AJ Epenesa - Position Fit

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I just saw a McDermott interview and he said can play out side and inside. 

He’ll be a really good stunt option IMO.

Three drills do not nearly form the basis for comparison for a given player's best position.  I'll give you one that isn't the whole story - Ed Oliver plays at (we're told) 285-290 on a 6''0-1 frame.  Epenesa is 6'4-5 and has been listed around 275-280.  Body composition notwithstanding, just comparing height/weight/speed is not telling anyone much of anything. 

Epenesa looks most like a 40 front LDE and was, in all likelihood, drafted to play there.  After all, they signed 2 DT's this off-season, drafted Oliver last year, already had Phillips and Star from the year before.

Let's not overthink this.  Especially because he's not going to be a 1 technique if he played inside and could (underscore could) bump inside to rush as a 3 tech.  Does that push out Oliver on passing downs?  I'd hope not considering Oliver's a top 10 pick.  Which situations does Epenesa move in? 

43 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I think that Terrell Suggs also fell in the draft due to his more limited athleticism.  Some guys don't test well but are just great football players.  Let's hope AJ is one of those guys.  Other guys are great athletes and/or put up great combine numbers, but are not necessarily great football players.  Bills FB Jamie Mueller from the Super Bowl teams was one of those guys.  Mueller was a decent football player and a good guy to have on the roster, but he was not a standout on the field, despite stellar combine numbers.  His career stat are in the graphic below.  (My apologies - I can't figure out how to make the image larger, but if you click on it, it expands.)

image.png

Or rather, some positions aren't accurately tested for. What does a 40 yard dash have to do with a defensive end? Nothing, really. The tests are limited in what they can actually measure, especially when it comes to certain positions. I mean, they are almost meaningless for offensive linemen and quarterbacks. Almost meaningless for defensive linemen. I'd say they are most meaningful for defensive backs and wide receivers, and even then they don't predict success at all.

19 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Three drills do not nearly form the basis for comparison for a given player's best position.  I'll give you one that isn't the whole story - Ed Oliver plays at (we're told) 285-290 on a 6''0-1 frame.  Epenesa is 6'4-5 and has been listed around 275-280.  Body composition notwithstanding, just comparing height/weight/speed is not telling anyone much of anything. 

Epenesa looks most like a 40 front LDE and was, in all likelihood, drafted to play there.  After all, they signed 2 DT's this off-season, drafted Oliver last year, already had Phillips and Star from the year before.

Let's not overthink this.  Especially because he's not going to be a 1 technique if he played inside and could (underscore could) bump inside to rush as a 3 tech.  Does that push out Oliver on passing downs?  I'd hope not considering Oliver's a top 10 pick.  Which situations does Epenesa move in? 

He could move inside on pass rushing downs (3rd and long) and it would be Hughes - Oliver - Epenesa - Addison.

But I'd imagine he'd be rushing from the edge a lot too, because he can and he's good at it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

It is going to be a while before we see the new players hit the field. My biggest concern with AJ is his quickness and athleticism. Given that I would not be surprised to see him bumped inside more often than on the edge. End of the day it is about what he does on the field but for comparison purposes his times fit the DT mold more than DE. 

40 time

Epenesa: 5.04

Oliver: 4.73

Star: 5.41

H Phillips: 5.21

Taylor: 5.07

Murphy: 4.86

Addison: 4.70

Hughes: 4.65

Jefferson: 4.95

3 Cone

Epenesa: 7.34

Oliver: 7.15

Star: 7.66

H Phillips: 7.28

Taylor: 7.58

Murphy: 6.78

Addison: 6.96

Hughes: 6.99

Jefferson: 7.95 (must have slipped)

20 yd shuttle

Epenesa: 4.46

Oliver: 4.22

Star: 4.65

H Phillips: 4.50

Taylor: 4.59

Murphy: 4.20

Addison: 4.28

Hughes: 4.15

Jefferson: 4.37

Interesting but Beane already said they can use him inside.  He can move and will move if that puts a compelling combination out there. 

I think he can be a very effective DE.  He can play every down, set the edge for the run game, and get to the QB.  Not a classic speed edge guy - an overall defensive end.  

Then there is heart, and he shows a lot.  Players that play hard like him tend to have enough game speed, which your straight line sprinting times don’t really show.  

Either way he could prove to be a great pickup.  

Edited by Bob in STL

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

I think Epenesa and Jefferson will spend more of their time on the left side of the line and inside second.  Addison will rotate in mostly for Hughes.  Murphy may be lucky to hold on to a job, or he may get traded.  Epenesa's game is not about speed and bend.  Rather it is about leverage, power and balance.  I suspect in the pros, he won't be any more than a single digit sack guy, but if he's good versus the run, that may be enough.

Well, for those who like to reference the Combine stats, Murphy did very well.  He was first in the 3 Cone Drill, second in the 20 yd shuttle and  4th out of 9 in the 40 yd time.  His numbers of course are from a few years ago and don’t take into account his age and injury history.

6 hours ago, freddyjj said:

He is a LDE on base D, Early downs and will play the strong side.  His job will be to hold the edge vs the run.  Shaq showed he could do it, Murphy...not so much.  On obvious passing downs McD and Frasier can now build a pass rush with Addison and Hughes outside and any combination of Jefferson/Epenesa and Oliver inside.  Alot like the Giants DLine in 2007.

24B334BC-434B-40BE-8BAF-91EE9E19FBED.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So if he’s 1/2 of a second slower over 40 yards, that would make him 1/8th of a second slower getting to a opposing QB ten yards behind the line of scrimmage?  Doesn’t sound like much to me.

But it’s everything to a hater..

6 hours ago, DFT said:

He’ll be a really good stunt option IMO.

If Frazier would actually call stunts.  Maybe now he will be more inclined to do so with Epenesa and Jefferson at the edges, at least we can hope.

6 minutes ago, Happy said:

If Frazier would actually call stunts.  Maybe now he will be more inclined to do so with Epenesa and Jefferson at the edges, at least we can hope.

You’re kidding, right?

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

You’re kidding, right?

No.  Why would I be?  We are typically vanilla up front.  Frazier gets creative with his disguised coverages in the back field.

27 minutes ago, Happy said:

No.  Why would I be?  We are typically vanilla up front.  Frazier gets creative with his disguised coverages in the back field.

I disagree with your contention.

The Bills defensive line employs plenty of stunts. 

Jerry and Kyle, in particular, were a lethal combo in this regard. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I disagree with your contention.

The Bills defensive line employs plenty of stunts. 

Jerry and Kyle, in particular, were a lethal combo in this regard. 

By Kyle, you mean Kyle Williams, I assume?  Maybe they stunted more under Jim Schwartz or Wrex.

I don't recall them doing much stunting at all last year.  Even in season's past, Leslie Frazier is not the type to be aggressive up front.  I'm wondering if that would be any different if McD, himself, was the DC.  I don't recall what Carolina did as far as the line goes.

Anyway, Leslie is fairly conservative regarding what he does with the line.

21 hours ago, ngbills said:

It is going to be a while before we see the new players hit the field. My biggest concern with AJ is his quickness and athleticism. Given that I would not be surprised to see him bumped inside more often than on the edge. End of the day it is about what he does on the field but for comparison purposes his times fit the DT mold more than DE. 

40 time

Epenesa: 5.04

Oliver: 4.73

Star: 5.41

H Phillips: 5.21

Taylor: 5.07

Murphy: 4.86

Addison: 4.70

Hughes: 4.65

3 Cone

Epenesa: 7.34

Oliver: 7.15

Star: 7.66

H Phillips: 7.28

Taylor: 7.58

Murphy: 6.78

Addison: 6.96

Hughes: 6.99

Jefferson: 7.95 (must have slipped)

20 yd shuttle

Epenesa: 4.46

Oliver: 4.22

Star: 4.65

H Phillips: 4.50

Taylor: 4.59

Murphy: 4.20

Addison: 4.28

Hughes: 4.15

Jefferson: 4.37

So Hughes is/was a freak. That's what I got from this. Wow, how did Indy use him poorly enough to trade him? Where would Hughes of ended up in this years draft?

Edited by MrSarcasm