Canada bans all assault weapons immediately

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The proposed Canadian ban has not been finalized. But it mainly applies to assault rifles. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-politics-guns-idUSKBN22C3NS

Although the article is unclear in its wording, some of the guns described would be classified as assault weapons and not assault rifles which are not synonymous and shouldn’t be used interchangeably.

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

Thank god for the 2A and the Bill of Rights.

And thank god for Antonin Scalia’s interpretation of the 2nd A. Not that it made any difference. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Although the article is unclear in its wording, some of the guns described would be classified as assault weapons and not assault rifles which are not synonymous and shouldn’t be used interchangeably.

I agree with you that there is a distinction between assault weapons and assault rifles. My reading is that law would be directed toward assault rifles. Very soon there should be a clarification as to which weapons are involved in this issue.

Edited by JohnC

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that there is a distinction between assault weapons and assault rifles. My reading is that law would be directed toward assault rifles. Very soon there should be a clarification as to which weapons are involved in this issue.

That mini Ruger mentioned is just a semi auto scout platform. 

im just assuming actual assault rifles are illegal for the public to own in Canada, they are in the US...?

And this is why we can't have nice things in our family.

~Canada

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

Interesting contrast to the demonstrations at the Michigan state capitol yesterday. 

gettyimages-1211398273-531b1074a74472185

image.thumb.jpeg.3195137d22e7f442d1a40390b40c75d5.jpeg

People protesting a war were tear gassed and even shot and killed while doing nothing but shouting. Nowadays, we can march on the capitol with rifles equipped with high volume magazines and it’s just fine. The times we live in. 

Don't worry... In 2-14 days... A bunch will contract the COVID-19.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Do they know their 2nd amendment rights? 

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

And this is why we can't have nice things in our family.

~Canada

'Murica

3 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Do they know their 2nd amendment rights? 

'Murica

Snowflake Generation.  Staying home builds mental fortitude. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8256573/Why-crisis-making-Snowflake-Generation.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That mini Ruger mentioned is just a semi auto scout platform. 

im just assuming actual assault rifles are illegal for the public to own in Canada, they are in the US...?

My understanding is that assault rifles are legal in the US. Although I believe they may have to be modified. 

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

My understanding is that assault rifles are legal in the US. Although I believe they may have to be modified. 

That's a common misconception. Assault rifle refers to a firearm that (among other things) has selective fire ie user control over rate of fire for semi automatic, burst, or full automatic. They're illegal to purchase and pretty much illegal to own...those guns are strictly military weaponry, and although they may have civilian variants that do not have selective fire those are what people are referring to when they talk about 'assault weapons' primarily: semi automatic military-styled firearms, usually rifles, without selective fire. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They may contract covid-19 and infect someone innocent and vulnerable, or someone whose job is caring for same

They may also take up a hospital or ICU bed someone who caught the virus while working an essential job (a HCW, say) might need. 

Would feel better about their right to protest as they are if they'd all sign their "Freedom Card" and get it witnessed, first.
Image may contain: text

38 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I tip my hat to all involved in this discussion.  I'm a gambling man, and it has well exceeded the over,  before getting shipped off to PPP. 

Some scissors may have been involved

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They may contract covid-19 and infect someone innocent and vulnerable, or someone whose job is caring for same

They may also take up a hospital or ICU bed someone who caught the virus while working an essential job (a HCW, say) might need. 

Would feel better about their right to protest as they are if they'd all sign their "Freedom Card" and get it witnessed, first.

Agree!!!!

I sent that to my crybaby co-worker. /smh He will love that.  Cries "feedom" but games the system.

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Funny how when somebody makes a political joke, the mods slap their d*ck

But when the mods want to make a political post of their own....

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Funny how when somebody makes a political joke, the mods slap their d*ck

But when the mods want to make a political post of their own....

It's a disease.  It doesn't GAF about your politics.  There is a zero-sum game with health care resources though.

If someone wants to run around yelling about his freedom or racial oppression or any other political cause during an outbreak of contagious disease in a way that contravenes public health measures and exposes himself to catching it....

.....Their right - just don't take up a hospital bed me or mine or a health care worker or someone vulnerable might need.   That's not about my politics, that's about my health and that of my family and the people who take care of same.

Interesting that you see it as a "political post" though.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

This quite likely stands no chance of not being relegated to the cesspool that is PPP, but it’s very noteworthy and our closest neighbor. The reason given is mass murder.

imagine that..

Apparently current owners may keep them under some type of "grandfathering" clause

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/05/01/prime-minister-trudeau-announces-ban-on-1500-types-of-military-style-guns.html

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good questions. I haven’t seen a printed press release yet, only video -which won’t transfer here. I’m sure we’ll soon find out.

Why would you care.?

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

It's a question that illustrates how little people know about firearm terminology and technology, actually. A semi-automatic is a firearm that cycles the action via energy from spent cartridge to engage the next. Revolvers aren't semi automatics in that a single action operates by the trigger pull simply dropping the hammer, and a double action revolver also indexes the chamber. 

A246546D-419C-41B2-B2E8-2E4A7E98456E.png

Starting mass production today!!