking around feeling fine, but have the virus and can pass it to someone else.

Edited by purple haze

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I’ll see your unsourced quote from an article and raise you one unsourced quote from an article. 

Daily deaths are expected to grow to about 3,000 by June 1 from about 1,750 now, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency document, which used numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

And the administration predicted that the number of new infections per day would jump to 200,000 from 25,000 — an eightfold increase — by June 1.

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Keep being a good little sheep. The rate of infections has dropped and if you have the ability to have a little critical thought you would understand that we are testing more every week, by that nature we will see increasing infections for a while. Hospital admissions is the the critical number and those have been dropping. The curve has been flattened, in some states it was never an issue like Maine, yet that governor wants to extend the lockdown indefinitely. Why? Because this has become more political than scientific in many states. But hey you stay home till every last infection is gone, it is your choice to do so.

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Real Time with Bryant Gumbel this week had some epidemiologists on saying sports with fans is the absolute worst thing to do. As an example, they shared what happened at a soccer event in Italy. With fans yelling and screaming, particles can go meters and there’s no way to stop that. 

They also discussed how the NBA didn’t shut down initially and extrapolated out what happened and it was tens of thousands infected (near 30k if I recall correctly) and 875 dead. 

extrapolated out does not mean "it happens". 

4 hours ago, purple haze said:

The science.  Not media.  Not individual reporters.  Not politicians.  The science -- the medical experts.  

IHow about docs  and experts  on the front line, just not  in NYC..does that count as "science"..or because it does not agree with your preconcived notion it is no longer "science".

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/umpc-argues-covid-19-not-as-deadly-as-feared-says-its-hospitals-will-shift-back-to-normal.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

How about the former chief of Neuroradiology at that bastion of lies ..Stanford University

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I made my payments..and fuly plan on being there in September

Edited by plenzmd1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

extrapolated out does not mean "it happens". 

IHow about docs  and experts not on the front line not in NYC..does that count as "science"..or because it does not agree with your preconcived concieved notiopn it is no longer "science".

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/04/umpc-argues-covid-19-not-as-deadly-as-feared-says-its-hospitals-will-shift-back-to-normal.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

How about the former chief of Neuroradiology at that bastion of lies ..Stanford University

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation

I made my payments..and fuly plan on being there in September

You won't be there man. It's not really a matter of being negative or positive.

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Whatever happens, my hope is that the many people who assume it’s all no big deal and won’t effect them (shockingly stupid, again, in my opinion) somehow come to terms that this needs to be taken seriously and that sports push forward without the fans. 

With that being said, I recognize what the players, coaches, referees, etc are putting on the line...particularly in football...and I thank them as we all need it. 

PLayers lives dont count? PLayers relatives lives dont count? Equipment managers lives dont count?  Put people at risk just sos you can have your football?

It is either safe to play or it is not. No plyer should have to make a choice between seeing his loved ones for 6 months or playing. Make a decision one way or the otheer

• Like (+1) 1