Is Stidham any good?

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

Brady was pretty awful last year.  How much worse could Stidham be?  At least he can move and won’t throw the ball into the ground at the first hint of a pass rush.  I’m pretty sure Belichick did not want another season of that.

Most film analysis I've seen done has shown that Brady was not awful at all last year, though obviously not the same as prime Brady. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody knows how good Stidham is. All I can picture when I see him throw is how many times he's going to get strip sacked if he keeps throwing from his hip like that though 

• Like (+1) 1

Brady's skills are good pre-snap reads, timing, and accuracy which allowed him to continue to succeed with depleting physical skills. The Pats also covered for this by improving their running game and offensive line. By some reporting, Stidham took a large percentage of the practice snaps last year to help him learn and to preserve Brady's arm. That likely makes him better than what one would expect for a 2nd season player making his first starts. Word is that he is accurate and throws with timing. His ability to read defenses at this level is where the rubber will hit the road with NE this year. 

They do have a great defense and a good running game (Bills 2016?). Minimizing mistakes by Stidham will be paramount and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats run or just throw screens on 3rd and long (5+ yards to go), followed by a punt so they can rely on their defense.

The Bills will perform much better this year against the Pats defense for a couple of reasons. First, Josh will be better at reading defenses. Second, the offensive line will improve as it returns intact. Third, the Bills have a better backfield this year as Gore was on his last legs in 2019. Last, the Bills WR corp should be markedly improved with Diggs and better concentration by Knox (reduce the drops!). We may even have a better kicker in 2020 who can boom them from beyond the 50!

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

Most film analysis I've seen done has shown that Brady was not awful at all last year, though obviously not the same as prime Brady. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody knows how good Stidham is. All I can picture when I see him throw is how many times he's going to get strip sacked if he keeps throwing from his hip like that though 

Stidham will not be as good as Brady was last year in certain areas, but he’ll also be able to do a lot of things Brady wouldn’t or couldn’t do.  Brady was very limited.

I liked him at Auburn. He was great in 2017 and if he came out he might have been maybe a second round pick. He was bad his senior year. Highly recruited, big time signing for Batlylor. Honestly, he’s very athletic, has a good arm. Smallish hands...he really reminds me of Jimmy Garapollo. I think that is the the of player he is going to be. The difference is that you can shatter Stidham’s confidence if you hit him and pick him. Garopollo has that swagger and confidence that you wont see with Stidham, but I do think it’s a fair comp. I think he is going to be okay, not great. I said in another thread similar to this one that I think he has a Matt Moore type of career. Maybe a little better.

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Brady was pretty awful last year.  How much worse could Stidham be?  At least he can move and won’t throw the ball into the ground at the first hint of a pass rush.  I’m pretty sure Belichick did not want another season of that.

Brady wasn’t awful. He had a poor year compared to his usual GOAT standards but he also didn’t have much to work with on offense. 

18 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Brady wasn’t awful. He had a poor year compared to his usual GOAT standards but he also didn’t have much to work with on offense. 

Just looked at Brady’s 2019 stats, and you’re right.  Not a terrible year, but well below his standard.  I was basing my take on the games I saw him play, where he looked very limited in what he could do.  As we know, Belichick doesn’t wait for guys to bottom out...

Edited by mannc

20 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Ya but a franchise QB is supposed be able to make any receiver look good, according to many here on this forum... so running with that logic, Brady isn’t very good any more... and I like that...??

Although Brady has noticeably declined in the last 2 seasons it didnt help that he had no help whatsoever around him......and Belicheat thinks Stidham is going to be an upgrade over Brady?  LMFAO......The AFCE is primed for the Bills to take it!

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I liked their first three picks (Dugger, Uche and Jennings). Think they are all good good players and good fits in that scheme and their defense did need an injection of youth. I didn't love the double dip at tight end on two players who were somewhat lower on my board than guys who went later (or in Hunter Bryant's case, didn't go at all) and like the Packers I was surprised that they didn't take advantage of the deep receiver class at some point - whether that be in round 2 or round 3.

Agree they are not tanking. I also agree that even if they were planning to they are not bad enough to be seriously in the conversation for a top 3 pick. Them drafting in the top 10? Yea, I can see that. But if you want a Lawrence or a Fields that isn't going to get it done because nobody is trading away the chance to take Trevor Lawrence unless something really weird happens to him this season and I'd be surprised at this point if anyone was willing to trade away a shot at Fields unless it is Cincy (who have taken Burrow this year but still have a woeful defense in a good division) or a team who bizarrely lose their QB to injury for the year (Houston or Seattle or someone like that who have lots of holes and need the picks and have their Quarterback).

As for the Dolphins..... my feelings on their draft are mixed. I am a big fan of the coach - GM combo they have there I think they finally have good people in situ. I loved them taking Tua. Right pick. If he stays healthy he will succeed. The next three picks - Jackson, Igbinoghene and Hunt all high ceiling guys but all went way earlier than I'd have taken them and have some bust potential. After that they got back on track... Davis, Jones, Kindley, Weaver.... all good pick ups. I think Miami will be better than last year but that might not show on their win total by more than a game or two because the schedule is a lot tougher for all of the AFCE. I also think they might start slow because some of those early picks they will be looking at to start are pretty raw.

Totally agree with everything.

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Belichick Records against:

Sean McDermott is 6-0

Adam Gase is 6-2

Ryan Fitzpatrick is 11-3

Rookie QBs at Home is 11-0

Can he get 20-23 points out of Stidham and trust that his defensive prowess can shut down what has seemingly always shut down his AFC East Opponents?

That May be what he is banking on.

Nobody talking about the defensive losses they had. D will be good but probably not dominant  like last year...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Nobody talking about the defensive losses they had. D will be good but probably not dominant  like last year...

Very true.  Defensive has taken a few loses.

Maybe they have factored that in along with plying in a very weak division when it comes to offense, that a good defense might be enough as long as Stidham can get you to 20-23 points.

I mean you go against the bills and the jets the dolphins your mindset Hass to be I can get to 20 to 23 points I have a better than 50-50 shot of winning that ball game.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1

First don’t let Bill in your head to scare you! He isn’t terrible but I don’t believe he is even close to Josh and has zero weapons around him. He has completed three passes in his career and one was to the other team! He will have his moments but not enough to induce any fear whatsoever, I believe!! 

Patriots fans have already talked themselves into the idea that this is their Montana/Young situation.

He has very good skills - but he also stares down receivers and isn't good under pressure.  He has HUGE shoes to fill - if he can handle that, he could be scary.

It probably helps that there won't be crowds this year.  That fanbase will have limited tolerance for mistakes & bad games.  Still, I don't think we need to worry too much.  As of today, they have the worst QB situation in the division.

• Like (+1) 1

I really enjoyed watching this. Stidham is a dink and dunker. His ball 20 yards downfield has Peterman pick potential. Average mobility. Collapses under pressure, fumble prone. If the Pats defense can hold teams to under 10 points each week they are going to win a lot of games next year. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Thank you (+1) 1