Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy on Jake Fromm

18 hours ago, Cal said:

You clowns still pushing Fromm lol. He is a bum. Was a 5th round pick for a reason. Go root for another team, this is Allen's team. Like is said before, don't understand the hate for Allen from 90% of you from the get go.

Fans can say good things about Fromm. That doesn't automatically mean they are trashing Allen. Most talk about Fromm's ability to be a good backup or traded for a higher draft pick. There's only like one post that suggests he could compete with Allen in the future and it was a very hypothetical post.

3 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You keep saying that if you can do it against SEC DBs that it will translate to the pro game, yet the fact is most of the QBs who succeeded in college it doesn't translate. Even the ones that had the most success in the SEC all-time.

Here are the Top 10 all-time SEC quarterbacks ranked by career passing yards.

Player School Passing Yards Years
1. Aaron Murray Georgia 13,166 2010-13
2. David Greene Georgia 11,528 2001-04
3. Chris Leak Florida 11,213 2003-06
4. Peyton Manning Tennessee 11,201 1994-97
5. Eric Zeier Georgia 11,153 1991-94
6. Danny Wuerffel Florida 10,875 1993-96
7. Jared Lorenzen Kentucky 10,354 2000-03
8. Eli Manning Ole Miss 10,119 2000-03
9. Casey Clausen Tennessee 9,707 2000-03
10. Bo Wallace Ole Miss 9,534

2012-14

And here are the Top 10 all-time SEC quarterbacks ranked by career touchdown passes.

Player School Passing Yards Years
1. Aaron Murray Georgia 121 2010-13
2. Danny Wuerffel Florida 114 1993-96
3. Peyton Manning Tennessee 89 1994-97
T4. Chris Leak Florida 88 2003-06
T4. Tim Tebow Florida 88 2006-09
6. Eli Manning Ole Miss 81 2000-03
7. Andre Woodson Kentucky 79 2004-07
8. Jared Lorenzen Kentucky 78 2000-03
T9. Rex Grossman Florida 77 2000-02
T9. AJ McCarron Alabama 77 2010-13

As you can see the two lists above are riddled with QBs that did nothing or next to nothing in the pro game.

Two hall of famers and a couple of starters turned back ups.   Not to shabby imo. 

On 5/1/2020 at 4:04 PM, ScottLaw said:

I’m ok with the pick so long as IF Allen regresses this season they aren’t “all in” with Allen and Fromm going into the 2021 season and bring in a heavy investment at QB via FA or the draft prior to that season..... hopefully it’s a non issue and Allen continues to improve. 

I have an issue trusting these guys with the QB position considering their history.

What in the world would make you think josh Allen is going to regress

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Two hall of famers and a couple of starters turned back ups.   Not to shabby imo. 

Not even close to what one would think the way you were talking. I see one sure fire HOFer, one most likely HOFer and most of the rest did little to nothing or next to nothing in the NFL. After the 2 Mannings more than half the list never threw a pass in an NFL regular season game and another one who threw exactly 8 passes in his career.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes I am being serious

explain your stance

I would like to hear this also. Why would one think Josh would regressed when A.) He has more weapons than last year including a #1 WR now. B.) Josh improved in nearly every statistical category from year 1 to year 2.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Even first round QB's have red flags.  There is no certainty of success from any draft pick.  These are young men that are going up to a higher level of competition.  It is certainly not easy to succeed as an NFL QB.  But agreed taking Jake Fromm in the 5th round, the downside is minimal.  The kid is a winner.  He is a gamer.  He competes hard, is smart and can make plays.  Does he have amazing physical tools?  Not to the level of some QB prospects.  But that's not a necessity to being a solid NFL QB.  Joe Montana did not have a cannon for an arm, the fastest 40, or was 6'5 250 pounds.  But he was an amazing QB in an era where the defense was allowed to beat the snot out of the QB w impunity.  (look up the hit he took from Jim Burt in the Meadowlands in the playoff game against the Giants in 86 or 87.  My goodness)   Physical tools are great but understanding the nuances of the game and using the mental side to always have the edge is what separates the champions of every sport.  A quick example:  The best starting pitcher of the modern baseball era (since 1980's) was.....Greg Maddux.  From a physical perspective he was maybe 5'11 and 180 pounds.  The most normal looking guy ever.  Guy won over 350 games!!  He barely ever threw above 88-89 mph.  But he knew how to pitch better then anyone, and his ball was always moving.  Anyone who watched him knows what I mean.  He took his physical ability and combined that with superior knowledge of how to pitch, and an amazing grit and competitiveness.  Loved watching him.   Not saying that Fromm is that.  But you all should get the point.  He will make the Bills better at the least because he will be much better then Matt Barkley.  Anything further then that remains to be seen.  But for anyone to say he is trash or a scrub (my kids included) are sorely mistaken.

Maddox was tough.  I see similarities with Staubach and Brees.

14 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

I hope you’re wrong, but I think by the end of the 2021 season you could be right about Fromm.  I don’t hate JA, I think he’s a truly great guy, really nice too.  But if we are looking for the nicest guy to be the QB, then I’ll nominate my neighbor. And it’s not that Fromm is / will be great .... I’m just not sure JA will consistently be able to avoid injury and I’m not sure he will ever be able to translate the game to the satisfaction of the HC.... hope I’m wrong. 

Remember every NFL QB is one hit away, and Josh gets hit more than most.  I believe Fromm could step in and keep us on the playoff quest ?.  Could we say same for Barkley??  Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

I posted the exact throw Nagy was talking about on the first page. 

18-19 yard out from the opposite hash mark on a rope and on time. 

He made it pretty easily and that is about as tough as it gets. 

there are a million different variables between that throw in college and the NFL

First the Duke is not a college football. As silly as it sounds a lot of pros struggle with the change from a college ball to the Duke. The ball is bigger and the laces are  extruded vinyl compared to polyurethane for the college ball which gives it superior grip

Also the speed of the game is vastly different. That WR was college open and beat his guy by 3 yards . You don't get those windows in the NFL

Also the route was run from the slot which also gave the WR a lot of room to the sidelines vs a weaker cb. Even a average NFL CB has great recovery and running deep outs from the slot will get you burned in the league. That same throw to a boundary reciever is 100x harder because the space is condensed and the trajectory different

It was definitely a solid throw , Fromms arm is not terrible but it didn't look the same this past season. It looked much more alive his first 2 years

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/1/2020 at 8:59 PM, Cal said:

You clowns still pushing Fromm lol. He is a bum. Was a 5th round pick for a reason. Go root for another team, this is Allen's team. Like is said before, don't understand the hate for Allen from 90% of you from the get go.

Allen has done nothing so far to claim this team as "his" 

he has a LONG way to go 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The bottom line on Fromm is this

He was drafted to be the backup to Josh.....if he can come in and win like 3 games a year then this draft pick was a total win

I hope to God we don't have to use our backup quarterback three times a year

Josh will have an awfully short career if that happens

On 5/1/2020 at 6:07 PM, DJB said:

Again I posted this in the Fromm thread

A beautiful pass from his own 14 to the opposing 40 right in the bucket hitting the WR in stride. 

the outside the numbers out pass is the true test of arm strength.  If it's not there see Nathan Peterman

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I hope to God we don't have to use our backup quarterback three times a year

Josh will have an awfully short career if that happens

Its an insurance policy.  You dont want it to happen but starting QBs do in fact get dinged up.  This is def still Josh Allen's team.

In a way that is what makes Fromm so intriguing......your season might not be over if we take a minor injury.

2 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

the outside the numbers out pass is the true test of arm strength.  If it's not there see Nathan Peterman

The question with Fromm....which will get answered quick is he smart enough to NOT get goaded into that pass that Peterman couldnt lay off of......Peterman looked good until teams figured out they could goad him into throwing that completely unforgivable pass.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2020 at 4:00 PM, Logic said:

I like that Nagy said he feels that Fromm's lack of arm strength has been overstated. Nagy also mentioned him being in the mould of a Case Keenum or Andy Dalton. To me, if that's what Fromm ends up being, it's obviously a great pick. Whether that means Allen gets an awesome backup for four years, or they can flip him for a pick in the future, or he gets a shot to compete if Allen flames out, it's a good pick for Buffalo regardless.

It’s never a bad idea to take a swing at a QB in the 5th. Especially a prospect with Fromm’s resume. Maybe we strike gold. Having two good QBs is never a bad thing. 

• Like (+1) 1