Christian Wade on TikTok

Both forms of "data" pronunciation are correct in American English.

People also forget that "data" is the plural form of "datum". So it's correct to say "one datum" and "two data". People like to say "data point" instead of "datum". People also incorrectly use "data" in the singular, such as saying "here IS the data" when it should be "here ARE the data".

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Chris wins. His lady friend can't speak properly. 

I guess it depends on how you are measuring it. The American English accent is older than the British. The British accent became popular after the settlement of America. When it became prominent in the UK, some of the larger US cities followed the non-rhotic fad, which is why you have non-rhotic variants in New York, New Jersey, Boston, etc.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

People also forget that "data" is the plural form of "datum". So it's correct to say "one datum" and "two data". People like to say "data point" instead of "datum". People also incorrectly use "data" in the singular, such as saying "here IS the data" when it should be "here ARE the data".

Folk can’t do then and than correctly, now datum and data...? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Folk can’t do then and than correctly, now datum and data...? 

Oh, I make grammatical mistakes all the time myself. One thing I noticed that is a bad habit for me is using "here's" when I should be using "here are". It's really annoying I keep doing it.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Oh, I make grammatical mistakes all the time myself. One thing I noticed that is a bad habit for me is using "here's" when I should be using "here are". It's really annoying I keep doing it.

I here ya, ?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The data indicate you’d be a blast at a party. 

Did I say that proper? ;)

Edited by WickedGame
  • Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

The data indicate you’d be a blast at a party. 

Did I say that proper? ;)

People who know language aren't good at parties? Why do you say that?