E:60 Project 11 about Alex Smith - Must See TV

With almost no new content on sports these days, I took a shot at watching the ESPN "E:60 Project 11" special last night on Alex Smith's recovery from his leg injury (multiple compound fractures). It didn't hurt that his wife was shown in the previews. ?

Warning: the show is incredibly graphic. Smith allowed cameras (still and video) to record his progress from the first days of the injury through the last two years. What he went through is amazing and I can't believe he still has a leg.

He likely won't play another down in the NFL but his story is really incredible and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Find and record this if you can.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

With almost no new content on sports these days, I took a shot at watching the ESPN "E:60 Project 11" special last night on Alex Smith's recovery from his leg injury (multiple compound fractures). It didn't hurt that his wife was shown in the previews. ?

Warning: the show is incredibly graphic. Smith allowed cameras (still and video) to record his progress from the first days of the injury through the last two years. What he went through is amazing and I can't believe he still has a leg.

He likely won't play another down in the NFL but his story is really incredible and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Find and record this if you can.

...incredible what he went through......sure as hell hope the kid sees another Bridgewater like epiphany........good luck Alex.......:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

I watched a short piece of it, it was the part where they were showing his leg when it had the black boils on it he was in pretty bad shape & is very lucky to still have his leg by the looks of that piece of the video .

I wonder if he will ever come back & if so will he ever be the same that must be a pretty traumatic thing to have went through just his leg being broken not including the infection & all . 

It must be a Redskins curse thing ?

2 hours ago, T master said:

I watched a short piece of it, it was the part where they were showing his leg when it had the black boils on it he was in pretty bad shape & is very lucky to still have his leg by the looks of that piece of the video .

I wonder if he will ever come back & if so will he ever be the same that must be a pretty traumatic thing to have went through just his leg being broken not including the infection & all . 

It must be a Redskins curse thing ?

That photo you saw does it no justice. They eventually had to take all the tissue off the top of his leg from his mid thigh down to his ankle due to a flesh eating bacteria. Exposing bone and the nine yards. It was.... horrendous. 

they tried putting his leg back together with tissue from his calf on injured leg and quad from other leg. I still have to wonder years down the line if he’ll just amputate with how well tech is progressing in that area. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

Bison, I typically thank people for sharing, but will have to wait until I can keep down water.  OMG, poor guy.  Forget football, I just hope for he and his family he will be ok, have a functioning life, and a long future with his wife and children.

Im in medicine and that was disturbing to me.  I’ve seen blood spurting from the body, destroyed stomachs, and so on.  That was bad.  God bless that medical staff.

• Like (+1) 1

I am sooooo freaking glad that man is walking again. Praise the LORD for that. Chopping it off should have never been an option unless his life was at risk, which it didn’t seem to be. He looked good doing squats and throwing the ball around, at least now he can play catch with his sons and have a decent life. Seems like an amazing person, I’ve always liked Alex Smith and I like him even more now. Great player, great person, great human being. Nothing more to say other than Alex Smith is all class.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I am sooooo freaking glad that man is walking again. Praise the LORD for that. Chopping it off should have never been an option unless his life was at risk, which it didn’t seem to be. He looked good doing squats and throwing the ball around, at least now he can play catch with his sons and have a decent life. Seems like an amazing person, I’ve always liked Alex Smith and I like him even more now. Great player, great person, great human being. Nothing more to say other than Alex Smith is all class.

His life was most definitely at risk once the infection took. The dr’s said as much in the episode. He had a flesh eating bacteria spreading at a rapid rate and they were cutting chunks of his leg off daily. Yes amputation should have been on the table at that point. 

and Context is needed to say that chopping it off should or shouldn’t be considered. They had actual vets on the show who battled with their maimed limbs for long periods of time before realizing just taking it off was a better option for quality of life. In fact if it starts giving him too many issues down the line I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if he goes the prosthetic route. 

i have to ask. Did you actually watch the show in it’s entirety? 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

His life was most definitely at risk once the infection took. The dr’s said as much in the episode. He had a flesh eating bacteria spreading at a rapid rate and they were cutting chunks of his leg off daily. Yes amputation should have been on the table at that point. 

and Context is needed to say that chopping it off should or shouldn’t be considered. They had actual vets on the show who battled with their maimed limbs for long periods of time before realizing just taking it off was a better option for quality of life. In fact if it starts giving him too many issues down the line I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if he goes the prosthetic route. 

I have a question, maybe I missed it. His leg looks very deformed right now, is there more surgery coming to make the leg look less deformed?

38 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I did watch it through, but I am simply your average potbellied fan with no medical background.

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I have a question, maybe I missed it. His leg looks very deformed right now, is there more surgery coming to make the leg look less deformed?

They didn’t cover any of that I don’t think. It’s very evident that the pressure sleeve he wears is hiding quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

They didn’t cover any of that I don’t think. It’s very evident that the pressure sleeve he wears is hiding quite a bit.

You can see how deformed it is under that sleeve. I'm wondering if they are just letting all the tissue grow together and then start doing plastic surgery to make the leg as normal as possible.

Honestly this episode was so good. I didn't really pay attention to what Smith went through. I knew he had an infection but holy cow. When he started crying I lost it. He has a lot of money from playing football but the emotional roller coaster of a career he's had is something I don't think any player has been through. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

RE: Amputate or not

My niece had her ankle crushed in a car accident a number of years ago (warning: never ride with your feet on the dashboard). She had multiple surgeries to try to fix it. Nothing worked and she was in constant pain. She finally decided to have her lower leg amputated. It was an incredibly tough decision but she didn’t regret it. However, living with a prosthetic is no picnic either.

Smith made a tough call and things could still go sideways. I loved how in the middle of some of the worst of his experience he asked his wife, “Do you know how lucky we are?”. That helps put things in perspective for anyone watching this story.

I hope it works out and he can live the normal life...of a multi-millionaire! ?

On 5/2/2020 at 7:43 PM, jeremy2020 said:

I really wanted the Bills to sign him when he shook loose from KC. I think he was an underrated QB. 

Bills fans don't learn from the Fitz time....

In the end Alex Smith is the same type of QB, he can win you games but can't do ***** when it really matters 

Edited by Hardhatharry

22 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Plastic (flap) surgery is what got this to heal/cover bone.  There is no cosmetic procedure he would have at this point.