Article: Bills caught in crosshairs of other teams bad decisions

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Dawkins is as good as Cordy Glenn was when they let him go, so I honestly expect roughly the same treatment. Maybe sign Dawkins and draft a LT and see what happens, worst case you signed a good LT long term and have a backup LT, best case you have signed a good LT you can trade and have his replacement ready at hand.

so....pay Dawkins 20 million AND draft his replacement?

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

"The ripple effect of the Rams trading for Jalen Ramsey without a contract extension and the Texans dealing for Laremy Tunsil without a contract is something I have been chronicling for quite a while. Tunsil already hit his grand slam, securing $22M a year from O'Brien, and Ramsey will inevitably crush it as well. Two teams may be caught in the crosshairs of these decisions more than any others. The Ravens – who hope to extend tackle Ronnie Stanley and corner Marlon Humphrey ASAP – and the Bills, who would like to secure the services of left tackle Dion Dawkins and stud corner Tre'Davious White into the future, as well. These dominoes will keep falling, and it will make the terrain more difficult to navigate for other front offices. Actions have consequences."

It appears the author is implying the Bills will have to overpay to resign Dawkins and White because of the Rams trading for Ramsey and Texans paying Tunsil $22M a year. IMO, I think Beane is building a team for a Superbowl run before a lot of big contracts have to be handed out (such as Allen, White, Dawkins, etc...). Beane seems to be loading up on talent while he has the cap space. If Allen turns out to be the QB we've all been hoping for, then he'll be in line for a $100M+ contract extension. With this being the start of year 3 of Allen's contract, I'd say the Bills have two to three more years (maybe more if the franchise tag is used) before Beane will have to restock the roster with rookies and less expensive players. I think all Bills fans would like to see Milano, White, Dawkins and Allen (just to name a few) resigned, but Beane is not going to be able to keep everyone, so it should interesting to see who stays and who goes.

JJ I don't think that all Bills fans would like to see us resign Dawkins yet.  He has work to do to show that he is an upper echelon player, worthy of a big contract. Just because a guy doesn't suck, doesn't mean he is worth $15+ mill per year.  Of course White will deserve top money, and hopefully Allen as well.  Milano is a nice player.  But not sure where his game translates into being a top end game changer.  He is a solid NFL player.  But he needs to improve as a tackler.  I can not see Beane giving Milano a 10+ million per year contract.  If he wasn't giving it to Shaq or Phillips, he won't give it to Milano unless he takes it to another level this year and plays ridiculously well.  I like Milano, but he is a guy who can be replaced if he gets too pricey.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

white is good.....as good a Gilmore has been for Pats?  Maybe, maybe not....I keep wondering why Gilmore showed so much more for the Pats.....coaching?  scheme?  Anyhow, White will get a big payday.  He is great in the zone scheme.....I don't know how his skills translate to a team that is not zone centric like the Bills.  And, Edmunds may improve to the point he is also worthy of a big contract.  He is not there yet either, like Josh, but both trending to deliver that performance level.

Gilmore was very good here. The difference is he now has the Chris Collinsworthless all over him every sunday 

• Like (+1) 1

Since Dawkins has been in the league.. He rarely dominates his assignment. With LT being a intergal part of the offense, with protecting the QB's blindside. He is no more than a JAG. Doubtful some magic light is going to turn on and he makes the transition to a dominant player. Let him walk if his demands are outrageous. 

4 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-why-9-7-record-might-win-bumbling-nfc-north-bills-and-ravens-caught-in-crosshairs-and-more/

"The ripple effect of the Rams trading for Jalen Ramsey without a contract extension and the Texans dealing for Laremy Tunsil without a contract is something I have been chronicling for quite a while. Tunsil already hit his grand slam, securing $22M a year from O'Brien, and Ramsey will inevitably crush it as well. Two teams may be caught in the crosshairs of these decisions more than any others. The Ravens – who hope to extend tackle Ronnie Stanley and corner Marlon Humphrey ASAP – and the Bills, who would like to secure the services of left tackle Dion Dawkins and stud corner Tre'Davious White into the future, as well. These dominoes will keep falling, and it will make the terrain more difficult to navigate for other front offices. Actions have consequences."

Tre is as good or better than Ramsey.  He's getting the top of market when Beane is ready.  Dion won't get Tunsil money, but will be well paid.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They won't pay Dawkins that kind of money.  He's a decent player, but if plays at the same level this year, he would be replaceable.

This is probably true, being the next draft is rich in OTs. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, babulator said:

Synopsis: The contracts they offered Tunsil and Ramsey will raise the price to resign Dion and Tre.

But the new TV deals will more than offset the raises they will ask for. Ie, their percentage they are taking under the cap might actually go DOWN not up in comparison to the deals signed by Tunsil and Ramsey's future deal.

4 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Texans and Rams to extend the two players, and they ended up overpaying.  That distorted the pay scale for tackles and cornerbacks,

We should file a class action lawsuit for malpractice against the Texans and Rams front offices. lol

Sadly, Tre Davious White will now be a one and done contract, along the lines of Stephon Gilmore.

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

But the new TV deals will more than offset the raises they will ask for. Ie, their percentage they are taking under the cap might actually go DOWN not up in comparison to the deals signed by Tunsil and Ramsey's future deal.

You do realize we'll be trying to re-sign Josh Allen the same contract year. give or take?

PS: new TV deals have to go through a layer of negotiation to be become official salary cap numbers. And there is this new thing called the COVID fan-less (reduced revenue season) season that's a real possibility.

I'm glad fans don't run the team.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boater said:

You do realize we'll be trying to re-sign Josh Allen the same contract year. give or take?

PS: new TV deals have to go through a layer of negotiation to be become official salary cap numbers. And there is this new thing called the COVID fan-less (reduced revenue season) season that's a real possibility.

Plus they won't be renegotiated for another 2 years.

all of this is just CBS looking for something to write about. 

Since the new CBA, it's been clear that compensation was going to go up.   It happens every time the salary cap goes up, and it happens every time there's a new CBA.   It has very little to do with the fact that two teams traded for big names who happened to be in their contract years.  

You can be sure that Beane has a very well defined idea of where salaries are going and how much Dawkins and White are worth to the Bills and how much their worth on the open market.   Beane's going to do what he believes is in the team's best interests, and that's what is going to determine whether those guys stay in Buffalo or not.   Those two contracts don't change anything.  

1 hour ago, boater said:

And? They do need to go through negotiation, ESPN is set to expire after 2021 and the others after 2022. The contracts that are negotiated will be before then, hence will likely not end up getting the full amount they could have under the new TV contracts since nobody will know the exact salary cap numbers. 

But regardless those numbers are going up and going up a lot.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

And? They do need to go through negotiation, ESPN is set to expire after 2021 and the others after 2022. The contracts that are negotiated will be before then, hence will likely not end up getting the full amount they could have under the new TV contracts since nobody will know the exact salary cap numbers. 

But regardless those numbers are going up and going up a lot.

Yeah. And regardless of salary cap increases, spending like drunken sailors still isn't the formula for franchise success, much to the chagrin of armchair GMs.

Edit2: ask a Redskins fan, Cleveland fan or Philly fan how foolish spending has worked for them. At least Philly has some result to show.

Edited by boater

the Tunsil thing was a double whammy.  Not only did they just overpay Tunsil in resigning him, but they also gave the Dolphins (who the Bills have to play twice per year) two first round draft picks for gas mask boy.  Then you take into account that lost playoff game..

I really hate the Texans right now

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sure hope you’re right.  Paying that guy 20+mill a year will set us back.  

I agree here.

DD has to prove it this year to get that kind of money. I like him, just not sure he's worth the investment. If he gets it from us, it'll be because he's earned it. 

Tre' on the other hand - pay da man!

It's true. Both players held their teams for ransom. Since they already had so much draft capital invested in them there was no way they would allow those players to walk, and so the players held all the leverage and got massive contracts.

But that's not uncommon. Teams overpay all the time and it has an effect on the market for newer players getting their turn for a contract.

Tre White's contract is going to be massive and make him the highest paid corner in football. And he deserves it.

Dawkins isn't seen as elite by anyone and won't get paid as if he is the best tackle, but he'll still get a big contract. Maybe that contract won't be for the Bills, who knows. But White is the priority.

12 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-why-9-7-record-might-win-bumbling-nfc-north-bills-and-ravens-caught-in-crosshairs-and-more/

"The ripple effect of the Rams trading for Jalen Ramsey without a contract extension and the Texans dealing for Laremy Tunsil without a contract is something I have been chronicling for quite a while. Tunsil already hit his grand slam, securing $22M a year from O'Brien, and Ramsey will inevitably crush it as well. Two teams may be caught in the crosshairs of these decisions more than any others. The Ravens – who hope to extend tackle Ronnie Stanley and corner Marlon Humphrey ASAP – and the Bills, who would like to secure the services of left tackle Dion Dawkins and stud corner Tre'Davious White into the future, as well. These dominoes will keep falling, and it will make the terrain more difficult to navigate for other front offices. Actions have consequences."

Man I hate having to pay good players!

• Like (+1) 1