Article: Bills caught in crosshairs of other teams bad decisions

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-why-9-7-record-might-win-bumbling-nfc-north-bills-and-ravens-caught-in-crosshairs-and-more/

"The ripple effect of the Rams trading for Jalen Ramsey without a contract extension and the Texans dealing for Laremy Tunsil without a contract is something I have been chronicling for quite a while. Tunsil already hit his grand slam, securing $22M a year from O'Brien, and Ramsey will inevitably crush it as well. Two teams may be caught in the crosshairs of these decisions more than any others. The Ravens – who hope to extend tackle Ronnie Stanley and corner Marlon Humphrey ASAP – and the Bills, who would like to secure the services of left tackle Dion Dawkins and stud corner Tre'Davious White into the future, as well. These dominoes will keep falling, and it will make the terrain more difficult to navigate for other front offices. Actions have consequences."

Edited by BillsMafi$

"The ripple effect of the Rams trading for Jalen Ramsey without a contract extension and the Texans dealing for Laremy Tunsil without a contract is something I have been chronicling for quite a while. Tunsil already hit his grand slam, securing $22M a year from O'Brien, and Ramsey will inevitably crush it as well. Two teams may be caught in the crosshairs of these decisions more than any others. The Ravens – who hope to extend tackle Ronnie Stanley and corner Marlon Humphrey ASAP – and the Bills, who would like to secure the services of left tackle Dion Dawkins and stud corner Tre'Davious White into the future, as well. These dominoes will keep falling, and it will make the terrain more difficult to navigate for other front offices. Actions have consequences."

It appears the author is implying the Bills will have to overpay to resign Dawkins and White because of the Rams trading for Ramsey and Texans paying Tunsil $22M a year. IMO, I think Beane is building a team for a Superbowl run before a lot of big contracts have to be handed out (such as Allen, White, Dawkins, etc...). Beane seems to be loading up on talent while he has the cap space. If Allen turns out to be the QB we've all been hoping for, then he'll be in line for a $100M+ contract extension. With this being the start of year 3 of Allen's contract, I'd say the Bills have two to three more years (maybe more if the franchise tag is used) before Beane will have to restock the roster with rookies and less expensive players. I think all Bills fans would like to see Milano, White, Dawkins and Allen (just to name a few) resigned, but Beane is not going to be able to keep everyone, so it should interesting to see who stays and who goes.

• Like (+1) 2

The pertinent part of the article for this thread is the fact that the Houston Texans and LA Rams traded for players (Laremy Tunsil and Jalen Ramsey) at the end of their contracts.  That led to a sense of desperation by the Texans and Rams to extend the two players, and they ended up overpaying.  That distorted the pay scale for tackles and cornerbacks, and teams trying to extend good young tackles and cornerbacks coming off their rookie contracts (like the Bills (Dawkins and White) may have to likewise over pay.

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They won't pay Dawkins that kind of money.  He's a decent player, but if plays at the same level this year, he would be replaceable.

Sure hope you’re right.  Paying that guy 20+mill a year will set us back.  

• Like (+1) 4

The first thing I thought when Ryan freaking Tannehill signed that beyond ridiculous extension with Tennessee, in 3 years when we gotta pay Allen big money he’s going to get 40 mil a year. But we will also have 2 rings by then so it will be worth it

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sure hope you’re right.  Paying that guy 20+mill a year will set us back.  

I dont want to pay him $20M/year either, but this does bolster the argument some of us have been making that his market value is indeed closer to $15M/yr than the $8-10M some folks here want to pay him.

Dawkins is as good as Cordy Glenn was when they let him go, so I honestly expect roughly the same treatment. Maybe sign Dawkins and draft a LT and see what happens, worst case you signed a good LT long term and have a backup LT, best case you have signed a good LT you can trade and have his replacement ready at hand.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I know how early it is to say this but from what I gather, the 2021 draft class will be chock full of OTs. There might actually be more prominent tackles than there were receivers in 2020.

If there is no college football this season, how will that impact the 2021 draft. Will fewer players come out early?

• Like (+1) 2

The other possibility is that Beane can say, look at how stupid those teams are. They totally screwed themselves right out of being title contenders. Do you want to get over paid and go to a team like that, or do you want to be like the Patriots and build a championship team. That may work with Tre and Dawkins. We shall see.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

Out of the two, White is the only one who’s gonna get a big pay day from us. He’s gonna he’s Buffalo Bill for a long time, now for Dawkins he’s good not great but good. He’s not gonna get 20 mil a year not from Buffalo or anyone else for that matter. And he is replaceable especially if they’re able to find someone in the draft next year

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont want to pay him $20M/year either, but this does bolster the argument some of us have been making that his market value is indeed closer to $15M/yr than the $8-10M some folks here want to pay him.

You have to pay white, there’s no excuse. He’s one of the heart and souls on that defense. He deserves to be paid. Now For Dawkins he’s replaceable and I highly doubt he’s gonna command 20+ mil a year. Especially for a player at his caliber that’s being unrealistic 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Out of the two, White is the only one who’s gonna get a big pay day from us. He’s gonna he’s Buffalo Bill for a long time, now for Dawkins he’s good not great but good. He’s not gonna get 20 mil a year not from Buffalo or anyone else for that matter. And he is replaceable especially if they’re able to find someone in the draft next year

You have to pay white, there’s no excuse. He’s one of the heart and souls on that defense. He deserves to be paid. Now For Dawkins he’s replaceable and I highly doubt he’s gonna command 20+ mil a year. Especially for a player at his caliber that’s being unrealistic 

Right, definitely pay White. And I expect him to be in the $20M+ range.

Pay Dawkins too, and it will need to be around $15M. Especially if it is a long term deal (over 4 years).