Any Bills Cut candidates with trade value?

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

No.

Johnson is not going anywhere. I personally think he is good enough to start on a few teams and will be taking Hughes spot in 2021

Well then it's very likely to be Murphy. 

Hughes, Addison, Murphy, Epenesa, Johnson at DE

Oliver, Lotulelei, Jefferson, Butler, Phillips inside

One's gotta go. Johnson is the least accomplished, Murphy saves the most money. I think that's basically the point GB was making. And that's assuming Vincent Taylor, Mike Love, Cox Jr., and Jonathan Woodard are automatic cuts.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sorry.  Addison is a pretty good player, but he is not better than Murphy - and that’s the reason he’ll be backing him up this year.  I think that is the correct decision and that it will be the one McD makes.  It really seems like 2018 is overshadowing last season.  I’ll just leave it there.  

Addison has had more sacks every single year that Trent Murphy has been in the league. I am not a Murphy hater, I think he has a spot on this team, but in no way is he a better pass rusher than Addison, which is Murphy's strength, as he is better at pass rushing than defending against the run.

37 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

No.

Johnson is not going anywhere. I personally think he is good enough to start on a few teams and will be taking Hughes spot in 2021.

Taylor is the first to go.

I agree I don't think Johnson is going anywhere. That was the whole point of my post. And yea, Taylor is gone, hence me excluding him. It is 10 even once you discount Taylor. That is one too many somewhere.

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I doubt we’ll find a trade partner for our players, but I guess you never know.  I wouldn’t want to let go Long, and  Nsekhe go.  If we could even get a 6th or 7th for Murphy would be great.

Injuries play a factor. Either in bills or other teams.

if trey Adams proves he has talent he could be one of those players they keep on the 53 thus exposing someone rose thry could trade for a pick instead of waiver exposure.  

Another team ram has a WR/returner injury buffalo could have two candidates and trade one.

remrmber how we got Hughes....it was a trade right before camp or early camp both players flipped were a couple years removed from the draft years.

34 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Well then it's very likely to be Murphy. 

Hughes, Addison, Murphy, Epenesa, Johnson at DE

Oliver, Lotulelei, Jefferson, Butler, Phillips inside

One's gotta go. Johnson is the least accomplished, Murphy saves the most money. I think that's basically the point GB was making. And that's assuming Vincent Taylor, Mike Love, Cox Jr., and Jonathan Woodard are automatic cuts.

Exactly that. To me you keep 4 out and out edge guys, 4 out and out inside guys and you have Jefferson who can do both. That leaves me to believe most likely cut / trade is an edge guy. The alternative is you keep Jefferson as one of your 4 interior guys and cut someone there. It won't be Ed. It can't be Star. They just signed Butler and they seem to love Phillips (though I could him maybe as a surprise trade). So 4+4+Jefferson still feels right to me.

I can't see any team trading for picks in the 2021 draft. We don't even know if there will be a college football season. If there is one it will likely be shortened. A lot of good players will probably stay an extra year and scouting will be limited.

On the offensive line, Buffalo currently has: Dion Dawkins, Quinton Spain, Mitch Morse, Jon Feliciano, Cody Ford, Ty Nsekhe, Spencer Long, Evan Boehm, Darryl Williams, Ryan Bates, Victor Salako and Ike Boettger.  That's 12 players.  Buffalo will keep a max of 9.  Besides the five most common group of starters from last season, Buffalo seems to like Bates for his versatility and Nsekhe for his effectiveness when healthy.  Salako and Boettger are likely cuts because they would have little to no trade value.  Between Long, Boehm and Williams I think there may be one trade candidate.

On the defensive line, Buffalo currently has Jerry Hughes, Ed Oliver, Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy, , Harrison Phillips, Darryl Johnson, Mike Love, A J Epenesa,  Mario Addison, Quinton Jefferson, Jonathon Woodard, Vincent Taylor and Vernon Butler.  Again, that is 12 defensive linemen, and the Bills will keep a max of 9.  I think Jerry Hughes, Ed Oliver, Star Lotulelei (for one more year) Harrison Phillips, A J Epenesa, Mario Addison and Quinton Jefferson are virtual certainties to make the team.  Mike Love and Jonathon Woodard are little more than camp fodder (even though the Bills seem to like Mike Love).  I doubt Darryl Johnson or Vincent Taylor have any trade value if he fails to make the team.  Vernon Butler probably does.  

Looking at the defensive line additions, it does seem like Epenesa and Jefferson are both going to be more at home on the left side of the line than anywhere else (though both can move inside on passing downs).  That does seem to make Murphy the odd man out, and as good a trade candidate as anyone.  If a team were to fork over a high enough draft pick, Buffalo could conceivably cover part of his salary.

1 hour ago, Watkins101 said:

Addison has had more sacks every single year that Trent Murphy has been in the league. I am not a Murphy hater, I think he has a spot on this team, but in no way is he a better pass rusher than Addison, which is Murphy's strength, as he is better at pass rushing than defending against the run.

Just so we’re clear, I agree.  But at 33 years old, isn’t that primarily what Addison is here to do - rush the passer?  I’m a lot happier with Addison, Hughes, Epenesa AND Murphy at DE than I am with just the first three and basically nobody - which is what some here are advocating for.  That was my main point.  Also I think we will see more of Murphy in base and run defenses and more of Addison in pass.  I’ll stand by all of that.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I can't see any team trading for picks in the 2021 draft. We don't even know if there will be a college football season. If there is one it will likely be shortened. A lot of good players will probably stay an extra year and scouting will be limited.

I am thinking at the end of camp only, not before. And by that at stage we should know if we have seasons. 

51 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Just so we’re clear, I agree.  But at 33 years old, isn’t that primarily what Addison is here to do - rush the passer?  I’m a lot happier with Addison, Hughes, Epenesa AND Murphy at DE than I am with just the first three and basically nobody - which is what some here are advocating for.  That was my main point.  Also I think we will see more of Murphy in base and run defenses and more of Addison in pass.  I’ll stand by all of that.  

Murphy in run defense are words that make my blood run cold. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Dawkins just has to play how he played down the stretch for a full season. If he does that he will be a top 10 left tackle or pretty close to it next year. But he has to prove it. Because he hasn't put a full season together at that level yet.

Morse is the one who has to play better of the two you are putting in as definite starters. He was very good in pass pro last year but he was below average as a run blocker and to play up to his contract that has to change. 

I think there will be an element of competition at guard. I'd be surprised if Spain didn't ultimately end up our left guard and to a lesser extent if Feliciano didn't end up our right guard. Obviously though the shorter the pre-season period and camp even less chance someone else takes one of those jobs. 

And because the next time Trent Murphy keeps run contain will be the first time. His 5 sacks and 9 QB hits last year were nice but not nice enough for someone who is a liability against the run.

Gunner you know a lot about Football.  I respect your opinions.  I hope you are right about Dawkins  That would be great if he played like a top 10-12 tackle.  Agree about the rest of the O line as well.  But still do not agree about your love for Dimarco.  Don't think he is athletic enuf to be on an NFL roster at this point.  

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Carry over that $7.5 million next year also. I think that's what they're going to do. Go with Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, and Johnson. Jefferson can also slide outside.

Makes sense but too many sensitive Murphy fans,  you take away the last game against the Jets and he had 3 sacks for the regular season.

14 hours ago, DrDare said:

please dont say Ty Nsekhe

I feel he was our most valuable backup last year, and we did not draft OL

I dont have an answer to the question though

They view him as a backup swing tackle and given his and injury history they don’t rely on him to start.   I don’t think they want to trade him unless a big deal came about

The biggest option is Murphy only because he can play and because there’s a cap saving.  The problem is that they won’t get much for him.  Maybe a 6th rounder. They are probably better off keeping him.

I can’t see the Bills flipping any WR for anything more than a 7th because they are WR heavy and the entire league knows that.  

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The issue is simply on the OL and the DL it becomes a numbers game. They have 10 legitimate roster candidates on the dline as I see it (excluding Vincent Taylor). There is no way they keep more than 9. So the question becomes do you keep just your best 9 and cut one (which would likely be Johnson last year's 7th rounder who is both young and very cheap) or from a long term roster perspective does it make more sense to flip one of the others who projects to be a backup if you can get some draft capital back in return? Muprhy would make the most sense but maybe his cap number precludes it.... would they flip Vernon Butler right after bringing him in? Maybe, but unlikely. 

On the Oline they have their 5 starters and two main backups from last year (Nsekhe and Long) they have added Williams and Boehm who at different levels have NFL starting experience and then they have two youngsters Bates and Boettger who we know they really like. That is 11 and again I doubt they keep more than 9. As last year the question is why keep Wyatt Teller as a backup who might be considered a smidgen better than Ike Boettger or Ryan Bates when you can flip him for a 5th round pick and keep the other guy? 

The numbers game means there will be legitimate NFL players on both lines who won't make our roster. When it comes to deciding which stick as backups it is more than just who are the best of them.... age, contract and market value are all going to be considerations.

And you're probably right. I just don't think it will be any guys like Murphy or Nsekhe whom everyone else is talking about. 

There's a chance you pull a pick for a lineman on either side, they are always in demand.  We dont have anybody on the backend of the WR rotation that justifies a pick outside of Roberts if somebody is DESPERATE for a returner and we should be keeping him for that.

Hauska is possible if he has a good summer and they choose to go w Bass.  Kickers are valuable, might pull a 5th for him. 

Maybe Sweeney if they are foolish and keep all the trash in front of him.

Barkley has no value while Dalton and Cam are FA, if he had any prior.

Theres a shot in the secondary as well, but low potential imo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Because at this point I don't see us cutting anyone of value before training camp. Even depth players like Long, or McKenzie, or anyone who plays on special teams provides us with continuity from last season, and continuity is far more valuable this year than in previous years.

Well I look at the offensive line as an example. 
Dawkins

Spain

Morse

Feliciano

Ford

are likely starters.

They'll probably keep 4 of;

Bates

Long

Boehm

Williams

Nsekhe

Boettger

Trey Adams

so if they keep the 5 starters, let’s say Adams and one of Boettger go on the practice squad (one interior guy and one tackle). 

So you’re keeping 4 of Bates Long Williams and Nsekhe and Boehm. 

If they are between Boehm & Long, I could see them trading the loser for a 6th or 7th. 

Defensive line, Wide receiver could have the same predicament. Trent Murphy could be a candidate. For the receivers maybe Foster or Duke Williams could be dealt? Hauschka? 

After seeing Beane get a return for guys like Marshall Newhouse & Russell Bodine, I see them doing something similar once again. 

With Tampa Bay’s kicking situation the way it is and has been, I wonder if they would give up like a 5th for Stephen Hauschka down the line. Obviously it would be ideal for us if the Bass kid to win the job. But I do think Hauschka would have some value for a team like the Bucs. 

...without getting into player specifics and with the 2020 roster being 53/55, safe to say IMO that some pretty decent football talent will be in those final cuts......similar to tough decisions last year......this gang IS good...hard to remember >post Polian era where we had to cut a surplus of talented football players.......