Is Stidham any good?

I think Buffalo had a great draft as did New England, Miami and the Jets. The fact that New England didn’t draft a QB tells me that they’re all in on Stidham. Who is this guy? How good can he be? Is he really a franchise QB or are the Patriots tanking for a QB? Even with subpar QB play I think New England is a 7 or 8 win team so if they bottom out they’ll still likely miss out on Trevor Lawrence. I’ve visited New England message boards and their fan base is really all in on Stidham which is shocking to me. Their defense is disgusting and they had a great draft on top of that. Dugger and Uche are dogs and will both likely be Pro Bowl defenseman. So what’s the story with New England? No Jameis Winston, no Dalton, no Bridgewater, no Cam Newton. Who is this Stidham guy and is he for real? 

5 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Well, to answer your question, I think they are using this year to see if Fromm can be the guy...if not, they will get a QB next year...

I think you mean Stidham. They’re saying that New England is higher on him than they were on Garoppolo. It should be interesting to see how this shakes out. I think even with poor QB play, New England gets 8 wins off their defense alone so bottoming out doesn’t seem likely. Their defense is way too good for that.

• Like (+1) 1

I like Stidham a lot ... smart, confident, mature and seemed to grasp the game really well as a rookie.  And on top of that, he could spend a whole year observing T Brady.  I wish JA’s rookie year could have been like Stidhams first season.  I definitely understand pats fans excitement here and believe Stidham is the guy for the Patriots for the upcoming season - and it seems the Pats organization believes the same thing. Will be fun to watch.  Their defense will keep them in every game and allow their young QB to recover from the inevitable mistakes he will make.  Dolphins and Jets had great drafts this year too.  Not enough to change the order of the division this coming season, but in 2021 / 2022 I think we will see them turn the tide.  If Bills GM keeps drafting well and manages the teams salary cap like he has been, I don’t see the Jets or Phins overtaking the Bills anytime soon.

24 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

The fact that New England didn’t draft a QB tells me that they’re all in on Stidham. Who is this guy? How good can he be? Is he really a franchise QB or are the Patriots tanking for a QB?

First, Belichick is a d**k and not above cheating to win; however, he would never tank for any reason. Second, I don't think Stidham is the the long-term answer for the Patriots, but, I do think Belichick believes he can win with any QB and is looking to prove he was primarily responsible for the Patriots**** success, not Brady.

• Like (+1) 3

Well when Stidham went in for Brady last year,  BB pulled him after a few plays, and put Brady back in the game.  What does that tell you?  1959, agreed on all you’re points.  He’s definitely not tanking and to the OP, I don’t think NE’s draft was very good at all, but that’s me.  For Miami, anyone can have an A draft when you’ve given away all of you’re talent, and have three first round picks.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well when Stidham went in for Brady last year,  BB pulled him after a few plays, and put Brady back in the game.  What does that tell you?  1959, agreed on all you’re points.  He’s definitely not tanking and to the OP, I don’t think NE’s draft was very good at all, but that’s me.  For Miami, anyone can have an A draft when you’ve given away all of you’re talent, and have three first round picks.

I liked their first three picks (Dugger, Uche and Jennings). Think they are all good good players and good fits in that scheme and their defense did need an injection of youth. I didn't love the double dip at tight end on two players who were somewhat lower on my board than guys who went later (or in Hunter Bryant's case, didn't go at all) and like the Packers I was surprised that they didn't take advantage of the deep receiver class at some point - whether that be in round 2 or round 3.

Agree they are not tanking. I also agree that even if they were planning to they are not bad enough to be seriously in the conversation for a top 3 pick. Them drafting in the top 10? Yea, I can see that. But if you want a Lawrence or a Fields that isn't going to get it done because nobody is trading away the chance to take Trevor Lawrence unless something really weird happens to him this season and I'd be surprised at this point if anyone was willing to trade away a shot at Fields unless it is Cincy (who have taken Burrow this year but still have a woeful defense in a good division) or a team who bizarrely lose their QB to injury for the year (Houston or Seattle or someone like that who have lots of holes and need the picks and have their Quarterback).

As for the Dolphins..... my feelings on their draft are mixed. I am a big fan of the coach - GM combo they have there I think they finally have good people in situ. I loved them taking Tua. Right pick. If he stays healthy he will succeed. The next three picks - Jackson, Igbinoghene and Hunt all high ceiling guys but all went way earlier than I'd have taken them and have some bust potential. After that they got back on track... Davis, Jones, Kindley, Weaver.... all good pick ups. I think Miami will be better than last year but that might not show on their win total by more than a game or two because the schedule is a lot tougher for all of the AFCE. I also think they might start slow because some of those early picks they will be looking at to start are pretty raw.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Belichick Records against:

Sean McDermott is 6-0

Adam Gase is 6-2

Ryan Fitzpatrick is 11-3

Rookie QBs at Home is 11-0

Can he get 20-23 points out of Stidham and trust that his defensive prowess can shut down what has seemingly always shut down his AFC East Opponents?

That May be what he is banking on.

• Like (+1) 2

Stidham was last drafts version of fromm from this draft

A guy the media talked about as being a potential 1st round pick the year before being drafted and then falling in the draft in his actual draft year

Stidham almost declared for the draft the year we drafted Allen and leading up to his decision to return to school he was in the same conversation as Josh Allen Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph in the tier right below Darnold and Rosen

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I liked their first three picks (Dugger, Uche and Jennings). Think they are all good good players and good fits in that scheme and their defense did need an injection of youth. I didn't love the double dip at tight end on two players who were somewhat lower on my board than guys who went later (or in Hunter Bryant's case, didn't go at all) and like the Packers I was surprised that they didn't take advantage of the deep receiver class at some point - whether that be in round 2 or round 3.

Agree they are not tanking. I also agree that even if they were planning to they are not bad enough to be seriously in the conversation for a top 3 pick. Them drafting in the top 10? Yea, I can see that. But if you want a Lawrence or a Fields that isn't going to get it done because nobody is trading away the chance to take Trevor Lawrence unless something really weird happens to him this season and I'd be surprised at this point if anyone was willing to trade away a shot at Fields unless it is Cincy (who have taken Burrow this year but still have a woeful defense in a good division) or a team who bizarrely lose their QB to injury for the year (Houston or Seattle or someone like that who have lots of holes and need the picks and have their Quarterback).

As for the Dolphins..... my feelings on their draft are mixed. I am a big fan of the coach - GM combo they have there I think they finally have good people in situ. I loved them taking Tua. Right pick. If he stays healthy he will succeed. The next three picks - Jackson, Igbinoghene and Hunt all high ceiling guys but all went way earlier than I'd have taken them and have some bust potential. After that they got back on track... Davis, Jones, Kindley, Weaver.... all good pick ups. I think Miami will be better than last year but that might not show on their win total by more than a game or two because the schedule is a lot tougher for all of the AFCE. I also think they might start slow because some of those early picks they will be looking at to start are pretty raw.

Austin Jackson was my favorite pick of the draft.  His selection makes it impossible for Tua to stay healthy.  Crazy how one bad pick can ruin a franchise.  That’s my prediction anyway.

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Austin Jackson was my favorite pick of the draft.  His selection makes it impossible for Tua to stay healthy.  Crazy how one bad pick can ruin a franchise.  That’s my prediction anyway.

Yea some of his tape is a mess. You look at how he did against good edge guys - our own AJ and my guy Bradlee Anae and he was owned. I see the ceiling.... but man does he have a high bust potential. There is a also a question where they start him? For Tua the blindside is the other side.... so does Jackson switch to right tackle? Yea. I didn't love that pick at all from a Dolphins perspective. From a Bills perspective I quite enjoyed it. Their oline is still a major problem for me, I think Kindley was the best of their oline picks. He will be a solid NFL guard.

• Like (+1) 1

Pats have to play the same very tough schedule we play this year, so I'll take Josh over Stidham in that situation.  Stidham will see defenses the likes of which he has never seen in live action and we'll just see how he does.   Josh is ready now, Stidham hasn't even played a game yet.  Not very concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Stidham has better athleticism than Fromm.  He may not quite have Fromm's grasp of the game, but he's no slouch either.  He certainly doesn't have the ability to do everything Brady does mentally on the field.   Belichick might have attempted to sign a better QB if the Patriots had a better cap position.  Since they don't, I think he decided to continue to rely on the running game and build an even more formidable defense.

Brady was pretty awful last year.  How much worse could Stidham be?  At least he can move and won’t throw the ball into the ground at the first hint of a pass rush.  I’m pretty sure Belichick did not want another season of that.

Really, it doesn’t matter how good he is. We have had to deal with the best QB in nfl history being in our division for the past 20 years. Only the Bills, Jets and Dolphins know what that hell is like. For the first time in 2 decades, the division isn’t over before the season starts. We are all on equal ground heading into the season and I’ll take that. This kid can be good, or even really good and it doesn’t matter. He’s not Brady. No matter who they have for the rest of time, they won’t be Brady. It’s finally over and I’m good with our chances against anyone else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Brady was pretty awful last year.  How much worse could Stidham be?  At least he can move and won’t throw the ball into the ground at the first hint of a pass rush.  I’m pretty sure Belichick did not want another season of that.

Brady did the best he could with the lack of talent he had around him.  Stidham will struggle badly, especially facing the toughest schedule in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 4