Dimarco PT

Does anyone know or where to get information on how often Dimarco is on the field. I wonder if the Bills running game is that much better with him out there. I wonder cause he takes a roster spot. Teams are starting to use ST LBs, and TEs as a FB to save a spot. May be worth a look. 

All I know is there should never be a play call for 4th and long in the 4th quarter of a playoff game where Allen is chucking the ball up for Dimarco in double coverage. I’m sure that not how the play was drawn up but he shouldn’t have even been on the field..

Edited by Brennan Huff
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

All I know is there should never be a play call for 4th and long in the 4th quarter of a playoff game where Allen is chucking the ball up for Dimarco in double coverage. I’m sure that not how the play was drawn up but he shouldn’t have even been on the field..

Actually, it was the perfect play call with the perfect personnel on the field.  It was simply poorly executed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Actually, it was the perfect play call with the perfect personnel on the field.  It was simply poorly executed.

...and well defensed by Houston, not fooled.

31 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Does anyone know or where to get information on how often Dimarco is on the field. I wonder if the Bills running game is that much better with him out there. I wonder cause he takes a roster spot. Teams are starting to use ST LBs, and TEs as a FB to save a spot. May be worth a look. 

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/buffalo-bills-snap-counts

I like the fact that the Bills have a FB on the roster when he was brought in from ATL he was held as 1 of the best in the league i just wish they would use him more as a weapon like the 9ers use their FB (I'd spell his name but don't have a clue) .

All the so called "Experts" say the running game is no longer relevant in the NFL but it seems that every team that wins the SB has a pretty dam good running game just saying . Then there's the thing of a RB by commity which sure it's great for those guys to have less wear & tear but i miss those games the a back just catches his groove at like 25+ carries & it could still be that way .

Henry last year for the Titans is a NFL rarity now and they say his type don't exist any more but i'm sure the Bus & others disagree i think the entire RB by commity is more to have a different plan of attack than it is because the RB's can't play more plays these guys have a lot more technology about nutrition, and health than they ever use to so i think RB's could play as much as they use to it's just not what the evolution of coaching has in mind for the future of the NFL RB . 

I once read a smart quote -- I wish I could find it, but I can't -- stating that all NFL offensive systems either have fullbacks or they don't. You almost never see a system that features a fullback suddenly get rid of it all together, and you almost never see an offense that DOESN'T feature a fullback suddenly add one.

Well...Daboll's offense has a fullback. As long as Brian Daboll is the offensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills, they'll carry a fullback. For what it's worth, I believe that Sean McDermott believes in the importance of having one on the roster, too. 

You can argue that a fullback isn't worth the roster spot, but I don't think the coaching staff would agree. By playing tons of special teams snaps and providing blocking goal line and short yardage situations, the fullback provides at least as much value as, say, the WR5 or RB3.

The question, then, becomes "is DiMarco the best guy for the job?". I know that the staff values his leadership, especially now that Gore is gone from the running back room. I believe they also respect his quality special teams contributions and leadership to that unit. The only player who has a chance of pushing him off the roster is the UDFA they brought in, Reggie Gilliam, who, as I understand it, is faster and can also catch passes. But can he block as well as DiMarco? Can he play special teams as well as DiMarco? Are the Bills willing to lose DiMarco's leadership? Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

I once read a smart quote -- I wish I could find it, but I can't -- stating that all NFL offensive systems either have fullbacks or they don't. You almost never see a system that features a fullback suddenly get rid of it all together, and you almost never see an offense that DOESN'T feature a fullback suddenly add one.

Well...Daboll's offense has a fullback. As long as Brian Daboll is the offensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills, they'll carry a fullback. For what it's worth, I believe that Sean McDermott believes in the importance of having one on the roster, too. 

You can argue that a fullback isn't worth the roster spot, but I don't think the coaching staff would agree. By playing tons of special teams snaps and providing blocking goal line and short yardage situations, the fullback provides at least as much value as, say, the WR5 or RB3.

The question, then, becomes "is DiMarco the best guy for the job?". I know that the staff values his leadership, especially now that Gore is gone from the running back room. I believe they also respect his quality special teams contributions and leadership to that unit. The only player who has a chance of pushing him off the roster is the UDFA they brought in, Reggie Gilliam, who, as I understand it, is faster and can also catch passes. But can he block as well as DiMarco? Can he play special teams as well as DiMarco? Are the Bills willing to lose DiMarco's leadership? Time will tell.

He only played 15% of the snaps.  Their 2 RBs combined for 4 rushing TDs.  The Special Teams is bottom half.

He's not contributing on the field in a manner that justifies another year on the roster.  Leadership doesn't count---this isn't a team struggling in the locker room.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He only played 15% of the snaps.  Their 2 RBs combined for 4 rushing TDs.  The Special Teams is bottom half.

He's not contributing on the field in a manner that justifies another year on the roster.  Leadership doesn't count---this isn't a team struggling in the locker room.

Like I said: rarely do offenses who typically roster fullbacks suddenly stop doing so.

Are you advocating that they don't roster a fullback AT ALL? Because I don't think that's going to happen. Their addition of a UDFA at the position backs up this point. They added competition at the position. Not exactly an indication that they want to phase it out altogether.

Are you advocating that DiMarco, specifically, be replaced? If so, who do you suggest?

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

We got you there in the end  

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

agree to disagree 

Gug agrees with you. He is being sarcastic. 

I think you are both wrong. We ended up with Houston doubling Di Marco and Smith. From that point on the numbers on the rest of the field are firmly in the Bills favour. To lose the down from that point is pretty inept football. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We got you there in the end  

Gug agrees with you. He is being sarcastic. 

I think you are both wrong. We ended up with Houston doubling Di Marco and Smith. From that point on the numbers on the rest of the field are firmly in the Bills favour. To lose the down from that point is pretty inept football. 

I have refused to watch this game or any of the highlights because it just hurts too much. All I remember is smith and dimarco out there running routes and I threw my beer can at the tv. They should not have even been out there. We have legit weapons now. You need your best receivers on the field, and those 2 were arguably at the very bottom of the bunch at that point 

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

Like I said: rarely do offenses who typically roster fullbacks suddenly stop doing so.

Are you advocating that they don't roster a fullback AT ALL? Because I don't think that's going to happen. Their addition of a UDFA at the position backs up this point. They added competition at the position. Not exactly an indication that they want to phase it out altogether.

Are you advocating that DiMarco, specifically, be replaced? If so, who do you suggest?

I think it's fine to roster a fullback, just use them properly.  Look at what SF has done with  Kyle Jusczyk, who is an effective weapon.  The way Daboll has managed the fullback position has been a travesty.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I have refused to watch this game or any of the highlights because it just hurts too much. All I remember is smith and dimarco out there running routes and I threw my beer can at the tv. They should not have even been out there. We have legit weapons now. You need your best receivers on the field, and those 2 were arguably at the very bottom of the bunch at that point 

Them running routes meant their best receiver - John Brown was 1v1 on a crossing route. The play was designed to go there. He got jammed off the line was late getting to his spot. The line failed to buy that extra half second against what as ostensibly a 3 man rush and Josh bailed on the play a split second too early (another half second and Brown is open for a big gainer) and chucked it up to the double covered Di Marco. The play call was fine and the Texans fell for it. The execution really sucked.

• Like (+1) 5