Is Stidham any good?

I think New England brings someone in still. I mean Dalton makes way too much sense for both parties. They can bring Dalton in on the cheap and still elect to start Stidham if they want. 

New England's defense will still be good. But the odds of them being historically great again are extremely low. Both the Steelers and Patriots led the league by a wide margin in takeaways. Those stats are hardly ever carry over to the next year. Bills I think were much closer to the mean in takeaways so there is a greater chance we could see more takeaways next year and at the least, very slim chance we see a dramatic fall in takeaways. 

It'll be Stidham's team.  He beat out Hoyer for the backup role last year so they obviously see potential there.  McDaniels has had a year to groom him learning behind Brady.  He was a projected potential first round pick going into his junior season but regressed that year.  The Pats will rely heavily on their defense and running game like they did in Brady's first couple of seasons. 

7 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

I like Stidham a lot ... smart, confident, mature and seemed to grasp the game really well as a rookie.  And on top of that, he could spend a whole year observing T Brady.  I wish JA’s rookie year could have been like Stidhams first season.  I definitely understand pats fans excitement here and believe Stidham is the guy for the Patriots for the upcoming season - and it seems the Pats organization believes the same thing. Will be fun to watch.  Their defense will keep them in every game and allow their young QB to recover from the inevitable mistakes he will make.  Dolphins and Jets had great drafts this year too.  Not enough to change the order of the division this coming season, but in 2021 / 2022 I think we will see them turn the tide.  If Bills GM keeps drafting well and manages the teams salary cap like he has been, I don’t see the Jets or Phins overtaking the Bills anytime soon.

In what way did he grasp the game well as a rookie? He has 14 passing yards and an INT with a rating of 18.8. He has a total of 4 attempts.

So what did you see in him in those 4 attempts, and if we are judging him by that extremely small sample size, would you not say that he looked bad, since 25% of his throws were interceptions and he only completed 50%?

5 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Really, it doesn’t matter how good he is. We have had to deal with the best QB in nfl history being in our division for the past 20 years. Only the Bills, Jets and Dolphins know what that hell is like. For the first time in 2 decades, the division isn’t over before the season starts. We are all on equal ground heading into the season and I’ll take that. This kid can be good, or even really good and it doesn’t matter. He’s not Brady. No matter who they have for the rest of time, they won’t be Brady. It’s finally over and I’m good with our chances against anyone else.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. If he's good, who cares? He's still beatable. He isn't the best QB of all time or anywhere near it. No matter how you slice it, the Pats got worse with Brady leaving.

• Like (+1) 1

I can definitely remember the announcers talking about how great his arm was at auburn and that he was a first round level talent.  I could see the arm talent for sure, but outside of that i was never impressed with his accuracy and ability to make quick progressions and reads.  Who knows thiugh, we’ll find out soon enough.

A Stidham story (which, admittedly, does not have much to do with the original question).

In 2014, Stidham was a senior in Stephenville HS (then ranked #1 among 4A schools in Texas). At that time, he had committed to Texas Tech (located in Lubbock, TX). Stephenville was hosting a high school from the Lubbock suburbs, Lubbock-Cooper. The previous year, Stephenville had beaten Lubbock-Cooper 42-28 in the state quarterfinals. ESPN thought this could make a nice story and decided to air the game nationwide on ESPN2.

Stidham was pretty good, going 28/35 for 340 yds and 4 TDs. However, the Cooper QB, Kolton Ehlers, was even better. He accounted for 7 TDs (passing and running), and Cooper beat Stephenville 50-39. Why do I remember this? Both my kids went to Lubbock-Cooper HS. My son was a freshman in 2014 and was at the game, because he was in the Cooper "Pirates" band.

Kolton Ehlers went to college at Texas Tech, but - to my knowledge - he did not play football. He graduated in 2019 and works at City Bank. 

Edited by DrW

2 hours ago, MJS said:

In what way did he grasp the game well as a rookie? He has 14 passing yards and an INT with a rating of 18.8. He has a total of 4 attempts.

So what did you see in him in those 4 attempts, and if we are judging him by that extremely small sample size, would you not say that he looked bad, since 25% of his throws were interceptions and he only completed 50%?

Yeah, this is where I'm at. If he's good, who cares? He's still beatable. He isn't the best QB of all time or anywhere near it. No matter how you slice it, the Pats got worse with Brady leaving.

The mental aspect - he was barely on field.  It’s a people skill...Stidham is smart and talented ... I had hoped the Bills would get him and behold the Patriots saw what I did and they got him .... Hope I’m wrong, but based on the patriots recent actions (Fred Agency and Draft) seems they’re all in on Stidham and I’m sure they have good reasons.  

14 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

The mental aspect - he was barely on field.  It’s a people skill...Stidham is smart and talented ... I had hoped the Bills would get him and behold the Patriots saw what I did and they got him .... Hope I’m wrong, but based on the patriots recent actions (Fred Agency and Draft) seems they’re all in on Stidham and I’m sure they have good reasons.  

They thought so much of him pre-draft that they waited until the end of the 4th round to take him.  That's later than they waited to take guys like Ryan Mallett, Jacoby Brissett and Rohan Davey. 

And when he got a chance to play, he was so bad they had to put Tommy Boy back in after he threw a pick-six, and then saw action in just one other game, throwing 1 pass and not completing it.  That was week 5 and he didn't see the field again despite several blowouts later on.

Not sure what they saw as practice against your own team doesn't mean much.  And they really had no other options other than drafting one, but the top-3 were long gone and no one else was really worth taking in the first couple rounds.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

They thought so much of him pre-draft that they waited until the end of the 4th round to take him.  That's later than they waited to take guys like Ryan Mallett, Jacoby Brissett and Rohan Davey. 

And when he got a chance to play, he was so bad they had to put Tommy Boy back in after he threw a pick-six, and then saw action in just one other game, throwing 1 pass and not completing it.  That was week 5 and he didn't see the field again despite several blowouts later on.

Not sure what they saw as practice against your own team doesn't mean much.  And they really had no other options other than drafting one, but the top-3 were long gone and no one else was really worth taking in the first couple rounds.

Seems you know more about Stidham and his capabilities / future potential than Bill Belicheck and the Patriots do.  Oh well....

1 hour ago, thunderingsquid said:

3zt33j.jpg

Link ?

Just now, BillsNutHawaii said:

Seems you know more about Stidham and his capabilities / future potential than Bill Belicheck and the Patriots do.  Oh well....

Like I said, Belicheat hasn't been a good QB drafter and they had no real options.  It looks like he's going to go with defense again and hope Stidham can game manage them to wins.

Just now, Doc said:

Like I said, Belicheat hasn't been a good QB drafter and they had no real options.  It looks like he's going to go with defense again and hope Stidham can game manage them to wins.

“Tommy Boy” and “Belicheat”. ...... as you referred to them ..... I got it ... I know what’s driving you now .... PDS (Patriots Derangement Syndrome).