Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy on Jake Fromm

2 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

:56 second mark

A good throw but that's not what I think of when I think of a 10-12 yard out. I'm thinking more of what happens in the following video at 1:02 and 2:50:

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

A good throw but that's not what I think of when I think of a 10-12 yard out. I'm thinking more of what happens in the following video at 1:02 and 2:50:

What does Peterman have to do with Fromm?

I can show TONS of highlights of Josh Allen not even able to hit the broad side of a barn, so who cares about his arm strength?  How many deep passes and outs did Allen wiff on this past year?  TONS.  He was one of the worst passers in the NFL, that is a fact. 

I'm not even close to sold on Allen, as every single in depth, meaningful statistic shows he is going to fail.

Edited by TwistofFate

Fromm is an ideal candidate for a backup QB role.  Smart, humble, etc.  Has talent but not elite, so probably not a huge threat to the starter, but can come in and keep the chains moving and not make a lot of mistakes.  The upside is that he shows really well and can be dealt for a higher draft pick in the future, the likelihood is that he shows OK and is a good, reasonably priced backup for years to come, and the downside is that he's a bust and you're out a 5th round pick, which isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.  A good draft pick in this slot.

8 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I can show TONS of highlights of Josh Allen not even able to hit the broad side of a barn, so who cares about his arm strength?  How many deep passes and outs did Allen wiff on this past year?  TONS.  He was one of the worst passers in the NFL, that is a fact. 

I'm not even close to sold on Allen, as every single in depth, meaningful statistic shows he is going to fail.

Settle down.  First of all, if you're thinking Fromm has a chance to unseat Allen anytime soon, you'll be sorely disappointed.

As for the video, I'm using it to illustrate what a 10-yard out means to me.  And whether Fromm has thrown any of those (without it getting INT'd).  And if there are none of those...it means he's smart enough to know he can't make that play.

• Like (+1) 2

To be real, when this was in the National championship game as a freshman: I assumed down there road he’d be a #1 overall pick. Fast forward to now and we get the guy in a round where you usually pick 80% special teams nobody’s. Can’t be anything but thrilled about it. The possibilities are endless and the risk is zero. I believe this kid has a chance to be a long term back up and fringe starter (Frank Reiech type). Worst case he never materializes and it’s really no harm done.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

To be real, when this was in the National championship game as a freshman: I assumed down there road he’d be a #1 overall pick. Fast forward to now and we get the guy in a round where you usually pick 80% special teams nobody’s. Can’t be anything but thrilled about it. The possibilities are endless and the risk is zero. I believe this kid has a chance to be a long term back up and fringe starter (Frank Reiech type). Worst case he never materializes and it’s really no harm done.

When I watched that national championship game my buddy said that's the number one pick in 3 years

I laughed and said no that's a fifth round pick. Lots of good college quarterbacks never translate , you need traits which he doesn't have many of

I knew there was no chance he'd be a top round pick

58 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

LOL; someone's getting a little taste of their own medicine!  Love it.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I like that Nagy said he feels that Fromm's lack of arm strength has been overstated. Nagy also mentioned him being in the mould of a Case Keenum or Andy Dalton. To me, if that's what Fromm ends up being, it's obviously a great pick. Whether that means Allen gets an awesome backup for four years, or they can flip him for a pick in the future, or he gets a shot to compete if Allen flames out, it's a good pick for Buffalo regardless.

Zactly.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

As for the video, I'm using it to illustrate what a 10-yard out means to me.  And whether Fromm has thrown any of those (without it getting INT'd).  And if there are none of those...it means he's smart enough to know he can't make that play.

The guy being interviewed, who certainly sounds like he knows his stuff, says he has tape of just the throw you want.  He says Jake doesn't have a great arm, but he has an nfl arm. 

I don't think he's taking Josh's job, bit he could be a great backup for three years or so.  The guy compares him to Case Keenum.  I will take Case all day as a backup.  

• Like (+1) 2

I saw a bunch of guys say look he doesnt have a ROCKET arm but when they compared his arm strength they directly compared it to Brady, Manning(both mannings), Montana,there was one other successful..maybe Brees they also put in there and said he has the same/equal as those guys....not great NOT a noodle arm.

Beane was trying to spend this pick trying to move up for Zac Moss...

Whilst I am not a fan of Fromm so far and have low expectations about him amounting to much ..  the risk of giving him an opportunity is negligible...

Love the Fromm pick. He plays like a baby drew Bree's. Regardless of arm strength; the kid sticks the pigskin right in there. Not afraid to take chances. Ahhhhhh reminds me of the Amish Rifle .....our boy Ryan Fitzmagic.......

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I have an issue trusting these guys with the QB position considering their history.

And, you have an issue with them at WR. And, you have an issue with them at OL. And...

• Like (+1) 1

I thought of Fromm as no lower than a 3rd round prospect, so to get him in the 5th is a steal. I felt sure the the Pats* were going to draft him as he fell. I felt he was a perfect fit for their short passing game. People comparing him to Barkley are off base. Watch some tape of Barkley and you will see “moon balls.”  Fromm, while not the greatest athlete, is not that guy. He played against NFL caliber players his entire career and won. This pick is nothing but upside, even if the end result is only a quality backup.  This is a pick smart GMs make. The investment is next to nothing and the return potential is huge. You could easily make the argument that backup QB is the 2nd most important position on the team. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

0% unless Allen is hit by train

The Love fest with a backup quarterback is ridiculous. He's not as good as Josh Allen

Agreed.  It's not even remotely close.

Fromm won't see the field for at least two years if he makes the team at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, DJB said:

Again I posted this in the Fromm thread

A beautiful pass from his own 14 to the opposing 40 right in the bucket hitting the WR in stride. 

I don't really think throwing long looping passes with touch downfield is what they mean when they say lacking arm strength.

I think its more can he drive the ball to the opposite sideline on a 10 yard out with a CB in tight coverage or will it be like Peterman and hang in the air too long and get picked. That's the type of thing they are talking about with arm strength.

2 hours ago, CBennett said:

I saw a bunch of guys say look he doesnt have a ROCKET arm but when they compared his arm strength they directly compared it to Brady, Manning(both mannings), Montana,there was one other successful..maybe Brees they also put in there and said he has the same/equal as those guys....not great NOT a noodle arm.

Does he have a better arm than Peterman? The question will be can he drive the ball across the field on a 10 yard out with a CB in tight coverage when needed or will the ball hang like it did when Peterman threw it and it gets picked. That is the million dollar question.  If he can make that throw well enough he has enough arm strength to play and succeed in this league as long as he throws with anticipation.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The guy being interviewed, who certainly sounds like he knows his stuff, says he has tape of just the throw you want.  He says Jake doesn't have a great arm, but he has an nfl arm. 

I don't think he's taking Josh's job, bit he could be a great backup for three years or so.  The guy compares him to Case Keenum.  I will take Case all day as a backup.  

I posted the exact throw Nagy was talking about on the first page. 

18-19 yard out from the opposite hash mark on a rope and on time. 

He made it pretty easily and that is about as tough as it gets. 

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Fromm is an ideal candidate for a backup QB role.  Smart, humble, etc.  Has talent but not elite, so probably not a huge threat to the starter, but can come in and keep the chains moving and not make a lot of mistakes.  The upside is that he shows really well and can be dealt for a higher draft pick in the future, the likelihood is that he shows OK and is a good, reasonably priced backup for years to come, and the downside is that he's a bust and you're out a 5th round pick, which isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.  A good draft pick in this slot.

Great value pick. I have no doubt he takes over for Barkley. Smart kid with decent arm and better character. 

5 hours ago, Cal said:

You clowns still pushing Fromm lol. He is a bum. Was a 5th round pick for a reason. Go root for another team, this is Allen's team. Like is said before, don't understand the hate for Allen from 90% of you from the get go.

Hit 60% of yor passes and you'll see the hate dissipate quickly. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1