Is Stidham any good?

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Thuney is no better than Mankins was.  And I'm thinking that they're going to have to remove the franchise tag from Thuney because they don't want to pay him $15M/year. 

But IMHO, coaching is huge for that group.  I guess we shall see.

Mankins kinda proves my point though. He was legitimately good. And he made a pro bowl in Tampa. I think the two guards particularly are in that class rather than the Nate Solder class. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Mankins kinda proves my point though. He was legitimately good. And he made a pro bowl in Tampa. I think the two guards particularly are in that class rather than the Nate Solder class. 

He was a Pro Bowl alternate replacement and in his 2nd season in Tampa.  But again, we'll see this season.  I think DS was the greatest OL coach in history with the way he could take anyone and make them good.  And again, I don't see them paying Thuney that money either in average salary or even the franchise tender, figuring they can just plug anyone in there.  Once Mankins started squawking about money, they shipped him out.

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I just hope McD can break the 0 for 6 against the Patriots this year....

What's with the Dolphins always being able to split with them? They have to have one of the better records against them in the recent decade. They usually suck and yet somehow they steal a win from the Patriots sometimes.

This is from a couple years ago but it shows how pitiful the rest of the NFL has been facing the Pats. Not a single team in NFL had a winning record against them and the AFC is pretty terrible besides the Broncos: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/8dpo34/the_new_england_patriots_headtohead_record/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

What's with the Dolphins always being able to split with them? They have to have one of the better records against them in the recent decade. They usually suck and yet somehow they steal a win from the Patriots sometimes.

This is from a couple years ago but it shows how pitiful the rest of the NFL has been facing the Pats. Not a single team in NFL had a winning record against them and the AFC is pretty terrible besides the Broncos: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/8dpo34/the_new_england_patriots_headtohead_record/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

They had the GOAT at Quarterback and the GOAT Head Coach. It isn't that surprising. 

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

He was a Pro Bowl alternate replacement and in his 2nd season in Tampa.  But again, we'll see this season.  I think DS was the greatest OL coach in history with the way he could take anyone and make them good.  And again, I don't see them paying Thuney that money either in average salary or even the franchise tender, figuring they can just plug anyone in there.  Once Mankins started squawking about money, they shipped him out.

My point is it isn't one or the other. I agree he was the best OL coach certainly of my time watching the NFL and there are years when he has taken bad talent and produced productive offensive lines.  And I have generally been an "avoid Patriot linemen in FA" guy. I was with Solder, I was with Brown I have been with many before them. But just because they have had the best oline coach doesn't mean they have never had legitimately talented players on the line. Mankins was, and their two current starting guard are both in the top half dozen guards in the league in my opinion. The tackles and center.... remains a bit to be seen. But Thuney and Mason don't need elite coaching. They are elite players. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They had the GOAT at Quarterback and the GOAT Head Coach. It isn't that surprising. 

Agreed, but the Dolphins still found ways to split with them sometimes.

50 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

“Nothing but love island guy”. ....well now you changed your tone (ref shovel and that I condone cheating - never said that) and I can reciprocate with “nothing but love” as you said.

- Tell you about times Bills cheated:  Im sure you heard of Fred Smerlas and Conrad Dobler, just to name a few.  But I don’t consider what they did cheating, in my opinion (just like the patriots - I’m consistent here) they just competed hard. 

To be clearer about caring, I’m not sure why you care so much about my beliefs / opinions about what you call cheating and I believe is competing hard.  Trust me, if this was about something meaningful in nature like a kid being short changed in their education, I’d be first in line for caring.  This is football, I think there is room for differing opinions about competitive play (as I call it) and cheating (as you call it).

Fair enough ? Peace ?

I know the names but wasn’t closely following the team then. 

I know it’s football but purposefully trying to injure an opponent is to much, as is repeatedly getting caught filming your opponents or not shutting of the helmet coms before the snap etc etc. Ya gotta have rules that get honored or what makes the game a great competition is gone. This goes for all aspects of having a great society. You gotta keep the cheap crap in check. And make examples out of those who get out of hand. Belichick using virtually forgotten rules to get an edge is okay, but the other things he has the organization do are not.

17 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I see no way Stidham puts up Brady’s numbers from last year. 61% comp. percentage, shade over 4,000 yards passing, and 24 TDs against 8 INTs? I’m a big Josh Allen fan, but we’d be doing cartwheels if that was his passing stat line in year 3. It ain’t that easy, no matter what Belichick thinks he can do. Not like their weapons are vastly different from last year. Happy to eat crow if I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it. 

I think this is fair.  The numbers seem better than my recollection based of the Patriots games I watched.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think this is fair.  The numbers seem better than my recollection based of the Patriots games I watched.

You’re not alone in this and I agree that it definitely seemed worse than it was. The media says it a lot too, so I was also thinking he had a worse year than that. I guess when it’s constant Super Bowls, anything else pales in comparison. 

I know this is a thread about Stidham, but I don’t think Brady is done physically. Of course he’s not the same as he was, but that offense was bereft of talent last year. I think with all those weapons he now has in Tampa, and as long as Brady, Leftwich, and Arians can come up with game plans that maximize Brady’s abilities with what he can still do well, we’ll see a nice uptick in his stats from last year. 

5 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

..... “most” good scientists, that’s what we all hope for .... in every field of work in life.  My point was simply about bias and a desire for a certain result (in this case Bills, Patriots, NFL and investigations)....reminder, the other poster initially brought science into this - not me.

Your point was about bias by denigrating the integrity of scientists?  News flash,  those are two separate things.  

8 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Your point was about bias by denigrating the integrity of scientists?  News flash,  those are two separate things.  

The other poster bought “global warming” into this (and now you're coming after me, nice, LOL) and therefore science (science and global warming are linked - right) when we were discussing investigations and the Patriots .... but nevertheless, you JUST proved my very point about bias, how dare I question a scientist... well news flash to you, scientists have bias too, just like everyone else - thought you would know that  with all the experience you claim to have - and an amateur like me has to school you now - sad.  Unreal, I denigrated a scientist by stating they can be biased - LOL .... you’re tired,  go to bed.

18 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He is a Chiefs fan but visits this board once in a while. 

Thanks Chicago !! BTW, many good, smart football fans where you are.

Edited by BillsNutHawaii

21 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

And the schools in your area also seem to be cheating too.  Don’t ask me where I get my proof ... it may hurt someone’s feelings.

On another note, Kim Jung Un has also said the American student he held captive a few years ago was a spy and he also had proof (about as much as the NFL had) with due process in his court.  Does that make KJU right ?

Global warming (u bought it up - not me ).... beware, scientists have about as much bias as football fans ... maybe more ..... I studied science and scientists have about as much integrity as your local city prosecutor (it’s all about what they want to find) btw - Donald trump told me there is no such thing global warming ... just kidding (maybe).... ok I added that last part to incite you (sorry).

Oh...boy.

13 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

The other poster bought “global warming” into this (and now you're coming after me, nice, LOL) and therefore science (science and global warming are linked - right) when we were discussing investigations and the Patriots .... but nevertheless, you JUST proved my very point about bias, how dare I question a scientist... well news flash to you, scientists have bias too, just like everyone else - thought you would know that  with all the experience you claim to have - and an amateur like me has to school you now - sad.  Unreal, I denigrated a scientist by stating they can be biased - LOL .... you’re tired,  go to bed.

You can question whoever the hell you want, I don't care about that.  Everyone has bias, especially you.  I take exception to the fact you think scientists lack integrity.  That is very different from bias.  Science and research are far more than global warming, but you got it all figured out and blanket-generalized, regardless.  Congratulations!

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

You can question whoever the hell you want, I don't care about that.  Everyone has bias, especially you.  I take exception to the fact you think scientists lack integrity.  That is very different from bias.  Science and research are far more than global warming, but you got it all figured out and blanket-generalized, regardless.  Congratulations!

Show me:

- where I stated “scientists lack integrity”.......you can’t bc it’s not there

- I never denied being biased (show me where I said I wasn’t biased), we are all biased, that was my original point.

- I never said science is limited to global warming, I only said they’re linked. Show me where I stated otherwise ... u can’t bc it’s not there.

..with each vile, fabricated, over the top response of yours, you just further my point about bias, and you have an extreme case of it.   .... you’re funny or sick or maybe both.  Anyway, I don’t care about u, you’re thoughts, or whatever. Total loser...can’t even get one fact straight .... hmmm, on second thought, maybe just my one earlier remark (joke) about president Trump set you off - that’s gotta be it.... you have the TDS - am I right ?

On 5/3/2020 at 2:44 AM, BillsNutHawaii said:

And the schools in your area also seem to be cheating too.  Don’t ask me where I get my proof ... it may hurt someone’s feelings.

On another note, Kim Jung Un has also said the American student he held captive a few years ago was a spy and he also had proof (about as much as the NFL had) with due process in his court.  Does that make KJU right ?

Global warming (u bought it up - not me ).... beware, scientists have about as much bias as football fans ... maybe more ..... I studied science and scientists have about as much integrity as your local city prosecutor (it’s all about what they want to find) btw - Donald trump told me there is no such thing global warming ... just kidding (maybe).... ok I added that last part to incite you (sorry).

You jumped the shark when you turned to global warming denial. It undermines all your other arguments. 

Next step: Holocaust denial. 

• Thank you (+1) 1