Dimarco PT

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I believe YOU need to go back and look at the play.

Two men covered DiMarco. That means a WR (John Brown, as Gunner pointed out) was single covered. The play worked as designed.

The problem was Josh THROWING to the double covered fullback deep downfield, not the fact there WAS a double covered fullback deep downfield. 

What made the play fugly was the o-line breakdown and Josh's poor decision.

ok this is 100% wrong. It was a 5 wide spread with 21 personnel which is stupid. 

1. brown left slot and in and mckenzie right slot and in ran short/mid crossing routes into 5 guys in zone covering that area of the field. He wasn’t single covered it was clearly A hybrid zone.

2. Dimarco lines up at wideout, outside the numbers ( whoever called this a wheel route doesn’t know what a wheel route

is) And was single covered.  The safety dropping with one of the easiest backpeddles you'll see covering the deep threat FB And blocking TE referenced below is where the “double” came 

3. Lee smith also ran a 9 route And was also lined up outside of the slot guy and single covered 

4. singletary was really the only guy open about 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. He was On or just outside the numbers on the left side. 

5. Texans rushed 2

6. o line break down? He had all day, see above. 

the deep ball to Dimarco was a throw away basically on the worst personnel and

play design fit I’ve ever seen. safety came over to help the corner and the ball actually was a jump ball Dimarco almost got. 

So you must be referring to a different game, team or I dunno, reality. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

ok this is 100% wrong. It was a 5 wide spread with 21 personnel which is stupid. 

1. brown left slot and in and mckenzie right slot and in ran short/mid crossing routes into 5 guys in zone covering that area of the field. He wasn’t single covered it was clearly A hybrid zone.

2. Dimarco lines up at wideout, outside the numbers ( whoever called this a wheel route doesn’t know what a wheel route

is) And was single covered.  The safety dropping with one of the easiest backpeddles you'll see covering the deep threat FB And blocking TE referenced below is where the “double” came 

3. Lee smith also ran a 9 route And was also lined up outside of the slot guy and single covered 

4. singletary was really the only guy open about 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. He was On or just outside the numbers on the left side. 

5. Texans rushed 2

6. o line break down? He had all day, see above. 

the deep ball to Dimarco was a throw away basically on the worst personnel and

play design fit I’ve ever seen. safety came over to help the corner and the ball actually was a jump ball Dimarco almost got. 

So you must be referring to a different game, team or I dunno, reality. 

Brown ended up singled. That was the idea. They were in zone but the play was designed to clear out the middle of the field for Brown on the crosser. It failed because Brown didn't get off cleanly, the oline failed and Josh lost patience.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We ran that exact play early in the season. Think it was v one of the New York teams. 

That play you're talking about last year was the Oct. Dolphins game. It was a wheel route on the sideline resulting in a 27 yard pu. That was not a deep go route like the Texans game. Like I said earlier he can be occasionally successful on sideline wheel routes but under NO circumstances should he ever be a target on deep go routes. He's not fast, he's not tall and I'm sure his vertical is unspectacular. And yes it was dumb on Josh's part to even go in that direction. The bottom line is DiMarco & Smith's extremely limited contributions hardly warrant 2 roster spots. And I think most fans will agree.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

That play you're talking about last year was the Oct. Dolphins game. It was a wheel route on the sideline resulting in a 27 yard pu. That was not a deep go route like the Texans game. Like I said earlier he can be occasionally successful on sideline wheel routes but under NO circumstances should he ever be a target on deep go routes. He's not fast, he's not tall and I'm sure his vertical is unspectacular. And yes it was dumb on Josh's part to even go in that direction. The bottom line is DiMarco & Smith's extremely limited contributions hardly warrant 2 roster spots. And I think most fans will agree.

I don't think that is the play I was on about. Smith I'd cut tomorrow. He is a blocking tight end who can't block without holding. Di Marco has a role and on that play he attracted two defenders. 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

after the ball was gone maybe. Still bracketed in zone when ball comes out, and that’s 5 or 6 seconds after the snap. Allen made some poor choices, but that play and personnel package was pure trash

Yea Brown got held up at the line. He got free as the ball comes out actually. Josh should have held it longer. But the blame on that play is on Brown, the line and Josh. Not Daboll or Di Marco. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Brown ended up singled. That was the idea. They were in zone but the play was designed to clear out the middle of the field for Brown on the crosser. It failed because Brown didn't get off cleanly, the oline failed and Josh lost patience.

he held it for 6 seconds!!! O line failed? 

can there please be a basic football quiz as a prerequisite for Speculation  about player decision making? 

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

correct!!! Is not called a’wheel’ just because a RB runs it. Dimarco was in a two point stance well outside the numbers at snap. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think that is the play I was on about. Smith I'd cut tomorrow. He is a blocking tight end who can't block without holding. Di Marco has a role and on that play he attracted two defenders. 

Yea Brown got held up at the line. He got free as the ball comes out actually. Josh should have held it longer. But the blame on that play is on Brown, the line and Josh. Not Daboll or Di Marco. 

Dimarco and Smith were deep threat decoys to open up Brown? 

josh should have held it longer than 6 seconds? 

Let’s say these are true, is that a play destined for success. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Dimarco and Smith were deep threat decoys to open up Brown? 

Oh This is getting awesome! 

Yes. You might not like it. But that is what it was. And it worked. Execution, as it did for much of the season, sucked.

7 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Does anyone know or where to get information on how often Dimarco is on the field. I wonder if the Bills running game is that much better with him out there. I wonder cause he takes a roster spot. Teams are starting to use ST LBs, and TEs as a FB to save a spot. May be worth a look. 

you can look up snap counts at somewhere like pro football reference. If you want to see actual play outcome on individual plays when he’s in, well you gotta actually go rewatch the games don’t you think?

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. You might not like it. But that is what it was. And it worked. Execution, as it did for much of the season, sucked.

Not a chance. Daboll was being cute thinking they could hit Dimarco on the outside. Brown’s cut in was so lazy there is no chance he was a late read in that play. 

the only good that came from this one was Dimarco and smith came off the next play (probably for oxygen) for the guys who should have been in for that play, and knox immediately got a first down. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not a chance. Daboll was being cute thinking they could hit Dimarco on the outside. Brown’s cut in was so lazy there is no chance he was a late read in that play. 

the only good that came from this one was Dimarco and smith came off the next play (probably for oxygen) for the guys who should have been in for that play, and knox immediately got a first down. 

Nope. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think DiMarco plays out his contract and they are looking for a new fullback next year. I wonder if they go after Kyle Juszcyk again as he will be in the final year of his deal this season. 

I myself was really hoping they would pusue Dan Viatle, or Rooseevlt Nix but obviously they didnt. I’m interested to see how Bronson Rechsteiner does with the Ravens. He likely doesn’t make their squad, but he’s and interesting guy. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

A perfect play?.....you're saying that tongue in cheek right?....I've never found DiMarco to be a productive member of this team. I also consider him a huge waste of a roster spot based on his time on the field and impact. I liken him to Lee Smith. 

Lee, the other deep threat decoy on that play ?‍♂️

7 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Does anyone know or where to get information on how often Dimarco is on the field. I wonder if the Bills running game is that much better with him out there. I wonder cause he takes a roster spot. Teams are starting to use ST LBs, and TEs as a FB to save a spot. May be worth a look. 

I want to gauge out @Gugny's eyes every time I see DiMarco's name in print.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

(whoever called this a wheel route doesn’t know what a wheel route is)

That was my bad.  I wasn't aware of the pre-snap lineup.  I know what a wheel route is, I was just assuming that's what the FB ran.  

The reason why DiMarco ran a go route is because of how the EP offense works.  It blends formation audibles with specific personnel to create mismatches.  DiMarco was meant to draw double coverage on his go route in order to open up Brown to single coverage (and it worked).  

The key to the EP is a QB who can quickly recognize and exploit the matchup problems that arise from how a given play is called.  Josh is only getting better at that.  This is his make or break year with this offense.  

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Yep - basically if they don't throw a guy over there you just throw it right off the snap and you can get like 6-10 yards.  NE does this with Develin sometimes.  You split him there so they have to adjust the coverage to edelman.  

I'd be willing to give the rookie a long hard look though.  Depends on his hands, blocking, special teams ability etc.  He did block a few kicks in college though - he's also most likely bigger, stronger, and faster than Dimarco.  Also a high character fella.  We'll see i guess. 

it’s a personnel thing.  You get them in personnel you want with “big”.  Then split them out.  The FB our wide is kind of just sacrificing a pawn for a knight.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The line didn’t fail.  Allen had all day to throw. The announcer’s call was literally, “Allen...Look at the time he has!”

The Texans had three men on the line and 8 in coverage.  Then they dropped the nose back into coverage.  It was a 2 man rush.

Go to the 38:30 mark in this video.  https://gamepass.nfl.com/game/bills-at-texans-on-01042020?condensed=true

Saying the line failed is literally just making things up.  There were 5 linemen blocking 2 rushers, and even those 2 were just sort of there.  They weren’t really even trying to pressure.

18 minutes ago, Capco said:

That was my bad.  I wasn't aware of the pre-snap lineup.  I know what a wheel route is, I was just assuming that's what the FB ran.  

The reason why DiMarco ran a go route is because of how the EP offense works.  It blends formation audibles with specific personnel to create mismatches.  DiMarco was meant to draw double coverage on his go route in order to open up Brown to single coverage (and it worked).  

The key to the EP is a QB who can quickly recognize and exploit the matchup problems that arise from how a given play is called.  Josh is only getting better at that.  This is his make or break year with this offense.  

he didn’t draw double anything  .. the safety back peddled at geriatric speed supporting the ‘go’ routes for both single Man covered Dimarco and lee Smith. 

there were five other guys in a zone handling the other 3 (JB, IM, DS) and they rushed 2. 

if I fault josh for anything on that play it’s that he might have led Dimarco to the sideline deeper and away from safety help or checked down to Devin. But it was a lousy play with that group. 

i don’t even care that much about this argument but all the mistruths made me re watch it because I remembered concluding what a dump play it was. 

Fiction::: fact 

1) wheel route:: was go 

2) 4th down:::  was second and they converted next play 

3) double coverage on PD::: single man on lee and Pat with safety help 

4) single coverage on JB::: 5 guy zone hybrid on 19/15/26

5) o line break down and josh threw too fast::: threw 5-6 seconds after snap And two man rush more than handled, third rushed late out of zone after mckenzie squatted in a non existent hole. 

6) designed for brown:::: ran route at 40% speed 

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

The line didn’t fail.  Allen had all day to throw. The announcer’s call was literally, “Allen...Look at the time he has!”

The Texans had three men on the line and 8 in coverage.  Then they dropped the nose back into coverage.  It was a 2 man rush.

Go to the 38:30 mark in this video.  https://gamepass.nfl.com/game/bills-at-texans-on-01042020?condensed=true

Saying the line failed is literally just making things up.  There were 5 linemen blocking 2 rushers, and even those 2 were just sort of there.  They weren’t really even trying to pressure.

Line failed was probably unfair, yep. In my memory it was a 3 man rush. But regardless the rest of what I said stands.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

DiMarco was not the target on that play.  Josh got flustered and chucked it deep.