Is Stidham any good?

59 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

was he HC in Cleveland?  Then yes you have to include it 

He clearly didn't have the same successful system in Cleveland that he has had in NE. Since he has been in NE Billy B has a winning record without Brady. I think it lacks context to include the Browns years. Since Brady has been on the Pats when he didn't play the Pats have been above .500. 

Why do we go back 25 years? Don’t you think coaches learn from what they did wrong? When BB took over the  Pats he inherited a bloated underachieving team with the highest paid QB. Who could not stop making dumb mistakes and constantly changing the plays sent in. He had to rebuild the roster and when Bledsoe went down he slipped Brady in. When Bledsoe came back, he did not get the job back. The next year Bledsoe was traded to the Bills, who experienced the same problems. So what happen, in the previous years, is not relevant today. Each year it starts over, nobody knows what will happens until the games are played. Injuries can really wreck a team’s season.

Edited by dogbyte
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/2/2020 at 7:10 AM, billsfan1959 said:

First, Belichick is a d**k and not above cheating to win; however, he would never tank for any reason. Second, I don't think Stidham is the the long-term answer for the Patriots, but, I do think Belichick believes he can win with any QB and is looking to prove he was primarily responsible for the Patriots**** success, not Brady.

When you radio the plays to the Qb in their helmet, by spying, any one can be successful 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m going with the under on this, ??

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

He clearly didn't have the same successful system in Cleveland that he has had in NE. Since he has been in NE Billy B has a winning record without Brady. I think it lacks context to include the Browns years. Since Brady has been on the Pats when he didn't play the Pats have been above .500. 

true.

BUT 

I argue that because of PATRIOTISM after 911 the Pats got the benefit of “blind eyes” by the refs and some beneficial calls aka just give it to them. 

what happened to the Tuck rule?

what happened to the spy gate tapes?

No team should be able to go 10 years leading the league in fewest penalties.  The odds are astronomical that it happened. 

Late coming to this party but living in Pats territory I've seen enough of Stidham to throw in my two cents.  I'd have to say he's Matt Cassel with Nathan Peterman tendencies. His arm may turn out better than Cassel and in the right system and a decent off season maybe they'll coach the Peterman tendencies out of him but the kid loves to throw on schedule covered or not and it didn't seem that hard to trick him.  No Brady there to coach him up I wouldn't be surprised to see him throw too many picks for Belichick's liking and that's when we'll see Hoyer.

• Like (+1) 1

Having watched Stidham's preseason tape from last season, he could wind up surprising me, but his arm strength and lack of mobility don't scare me at all. He might as well be throwing the ball underhanded compared to the way the ball rockets out of Josh's hand. I think his upcoming performance against our defense this season could look a lot like Duck Hodges' fall-back-to-earth game from 2019. 

Stidham's ceiling is probably Andy Dalton which isn't bad, but his floor is much worse, possibly Nate Peterman-esque. 

On 5/12/2020 at 2:45 PM, billsfan89 said:

If you include the Browns years yes. But he did go 10-5 with Matt Cassell in 2008 and 4-0 without Brady when he was suspended for deflate gate. 

Why wouldn't we?  Does that mean we shouldn't include Gase's time in Miami?

4 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Having watched Stidham's preseason tape from last season, he could wind up surprising me, but his arm strength and lack of mobility don't scare me at all. He might as well be throwing the ball underhanded compared to the way the ball rockets out of Josh's hand. I think his upcoming performance against our defense this season could look a lot like Duck Hodges' fall-back-to-earth game from 2019. 

Stidham's ceiling is probably Andy Dalton which isn't bad, but his floor is much worse, possibly Nate Peterman-esque. 

I think he may develop into an effective game manager and should be quite a bit better than NP. Hardly looks to me like a franchise guy or maybe not even a long term starter (like Dalton) but I think he might have a lengthy NFL career nevertheless. Opinions (not surprisingly) are pretty much all over the place. I think Jeremiah said that had he been in this year's draft he could have been a late first, early second, for what that's worth. He's no Josh Allen but his arm looks adequate to me, especially when he steps into his throws, though I need to see more on the boundaries outside the hash marks. I don't think he can make a living at this level exclusively in the centre of the field. I don't quite understand why people accuse him of being a statue. He's basically a pocket passer project and again no Josh Allen running the football but what little I've seen of his Auburn tape does suggest the ability to take what defences give him and even what may be there on occasion when plays break down (and more so than Brady). There is a likelihood that he implodes unless his O line and RBs can protect and that's why I think Thuney stays. Maybe they ink a new deal next year when the Pats have lots of cap space but clearly they passed on converting him into high draft pick for a reason.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1