Article: Bills caught in crosshairs of other teams bad decisions

6 hours ago, boater said:

Yeah. And regardless of salary cap increases, spending like drunken sailors still isn't the formula for franchise success, much to the chagrin of armchair GMs.

Edit2: ask a Redskins fan, Cleveland fan or Philly fan how foolish spending has worked for them. At least Philly has some result to show.

There is a big difference is spending big to bring in outside FAs versus spending big to keep guys familiar with and excelling in the system they are in already.

White deserves and has earned being paid as a top tier CB. Dawkins has so far just proven to be an acceptable LT, nothing more. Don't overpay him. Next year both tackles should be a priority in the draft. Allen still has not proven himself to be a Franchise quality QB. This is his make or break year. Tre is the only one that needs to be paid  as of this year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, Mr. WEO said:

They won't pay Dawkins that kind of money.  He's a decent player, but if plays at the same level this year, he would be replaceable.

The 32nd pick of the 2021 draft will be the highest rated OT. :)

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:24 AM, Brennan Huff said:

The first thing I thought when Ryan freaking Tannehill signed that beyond ridiculous extension with Tennessee, in 3 years when we gotta pay Allen big money he’s going to get 40 mil a year. But we will also have 2 rings by then so it will be worth it

If we have 2 rings, I would be happy to give him 40MIL. :)  BUT I hope he wants more SuperBowl trophies and doesn't try to break the bank.  Definitely pay the man, tho.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2020 at 3:58 PM, Cson76 said:

basically the Tunsil and future Ramsey deal inflating the market for dawkins and white

They inflated deals for every future LT and CB.

This is a classic case of a nice problem to have. I'd rather have the LT and CB and figure out the money than not have them

On 5/1/2020 at 12:30 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont want to pay him $20M/year either, but this does bolster the argument some of us have been making that his market value is indeed closer to $15M/yr than the $8-10M some folks here want to pay him.

With the contracts being given out currently he is definitely in 15 a year category. If he is great this year he might be even higher. 

On 5/1/2020 at 11:21 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Sign White. Let another team overpay for Dawkins. Replace him with a 2021 draft pick. 

I could see us drafting a pair of OT's next spring if Dawkins insists on being overpaid. RT and WLB are our 2 weakest positions. CB and TE are major concerns as well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:59 AM, babulator said:

Synopsis: The contracts they offered Tunsil and Ramsey will raise the price to resign Dion and Tre.

And it has always been this way- contracts get larger and larger each year with the exception of most RB contracts.

22 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Contracts are going to continue to go up regardless.  I don’t think Beane will overpay anyone.  Not worried.

And the cap will climb and so will NFL revenues - it all works out. Teams cant overpay for players and sign stupid contracts.

13 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I could see us drafting a pair of OT's next spring if Dawkins insists on being overpaid. RT and WLB are our 2 weakest positions. CB and TE are major concerns as well.

I don’t see any position areas as being “major concerns.”  

They will sign White regardless.

They will get a contract done with Milano.

They might have to overpay to keep Dawkins, because what is the alternative to protecting the blindside of your franchise QB?

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

They will sign White regardless.

They will get a contract done with Milano.

They might have to overpay to keep Dawkins, because what is the alternative to protecting the blindside of your franchise QB?

Dawkins under contract for 1 more year.  I think they could move on from him and figure OT out through draft and FA, if needed.  Again, I don’t think Beane’s going to pay anyone more than they’re worth, and Dawkins is not a top 5 LT in the NFL.  Not even close.  Sometimes GMs need to make tough decisions.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:26 AM, Mr. WEO said:

They won't pay Dawkins that kind of money.  He's a decent player, but if plays at the same level this year, he would be replaceable.

He's better than decent, he's very good. Not great. But very good LTs are what you should have to protect your QB, and they aren't all that common. IMO they'll try hard to get him back, but won't be held hostage. 

If he expects top three or four money, they might easily draft an LT high next year.

People who think he's just good, as in pretty much average, are underrating him.

For example, the only place we did better last year than over left tackle in terms of yardage was around right end. Over left tackle, behind Dawkins, we got 4.59 ALY (see Football Outsiders where this data comes from), which is 10th in the league, which is far better than decent.

Edited by Thurman#1