Article: Bills caught in crosshairs of other teams bad decisions

54 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont want to pay him $20M/year either, but this does bolster the argument some of us have been making that his market value is indeed closer to $15M/yr than the $8-10M some folks here want to pay him.

I can get behind 15M.  That would be acceptable as long as he continues to improve and not regress.  I think on the upward, but to get 20 mill a year, a LT has to be elite imo

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont want to pay him $20M/year either, but this does bolster the argument some of us have been making that his market value is indeed closer to $15M/yr than the $8-10M some folks here want to pay him.

I agree.  I see Dawkins around $15M AAV too.  I’m fine with a 4yr/$60M deal for him.  He’s a good LT and he’s young.  Why create a hole at LT and then have to rely on hitting on an early pick to get back to where we already were?  To save some cap space?  Besides, hit rates early in the draft are still under 50%, people.

People making a comparison with Glenn should remember that Glenn had real injury problems.  That’s what seemed to be the problem with committing to him long-term. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Right, definitely pay White. And I expect him to be in the $20M+ range.

Pay Dawkins too, and it will need to be around $15M. Especially if it is a long term deal (over 4 years).

I just think it’s gonna be 17.5-19M per.  Anything over 17.5 is too much for my tastes

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

I just think it’s gonna be 17.5-19M per.  Anything over 17.5 is too much for my tastes

I see it at $20M because I think we're still 2 years away from that deal happening (based on White's decision). The longer he waits, the higher the average salary and the higher the top salary. You know he's going to want to be the highest paid CB at signing.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  I see Dawkins around $15M AAV too.  I’m fine with a 4yr/$60M deal for him.  He’s a good LT and he’s young.  Why create a hole at LT and then have to rely on hitting on an early pick to get back to where we already were?  To save some cap space?  Besides, hit rates early in the draft are still under 50%, people.

People making a comparison with Glenn should remember that Glenn had real injury problems.  That’s what seemed to be the problem with committing to him long-term. 

To not overpay and put yourself in a bad spot cap wise.  In an ideal world, JA is gonna get 30+ mill a year soon.  Paying an average LT over 18 mill a year is bad business imo.  If he were a stud that stonewalls the best DEs on a weekly basis, pay him 22. But he’s not that

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I see it at $20M because I think we're still 2 years away from that deal happening (based on White's decision). The longer he waits, the higher the average salary and the higher the top salary. You know he's going to want to be the highest paid CB at signing.

Sorry, I was only talking about Dawkins.

Tre isn’t even worth talking about.  I fully expect to make him the highest paid corner and for it to be over 20 a mill if we continue to wait.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

To not overpay and put yourself in a bad spot cap wise.  In an ideal world, JA is gonna get 30+ mill a year soon.  Paying an average LT over 18 mill a year is bad business imo.  If he were a stud that stonewalls the best DEs on a weekly basis, pay him 22. But he’s not that

But no one is suggesting that, and I doubt Dawkins is even asking for that. I think we can all settle on $15M.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Tre isn’t even worth talking about.  I fully expect to make him the highest paid corner and for it to be over 20 a mill if we continue to wait.

Ah, right.

Like I said above, I think we an all agree on $15M. Hopefully Dion can too! :thumbsup:

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

But no one is suggesting that, and I doubt Dawkins is even asking for that. I think we can all settle on $15M.

I didn’t know dion was involved in these 15M a year talks we were having ?

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t get more than 15M a year

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I did not advocate for paying Dawkins $22M.  Or $18M.  I advocated for paying him up to $15M, specifically a 4/$60M contract.  Would you have a problem with that?

• Like (+1) 1

Drafting well is the secret to NFL success.  The Ravens have done it for years--and now the Bills are becoming known for it as well.    It keeps theteam competitive and helps them overcome (and in some cases, resist) the league-wide feeding frenzy that drives player contracts to insane levels.

Whether we pay the going rate, or make a hard decision to let a player go, the good news is that Beane can probably plug a hole with a quality player that can keep the team at a high level (QB being the league-wide exception, as always)... 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I did not advocate for paying Dawkins $22M.  Or $18M.  I advocated for paying him up to $15M, specifically a 4/$60M contract.  Would you have a problem with that?

Not at all.  4-60 and sounds ok to me.  Would really like to see him build on last year, but waiting willi likely drive the price even higher

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Right, definitely pay White. And I expect him to be in the $20M+ range.

Pay Dawkins too, and it will need to be around $15M. Especially if it is a long term deal (over 4 years).

If that’s what keeps them competitive then yes you have to do that. No more being cheap like the Ralph Wilson days

6 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

theres no chance we pay Dawkins unless he turns into an all pro this season 

Beane will draft a franchise LT with our 1st round pick next season or even move up for one. 

I'm fine with paying him - just paying him in the realm of what he is worth.  

Fisher, Armstead, bakhtiari are all approaching FA, so the top numbers will be going up quite a bit.  If you can get him at around the 15 million dollar price point - thats still in the top 10 average annual value.  But less than the Lewan, Solder Tunsil (and probably stanley) deals.  Once 2022 rolls around and armstead, fisher, villanueva, bakhtiari get deals itll be outside that top 10.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I know how early it is to say this but from what I gather, the 2021 draft class will be chock full of OTs. There might actually be more prominent tackles than there were receivers in 2020.

If Dawkins is out, draft Alex Leatherwood.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I wouldn’t break the bank for Dawkins. I would however make Tre the highest paid CB.

white is good.....as good a Gilmore has been for Pats?  Maybe, maybe not....I keep wondering why Gilmore showed so much more for the Pats.....coaching?  scheme?  Anyhow, White will get a big payday.  He is great in the zone scheme.....I don't know how his skills translate to a team that is not zone centric like the Bills.  And, Edmunds may improve to the point he is also worthy of a big contract.  He is not there yet either, like Josh, but both trending to deliver that performance level.