Final result of the Marcel Dareus trade for Buffalo:

Is it really the end?  In 3 years, after impressing in relief for Josh Allen the past couple of seasons, Beane will trade the highly sought after Jake Fromm for a 1st and a 4th, in order to re-fuel the roster for a run at our second Super Bowl.  There is no end to this story...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In some fairness to them, I've gone back and looked at those 2011-2014 years and can't really find the QB they "should have" gotten.

Passing over Russell Wilson in the 3rd for TJ Graham is the only missed QB I could find. Other than him, there werent any options that were any better than EJ (and even with EJ, they traded down to 17 and still got him). I guess maybe Kirk Cousins too, but not sure how he would have worked out in Buffalo. That's about it. It was just a dark time for QB prospects.

Same goes for when the Bills were trying to replace Kelly. I recently went back and looked at the draft classes from 1995-1998. Holy BARF. Pretty much zero successful QBs came into the league during that window, up until Peyton in 1998.

RG3, Tannehill, and Cousins in addition to Wilson in 2012.  Even Foles would've been a decent option.  There were Jimmy G and Bridgewater in 2014.  Goff/Wentz/Prescott in 2016.  

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

RG3, Tannehill, and Cousins in addition to Wilson in 2012.  Even Foles would've been a decent option.  There were Jimmy G and Bridgewater in 2014.  Goff/Wentz/Prescott in 2016.  

A resounding "Meh" to most of that list. ?

RG3 I dont count as a miss. Tannehill either. Both would have been "same ol Bills" on this team. 2014 was too soon after picking EJ to just give up on him, and I dont think either of those guys were better prospects at the time.

If those are the best prospects we missed out on in that time, that just proves my point that there werent many QBs they could have taken. I guess I could add Foles to Wilson. That's about it.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

A resounding "Meh" to most of that list. ?

RG3 I dont count as a miss. Tannehill either. Both would have been "same ol Bills" on this team. 2014 was too soon after picking EJ to just give up on him, and I dont think either of those guys were better prospects at the time.

If those are the best prospects we missed out on in that time, that just proves my point that there werent many QBs they could have taken. I guess I could add Foles to Wilson. That's about it.

I just remember in 2012 feeling like we waited too long to find a QB and that Fitz wasn't the answer.  I also felt like for 10 years we were incapable of moving around the draft effectively because our GM had no network of contacts in the NFL.  I feel like Tannehill would have actually had a chance here especially with a Gailey style of offense.  

2014 was probably too soon, but they were both probably better prospects. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I just remember in 2012 feeling like we waited too long to find a QB and that Fitz wasn't the answer.  I also felt like for 10 years we were incapable of moving around the draft effectively because our GM had no network of contacts in the NFL.  I feel like Tannehill would have actually had a chance here especially with a Gailey style of offense.  

2014 was probably too soon, but they were both probably better prospects. 

Agreed on that 2012 feeling.

Speaking of Fitz, I think the biggest mistake was cutting him and not letting him act as the bridge QB/mentor while EJ sat for a year. Or better yet, him acting as the bridge QB/mentor while Wilson or Foles sat for a year if we had drafted either of them in 2012.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed on that 2012 feeling.

Speaking of Fitz, I think the biggest mistake was cutting him and not letting him act as the bridge QB/mentor while EJ sat for a year. Or better yet, him acting as the bridge QB/mentor while Wilson or Foles sat for a year if we had drafted either of them in 2012.

That or paying him too much to begin with.  We drafted 1 QB while Fitz was here - Levi Brown.  

I wonder why this team never made the playoffs.

19 hours ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - Dareus was not without problems either.  The suspensions, drug arrest, drag racing... 

I don't think that Beane and McD like wrote him off either - I believe he was given every chance to play and contribute, and he just was not buying in.  Scheme fit doesn't really make sense as a complaint either, I think he should have been able to play a phillips like role as a 3T - but they had him at nose because he was way too heavy.  He didn't want to be here so... trading him for nothing allows you to accelerate cap penalty into 2017, and dump the guaranteed salary in 2018 and beyond.  Double win. 

With Watkins, I think a lot of it came down to availability from injury - and maximizing a previous investment.  They had no intention of re-signing him, and getting the pick they got was much better than forcing yourself to work the comp pick formula.  Ragland wasn't a scheme fit.  Darby wasn't either.  

Yes.  The whole MD situation was about MD himself and nothing else.  It had nothing to do about where they were in the season and everything to do

with whether or not the most expensive player on the team with previous suspensions and staring at an entire year suspension with a badly

written contract was going to come into the Beane/McDermott fold.

In their opinion he wasn't so they got rid of him as soon as they saw that.  Mixing together Beane/McDermott's MD decision

with any other 2017 moves is an exercise in futility.  The MD move was done on it's own.

39 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes.  The whole MD situation was about MD himself and nothing else.  It had nothing to do about where they were in the season and everything to do

with whether or not the most expensive player on the team with previous suspensions and staring at an entire year suspension with a badly

written contract was going to come into the Beane/McDermott fold.

In their opinion he wasn't so they got rid of him as soon as they saw that.  Mixing together Beane/McDermott's MD decision

with any other 2017 moves is an exercise in futility.  The MD move was done on it's own.

I vaguely remember him complaining about his role in the rotation too.  I know he had issues playing nose tackle in the 2 gap scheme under rex - but even as a 1T in this defense he didn't seem to care much.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:41 AM, dneveu said:

Who on that list is taking the 2011-2016 Bills to the playoffs? I think they all would have been marginally better than EJ. I have watched some of his games on rewind and his best games were his first two- Marrone did not help him and would not have helped any of these guys be special.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Who on that list is taking the 2011-2016 Bills to the playoffs? I think they all would have been marginally better than EJ. I have watched some of his games on rewind and his best games were his first two- Marrone did not help him and would not have helped any of these guys be special.

I think making a move for Tannehill in 2012 would've been beneficial.  It wouldn't have been a commitment to fitz - but lets be real... no one should commit to fitz.  They lacked any foresight at the most important position on the team. 

It would have also had a roster strategy other than "lets go into a horribly weak QB draft... in dire need at QB".  That's how you end up forcing yourself to commit to EJ manuel despite him not being that type of prospect you commit to.  They also could've more aggressively pursued alex smith.  Try and build a strong defense, and an efficient offense.   Still draft someone in 2013-2015.  Instead - they did nothing... signed kevin kolb.  A sub-60% passer with almost as many INTs as TDs. Woof.  Even if he didn't get hurt - woof.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think making a move for Tannehill in 2012 would've been beneficial.  It wouldn't have been a commitment to fitz - but lets be real... no one should commit to fitz.  They lacked any foresight at the most important position on the team. 

It would have also had a roster strategy other than "lets go into a horribly weak QB draft... in dire need at QB".  That's how you end up forcing yourself to commit to EJ manuel despite him not being that type of prospect you commit to.  They also could've more aggressively pursued alex smith.  Try and build a strong defense, and an efficient offense.   Still draft someone in 2013-2015.  Instead - they did nothing... signed kevin kolb.  A sub-60% passer with almost as many INTs as TDs. Woof.  Even if he didn't get hurt - woof.

Now we have 2 sub 60% passers and one with a 10-21 td to int ratio!

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

EJ was probably not going to be the guy but what Marrone did with him was criminal.  Their development of him was an absolute joke. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2020 at 12:31 PM, dneveu said:

That or paying him too much to begin with.  We drafted 1 QB while Fitz was here - Levi Brown.  

I wonder why this team never made the playoffs.

We also drafted 1 QB after EJ until McD got here. 

Rocket science it is not.