Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy on Jake Fromm

7 hours ago, CBennett said:

I saw a bunch of guys say look he doesnt have a ROCKET arm but when they compared his arm strength they directly compared it to Brady, Manning(both mannings), Montana,there was one other successful..maybe Brees they also put in there and said he has the same/equal as those guys....not great NOT a noodle arm.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/tom-bradys-nfl-scouting-combine-report-highlights-are-hilarious-retrospect

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

For now....we will revisit that comment at the end of this season.  By that time it may very well be Fromm's team. 

I hope you’re wrong, but I think by the end of the 2021 season you could be right about Fromm.  I don’t hate JA, I think he’s a truly great guy, really nice too.  But if we are looking for the nicest guy to be the QB, then I’ll nominate my neighbor. And it’s not that Fromm is / will be great .... I’m just not sure JA will consistently be able to avoid injury and I’m not sure he will ever be able to translate the game to the satisfaction of the HC.... hope I’m wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Cal said:

You clowns still pushing Fromm lol. He is a bum. Was a 5th round pick for a reason. Go root for another team, this is Allen's team. Like is said before, don't understand the hate for Allen from 90% of you from the get go.

We hate Josh? Haven’t seen any evidence of hating JA here.  I do see you called others here “clowns” and you already came to the conclusion Fromm is a “Bum” and he hasn’t even been with the team for a full week yet.  But it’s the others who are “hating”.... that’s great ! 

Anyone who thinks Fromm is Peterman 2.0, doesn’t have a firm grasp of the players careers so far.

Fromm beat out two other very good quarterbacks in college, Peterman had to transfer out because he lost his job. Fromm played in the SEC, best conference in college, the draft proved that again. Fromm is going to win his coaches and teammates over. Fromm doesn’t have the talent Allen does. Fromm is the better prospect than Barkley. This isn’t a Fromm verse Allen discussion. 
I will feel a lot better with Fromm on the bench than Barkley. Fromm stepped In his freshman year and his team went to the National Championship game. Fromm kept his team in every game except the Auburn regular season game. UGA came back and destroyed Auburn in the SEC championship game. 
I am a UGA fan, I am also someone who didn’t think Fromm was going to get drafted before the third round. You turn on Fromm’s tape and nothing really stands out. I will say, I think Fromm is good at giving his receivers a shot at a ball. When he has good receivers he excels. This past season he had very little play makers in the SEC which is the best group of football teams outside of the NFL. Fromm will beat out Barkley, we should all be hoping for that. Fromm is a winner, I want a confident calm backup who doesn’t let the situation get to him. Fromm already showed he could do that in college when he took his team into Notre Dame for his first start and led UGA to victory. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Watching his “highlights” I can’t help but think that Fromm looks like a poor man’s Matt Barkley to me...very disappointing that we missed out on Eason and Morgan...at least their arm talent would give you hope that maybe, one day, they could turn into NFL QBs...

I think within the next couple of years Fromm will take over for Barkley. He's a smart young man and will pick up the the offense. His arm strength is on par with or better than Barkley's as well. At the same time I don't believe that Josh needs to be looking over his shoulder at all. The only way Fromm gets thrust into starting is if Allen gets injured or completely regresses to year one Josh, the former more likely than the latter. It was a good value pick for the Bills in the 5th. Fromm faced the toughest competition in the nation playing in the SEC and held his own. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

You don't say? :flirt:

But, but, but, doesn’t he always say...

?

9 hours ago, eball said:

And, you have an issue with them at WR. And, you have an issue with them at OL. And...

The guys got issues...

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

Arm strength doesn't mean dropping balls in a bucket.     NFL QBs have to throw the majority of their balls with less arc than college QBs due to the better recovery time of DBs, tighter coverage, etc.    All of Fromm's passes (that I've seen) have a pronounced arc, even his dump offs.    If he can't overcome that, it won't matter what kind of head he has on his shoulders... 

Not buying it. At UGA, he played week after week against teams like Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Auburn—all packed with NFL-caliber DBs.  He’s not playing against future insurance salesmen.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, DJB said:

Again I posted this in the Fromm thread

A beautiful pass from his own 14 to the opposing 40 right in the bucket hitting the WR in stride. 

The 14?  You must be the ball setter for Patriots games.

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Watching his “highlights” I can’t help but think that Fromm looks like a poor man’s Matt Barkley to me...very disappointing that we missed out on Eason and Morgan...at least their arm talent would give you hope that maybe, one day, they could turn into NFL QBs...

Dude, it's a fifth round pick.  Find me a QB, or any player really, from the late rounds that doesn't have some sort of red flag.  They're all project fliers at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Cal said:

You clowns still pushing Fromm lol. He is a bum. Was a 5th round pick for a reason. Go root for another team, this is Allen's team. Like is said before, don't understand the hate for Allen from 90% of you from the get go.

You dont understand the irrational hate for Allen, but its ok to have some irrational hate for Fromm?

The only fact here is that he was picked in the 5th round. Another fact is that the Bills had him significantly higher on their board. 4th? 3rd? Only Beane and his staff knows. 

He could have been a 1st rounder and still nobody would know what kind of qb he will be on the scale from bum to hof'er. Nobody. You, me, Beane or Fromm himself. Let things play out.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Settle down.  First of all, if you're thinking Fromm has a chance to unseat Allen anytime soon, you'll be sorely disappointed.

As for the video, I'm using it to illustrate what a 10-yard out means to me.  And whether Fromm has thrown any of those (without it getting INT'd).  And if there are none of those...it means he's smart enough to know he can't make that play.

Even the Fromm throw in that video from the Florida game..... I'm not sure that gets there in an NFL game. An NFL DB has the speed and recognition to break on that ball and at the very least force an incompletion IMO. He is better than Nathan Peterman, it is hard to be that bad. But he isn't close to a Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Even the Fromm throw in that video from the Florida game..... I'm not sure that gets there in an NFL game. An NFL DB has the speed and recognition to break on that ball and at the very least force an incompletion IMO. He is better than Nathan Peterman, it is hard to be that bad. But he isn't close to a Josh Allen.

Like i said, it was a nice throw, but the WR was leading the CB.  I'd expect him to be able to make that throw.  Again it's those throws in the Peterman video that would tell me more.  Although, like I said, I hate those throws.

I think the Seattle scout Nagy's comparison of Fromm to Dalton is very encouraging. I saw another scout compare him to former Jet Chad Pennington, another heady quarterback with a mediocre arm.  No reason to believe any of our posters have more insight than those scouts (even if their comments are valid), so why not give the kid a chance?  His film to me shows a leader and gamer and with exceptional pocket-awareness and decision-making.  I choose to be optimistic, and if he can be the equivalent of a Dalton or Pennington (picked in the 2nd and 1st respectively), he is an absolute steal.  Welcome to Buffalo Jake, go get 'em!  

• Like (+1) 1

Every time I’ve seen this guy he looks like he’s throwing with all arm. No real torque or rotation in his lower half to generate velocity 

not a qb guru at all but something doesn’t look right when he throws. 

4 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I think the Seattle scout Nagy's comparison of Fromm to Dalton is very encouraging. I saw another scout compare him to former Jet Chad Pennington, another heady quarterback with a mediocre arm.  No reason to believe any of our posters have more insight than those scouts (even if their comments are valid), so why not give the kid a chance?  His film to me shows a leader and gamer and with exceptional pocket-awareness and decision-making.  I choose to be optimistic, and if he can be the equivalent of a Dalton or Pennington (picked in the 2nd and 1st respectively), he is an absolute steal.  Welcome to Buffalo Jake, go get 'em!  

Yeah, not sure why people are making definitive statements before we actually see Fromm, or any player for that matter, in an actual NFL game.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

The 14?  You must be the ball setter for Patriots games.

Dude, it's a fifth round pick.  Find me a QB, or any player really, from the late rounds that doesn't have some sort of red flag.  They're all project fliers at that point.

Even first round QB's have red flags.  There is no certainty of success from any draft pick.  These are young men that are going up to a higher level of competition.  It is certainly not easy to succeed as an NFL QB.  But agreed taking Jake Fromm in the 5th round, the downside is minimal.  The kid is a winner.  He is a gamer.  He competes hard, is smart and can make plays.  Does he have amazing physical tools?  Not to the level of some QB prospects.  But that's not a necessity to being a solid NFL QB.  Joe Montana did not have a cannon for an arm, the fastest 40, or was 6'5 250 pounds.  But he was an amazing QB in an era where the defense was allowed to beat the snot out of the QB w impunity.  (look up the hit he took from Jim Burt in the Meadowlands in the playoff game against the Giants in 86 or 87.  My goodness)   Physical tools are great but understanding the nuances of the game and using the mental side to always have the edge is what separates the champions of every sport.  A quick example:  The best starting pitcher of the modern baseball era (since 1980's) was.....Greg Maddux.  From a physical perspective he was maybe 5'11 and 180 pounds.  The most normal looking guy ever.  Guy won over 350 games!!  He barely ever threw above 88-89 mph.  But he knew how to pitch better then anyone, and his ball was always moving.  Anyone who watched him knows what I mean.  He took his physical ability and combined that with superior knowledge of how to pitch, and an amazing grit and competitiveness.  Loved watching him.   Not saying that Fromm is that.  But you all should get the point.  He will make the Bills better at the least because he will be much better then Matt Barkley.  Anything further then that remains to be seen.  But for anyone to say he is trash or a scrub (my kids included) are sorely mistaken.

• Like (+1) 4

I am not sure why people are making definitive statements either.  As I recall, the board exploded with outrage last year when we took Singletary in the third -- battle cries went up.  "Wasted pick, running back in the third," and "he is a gadget player at his size, a luxury pick with our roster full of holes."  And I was all like "yeah, did we really need a running back there."  Then I saw him play!

I trust Beane and the quality staff he has assembled.  If he was sticking out on the Beane's board, I am glad that we got him in the 5th. 

15 hours ago, DJB said:

Again I posted this in the Fromm thread

A beautiful pass from his own 14 to the opposing 40 right in the bucket hitting the WR in stride. 

Wasn't that in a dome?

Try doing that in NewEra