Christian Wade on TikTok

2 hours ago, MJS said:

People who know language aren't good at parties? Why do you say that?

Are you ok with some things that aren't exactly grammatically correct being widely accepted to the point professors in college wouldn't even point out the "mistake" cause that's what's happening. Do you also freak out when slang gets added to the dictionary and becomes actual English? Are you infuriated that "ain't" is a real word?

35 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Are you ok with some things that aren't exactly grammatically correct being widely accepted to the point professors in college wouldn't even point out the "mistake" cause that's what's happening. Do you also freak out when slang gets added to the dictionary and becomes actual English? Are you infuriated that "ain't" is a real word?

Have I indicated at all that I'm infuriated by any of that? That's a wild assumption.

Edited by MJS

5 hours ago, MJS said:

People also incorrectly use "data" in the singular, such as saying "here IS the data" when it should be "here ARE the data".

Actually, it's not incorrect.  The use of either singular or plural verb is correct, and it seems that modern style manuals prefer the singular.

There slightly different connotations depending on whether the singular or plural is chosen. 

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually, it's not incorrect.  The use of either singular or plural verb is correct, and it seems that modern style manuals prefer the singular.

There slightly different connotations depending on whether the singular or plural is chosen. 

Language is fluid and changes over time.  The change depends primarily on usage.  in essence, if enough people are saying something in a certain way, eventually it will be accepted and finally regarded as correct.

26 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Language is fluid and changes over time.  The change depends primarily on usage.  in essence, if enough people are saying something in a certain way, eventually it will be accepted and finally regarded as correct.

Right. And in this case, most everyone has moved on. That's what the data is. 

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Oh, I make grammatical mistakes all the time myself. One thing I noticed that is a bad habit for me is using "here's" when I should be using "here are". It's really annoying I keep doing it.

OMG !!!  NO !! the grammar/puncuation police here will be out in force flogging you at every turn because you didn't do something grammatically or punctually correct HOLY S**T Balls !! Never let them know you make mistakes grammatically or other wise now they will be watching for it !! 

Tread carefully young Billswalker may the Fonts be with you ... ?

By the way WTH is Tik Tok ? 

Edited by T master

21 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’d rather read an entire book of GregTX posts than sign up for TikTok

I’m not familiar with his posts but I’m assuming that you are insinuating that they are annoying and/or awful. And to that I will agree

On 5/1/2020 at 11:04 PM, Shaw66 said:

But when can we use datum point? 

On 5/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, MJS said:

Both forms of "data" pronunciation are correct in American English.

People also forget that "data" is the plural form of "datum". So it's correct to say "one datum" and "two data". People like to say "data point" instead of "datum". People also incorrectly use "data" in the singular, such as saying "here IS the data" when it should be "here ARE the data".

Their, they’re thigh Inglish mayger.   Ewe could of just let that won geaux!

On 5/1/2020 at 10:42 PM, MJS said:

Have I indicated at all that I'm infuriated by any of that? That's a wild assumption.

Hey...settle down Bruce Banner.  Woah now.  Big daddy hammersharts is here to do some deep breathing with you.  We don’t want to see what happens when a poster ends a sentence with a preposition.

On 5/1/2020 at 6:05 PM, Don Otreply said:

Folk can’t do then and than correctly, now datum and data...? 

Most people on this board don’t know the difference between “complement” and “compliment.” I cringe every time I see someone say an RB is a good “compliment” to Singletary. 

On 5/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, MJS said:

Both forms of "data" pronunciation are correct in American English.

People also forget that "data" is the plural form of "datum". So it's correct to say "one datum" and "two data". People like to say "data point" instead of "datum". People also incorrectly use "data" in the singular, such as saying "here IS the data" when it should be "here ARE the data".

Periods are inside of quotation marks in American English.