Any Bills Cut candidates with trade value?

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think most would agree on Murphy,  he is not a 10 million dollar player and Bills can save 7.5 million by cutting him.  That gives Beane money to spend in the summer on guys that other team let go.  I still think the team needs to address the LB position,  

Carry over that $7.5 million next year also. I think that's what they're going to do. Go with Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, and Johnson. Jefferson can also slide outside.

• Like (+1) 1

Why is Long always mentioned as a backup?  Were our starting guards even that good last year?   They were not John Hannah and Alan Faneca.  Or even Jim Ritcher and Ruben Brown for that matter.  (I always thought Ruben while good was somewhat overrated)  Let them all compete for starting jobs.  Morse is our center.  Dawkins is our LT I guess.  (Think he needs to play better this year)  And let the rest compete for the remaining 3 positions.  Long Spain Feliciano Ford Boehm Boettgher for the Guards.  Nseke Ford Bates Williams and Adams at RT.  I think the team wants Ford to show enuf to start at RT.  But I think Williams' best at RT is better then Fords.  And you then go with Ford at RG and Williams at RT.  Maybe Long is better then Spain on the left side.  Time will tell.  But the 5 who are starting need to play better then they did  in 2020.  That will be a big boost to the offense.  And sure Beane may be able to flip a back up or two for a late round pick.  He is the master.   The Bodine trade still cracks me up.  He sucked!!

As for Murphy.  He played well late in the year and in the playoff game.  If he continues that, we may want to keep him.  We would have Murphy Hughes Addison Jefferson Epenesa and Johnson.  Competition is great.  Lets see what Johnson can do before we start thinking he is something special.  It will play itself out.  Roster predictions the week after the draft are always a bit silly.  

• Like (+1) 1

QB: In a world where we got the first pick in round 3 for Tyrod and a 5th rounder for AJ McCarron, I have to believe Barkley has some value.

WR: it is very likely that at least 2 of Isaiah McKenzie, Duke Williams, and Robert Foster are not making the team, if not all 3. Some day 3 value there for a WR needy team.

OL: Ty Nsekhe probably has the best value on the list, and Darryl Williams may make him expendable. Spencer Long possible as well.

DL: Moving Trent Murphy wouldn't be surprising. 

K: Stephen Hauschka might have value if Bass comes away with the job.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t understand why so many people here want to dump Trent Murphy because he’s making $8M this season.  To accomplish what?  To get a second round rookie on the field and gut our depth at DE?   I’m sorry, it’s ridiculous.  Or maybe you guys like Addison a lot more than me.  To me he is good as depth/rotation, but I don’t want him starting.  Nor do I want to count on Epenesa being our starter in year one.  Let’s not forget that rookies - especially big ones - tend to wear down as the season wears on.  And then there’s the matter that he’s totally unproven in the NFL.  I liked the pick too, but why put so many eggs in that basket if we don’t have to?

Because I don't think he is very good. 

trent murphy is in BIG trouble

they save $9.7 mil by trading him and $8.0 mil by outright cutting him. likely a jun 1 designation.

you have  quality in Mario Addison to replace him. you also have Epenesa and jefferson as quality rotation. several other lesser names in the mix.

why would they do it ?? to extend Tre White, Dawkins, Milano

12 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why is Long always mentioned as a backup?  Were our starting guards even that good last year?   They were not John Hannah and Alan Faneca.  Or even Jim Ritcher and Ruben Brown for that matter.  (I always thought Ruben while good was somewhat overrated)  Let them all compete for starting jobs.  Morse is our center.  Dawkins is our LT I guess.  (Think he needs to play better this year)  And let the rest compete for the remaining 3 positions.  Long Spain Feliciano Ford Boehm Boettgher for the Guards.  Nseke Ford Bates Williams and Adams at RT.  I think the team wants Ford to show enuf to start at RT.  But I think Williams' best at RT is better then Fords.  And you then go with Ford at RG and Williams at RT.  Maybe Long is better then Spain on the left side.  Time will tell.  But the 5 who are starting need to play better then they did  in 2020.  That will be a big boost to the offense.  And sure Beane may be able to flip a back up or two for a late round pick.  He is the master.   The Bodine trade still cracks me up.  He sucked!!

As for Murphy.  He played well late in the year and in the playoff game.  If he continues that, we may want to keep him.  We would have Murphy Hughes Addison Jefferson Epenesa and Johnson.  Competition is great.  Lets see what Johnson can do before we start thinking he is something special.  It will play itself out.  Roster predictions the week after the draft are always a bit silly.  

I think Dawkins just has to play how he played down the stretch for a full season. If he does that he will be a top 10 left tackle or pretty close to it next year. But he has to prove it. Because he hasn't put a full season together at that level yet.

Morse is the one who has to play better of the two you are putting in as definite starters. He was very good in pass pro last year but he was below average as a run blocker and to play up to his contract that has to change. 

I think there will be an element of competition at guard. I'd be surprised if Spain didn't ultimately end up our left guard and to a lesser extent if Feliciano didn't end up our right guard. Obviously though the shorter the pre-season period and camp even less chance someone else takes one of those jobs. 

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

trent murphy is in BIG trouble

they save $9.7 mil by trading him and $8.0 mil by outright cutting him. likely a jun 1 designation.

you have  quality in Mario Addison to replace him. you also have Epenesa and jefferson as quality rotation. several other lesser names in the mix.

why would they do it ?? to extend Tre White, Dawkins, Milano

And because the next time Trent Murphy keeps run contain will be the first time. His 5 sacks and 9 QB hits last year were nice but not nice enough for someone who is a liability against the run.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because I don't think he is very good. 

I disagree.  He’s a good DE IMO or at least he was last season.  He sucked in 2018.   At the time I didn’t like the contract we gave him in 2018 because he was coming off a bad knee injury - and it sure showed that season.  But times have changed.  He seems like he’s back from the knee and big and $8M is pretty reasonable for a solid starting DE these days.  I’m good with the current group and moving on from him next season.  What’s your plan at DE once you get rid of him?

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I disagree.  He’s a good DE IMO or at least he was last season.  He sucked in 2018.   At the time I didn’t like the contract we gave him in 2018 because he was coming off a bad knee injury - and it sure showed that season.  But times have changed.  He seems like he’s back from the knee and big and $8M is pretty reasonable for a solid starting DE these days.  I’m good with the current group and moving on from him next season.  What’s your plan at DE once you get rid of him?

My plan to replace him? I dunno, a rusty traffic cone? 

He was decidedly not good in 2019 in my opinion. He is one of the worst run defenders I have ever seen. When he was on the field teams just ran right at him. The Giants opening drive, the Cowboys opening drive and one of the long Raven drives stand out as exceptionally bad where they just targeted Murphy on consecutive runs and he was all over the placed. He is atrocious at setting the edge. He has some, limited, rotational rusher value but I think Johnson could do that role. 

My plan would be start Hughes and Addison (who I don't love either) with healthy doses of AJ and Jefferson and a bit of Johnson in obvious passing situations. 

Murphy should be gone. He sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t understand why so many people here want to dump Trent Murphy because he’s making $8M this season.  To accomplish what?  To get a second round rookie on the field and gut our depth at DE?   I’m sorry, it’s ridiculous.  Or maybe you guys like Addison a lot more than me.  To me he is good as depth/rotation, but I don’t want him starting.  Nor do I want to count on Epenesa being our starter in year one.  Let’s not forget that rookies - especially big ones - tend to wear down as the season wears on.  And then there’s the matter that he’s totally unproven in the NFL.  I liked the pick too, but why put so many eggs in that basket if we don’t have to?

So you don't like a much better player in Addison, but wanna keep Trent Murphy?

Ooooooook

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The issue is simply on the OL and the DL it becomes a numbers game. They have 10 legitimate roster candidates on the dline as I see it (excluding Vincent Taylor). There is no way they keep more than 9. So the question becomes do you keep just your best 9 and cut one (which would likely be Johnson last year's 7th rounder who is both young and very cheap) or from a long term roster perspective does it make more sense to flip one of the others who projects to be a backup if you can get some draft capital back in return? Muprhy would make the most sense but maybe his cap number precludes it.... would they flip Vernon Butler right after bringing him in? Maybe, but unlikely. 

On the Oline they have their 5 starters and two main backups from last year (Nsekhe and Long) they have added Williams and Boehm who at different levels have NFL starting experience and then they have two youngsters Bates and Boettger who we know they really like. That is 11 and again I doubt they keep more than 9. As last year the question is why keep Wyatt Teller as a backup who might be considered a smidgen better than Ike Boettger or Ryan Bates when you can flip him for a 5th round pick and keep the other guy? 

The numbers game means there will be legitimate NFL players on both lines who won't make our roster. When it comes to deciding which stick as backups it is more than just who are the best of them.... age, contract and market value are all going to be considerations.

There's always the option of also trading a player for player at another position too.  Sort of what they did with Harold for Bates.  Maybe there's a LB out there or a RB that they had their eyes on that they can pry away with a cut candidate due to an injury or something.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think Bates is too versatile to cut. Maybe Foster can re-discover his 2018 mojo while contributing on special teams. If they can find a younger retrurner, Roberts might have trade value. I am okay moving on from Lee Smith and Jason Croom

Edited by Georgie
spelling

16 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Ooooooook

Sorry.  Addison is a pretty good player, but he is not better than Murphy - and that’s the reason he’ll be backing him up this year.  I think that is the correct decision and that it will be the one McD makes.  It really seems like 2018 is overshadowing last season.  I’ll just leave it there.  

20 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Ooooooook

We have all summer ( I hope ) to decide. Hughes. Addison, Epenesa, Love , Johnson plus Cox and Jefferson,are a good group.. I was hoping for more of a speed rusher;maybe a DE/LB hybrid. If Murphy can still play, might as well finish out the last year if his deal

26 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sorry.  Addison is a pretty good player, but he is not better than Murphy - and that’s the reason he’ll be backing him up this year.  I think that is the correct decision and that it will be the one McD makes.  It really seems like 2018 is overshadowing last season.  I’ll just leave it there.  

Addison is without a doubt a better player 

Wow

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The issue is simply on the OL and the DL it becomes a numbers game. They have 10 legitimate roster candidates on the dline as I see it (excluding Vincent Taylor). There is no way they keep more than 9. So the question becomes do you keep just your best 9 and cut one (which would likely be Johnson last year's 7th rounder who is both young and very cheap) or from a long term roster perspective does it make more sense to flip one of the others who projects to be a backup if you can get some draft capital back in return? 

No.

Johnson is not going anywhere. I personally think he is good enough to start on a few teams and will be taking Hughes spot in 2021.

Taylor is the first to go.

Edited by MrSarcasm