Any Bills Cut candidates with trade value?

We saw Wyatt Teller & Russell Bodine get dealt for late round picks last season.

This year were much deeper and better overall in Our talent base.

Looking at that so we see Buffalo doing a similar set of moves this off-season. 

basically feels like Beane has his own way of getting comp picks without getting the actual Comp picks.

but I could see guys like Robert Foster, Ryan Bates, Ty Nsekhe, & Trent Murphy getting dealt for picks if anyone will take them.

who do you feel is a candidate and what could they get in return for them if they were traded? 

Yea, I’m definitely the “Keep Nsehke” camp.  He’s a decent player.  Nothing great, but we could do a lot worse.  

I don’t know that anyone will be giving us a pick for Murphy given his salary owed.  Maybe. 

With so many teams addressing WR in the insanely deep draft.  Foster and Duke look more like straight cuts to me. 

Then again, I have no idea how we got a pick for Bodine, so we’ll see. 

Edited by SCBills

Spencer Long. He's position versatile at both center and guard and has been a starter in the league. The Bills have enough depth to replace him at either position more cheaply. Only a 700K cap hit for the year. He's better than both guys they got draft picks for last year and somebody always seems to need O linemen.

• Like (+1) 7

Trade for what? Late round draft picks next year? Another running back? LB depth?

I've said in other threads, and I firmly believe that this season, continuity is going to be a valuable asset in the NFL. And, all three of the other teams in our division are going through significant turnover. With severely limited TC, and other team activities, the teams lacking continuity are going to have it much harder this time around dialing in their systems. Many teams are going to have a clumsy first half of the season-- and who even knows how the regular season schedule is going to affected? With the continuity we have on this roster (and that includes Trent Murphy) we could start the season tomorrow and be firing on all cylinders. How many teams can say that?

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Trade for what? Late round draft picks next year? Another running back? LB depth?

I've said in other threads, and I firmly believe that this season, continuity is going to be a valuable asset in the NFL. And, all three of the other teams in our division are going through significant turnover. With severely limited TC, and other team activities, the teams lacking continuity are going to have it much harder this time around dialing in their systems. Many teams are going to have a clumsy first half of the season-- and who even knows how the regular season schedule is going to affected? With the continuity we have on this roster (and that includes Trent Murphy) we could start the season tomorrow and be firing on all cylinders. How many teams can say that?

Yeah, trade players you are going to cut for late round picks... Why do you seem so opposed to it?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Yeah, trade players you are going to cut for late round picks... Why do you seem so opposed to it?

Because at this point I don't see us cutting anyone of value before training camp. Even depth players like Long, or McKenzie, or anyone who plays on special teams provides us with continuity from last season, and continuity is far more valuable this year than in previous years.

Trent Murphy - though I do agree what others say about his cap hit. Robert Foster and Isaiah McKenzie if they don't make the team might have 6th and 7th round value because they have what everyone wants.... speed. If Darryl Williams has a nice camp maybe Nsekhe if someone would give you a 4 or a 5.... I doubt they flip him for less but to a competitive "win now" team whose left tackle goes down right before the season that could make sense. 

Shock name, because I think they really like him, Harrison Phillips. 

• Like (+1) 1

it probably highly situational.  Depends on where other teams have injuries, gaps due to poor performance and where some of our talent stands out as a better alternative.  In addition to Bodine and Teller last year the Bates trade involved a DE.  Its possible for trades of DL, OL, maybe WR, maybe even Barkley depending on the circumstances I just described.  

5 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

but I could see guys like Robert Foster, Ryan Bates, Ty Nsekhe, & Trent Murphy getting dealt for picks if anyone will take them.

Based upon some previous seasons' multiple page threads, why would we trade the 'Second Coming of the Messiah'?!  ?

• Haha (+1) 3

It could happen with the aforementioned people in this thread, but I think our team is all in on this year and we have really nice depth at key positions. Only if guys who hold value are made expendable by the play of others will this happen. I expect both Hodgins and Davis to make the roster so you have Duke, Foster, and McKenzie fighting it out for more than likely one roster spot. If a trade is to happen I would expect it to come from there. They like Murphy and he is in the final year of his deal. Nsekhe provided valuable depth and you need that on your OL so he is gonna stay. I think they stand pat this year and attempt to slip some of the younger guys on the PS. Or you could see the Vosean Joseph effect again with a couple of the players they really like being placed on IR due to injury. 

I don’t understand why so many people here want to dump Trent Murphy because he’s making $8M this season.  To accomplish what?  To get a second round rookie on the field and gut our depth at DE?   I’m sorry, it’s ridiculous.  Or maybe you guys like Addison a lot more than me.  To me he is good as depth/rotation, but I don’t want him starting.  Nor do I want to count on Epenesa being our starter in year one.  Let’s not forget that rookies - especially big ones - tend to wear down as the season wears on.  And then there’s the matter that he’s totally unproven in the NFL.  I liked the pick too, but why put so many eggs in that basket if we don’t have to?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, H2o said:

It could happen with the aforementioned people in this thread, but I think our team is all in on this year and we have really nice depth at key positions. Only if guys who hold value are made expendable by the play of others will this happen. I expect both Hodgins and Davis to make the roster so you have Duke, Foster, and McKenzie fighting it out for more than likely one roster spot. If a trade is to happen I would expect it to come from there. They like Murphy and he is in the final year of his deal. Nsekhe provided valuable depth and you need that on your OL so he is gonna stay. I think they stand pat this year and attempt to slip some of the younger guys on the PS. Or you could see the Vosean Joseph effect again with a couple of the players they really like being placed on IR due to injury. 

The issue is simply on the OL and the DL it becomes a numbers game. They have 10 legitimate roster candidates on the dline as I see it (excluding Vincent Taylor). There is no way they keep more than 9. So the question becomes do you keep just your best 9 and cut one (which would likely be Johnson last year's 7th rounder who is both young and very cheap) or from a long term roster perspective does it make more sense to flip one of the others who projects to be a backup if you can get some draft capital back in return? Muprhy would make the most sense but maybe his cap number precludes it.... would they flip Vernon Butler right after bringing him in? Maybe, but unlikely. 

On the Oline they have their 5 starters and two main backups from last year (Nsekhe and Long) they have added Williams and Boehm who at different levels have NFL starting experience and then they have two youngsters Bates and Boettger who we know they really like. That is 11 and again I doubt they keep more than 9. As last year the question is why keep Wyatt Teller as a backup who might be considered a smidgen better than Ike Boettger or Ryan Bates when you can flip him for a 5th round pick and keep the other guy? 

The numbers game means there will be legitimate NFL players on both lines who won't make our roster. When it comes to deciding which stick as backups it is more than just who are the best of them.... age, contract and market value are all going to be considerations.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t understand why so many people here want to dump Trent Murphy because he’s making $8M this season.  To accomplish what?  To get a second round rookie on the field and gut our depth at DE?   I’m sorry, it’s ridiculous.  Or maybe you guys like Addison a lot more than me.  To me he is good as depth/rotation, but I don’t want him starting.  Nor do I want to count on Epenesa being our starter in year one.  Let’s not forget that rookies - especially big ones - tend to wear down as the season wears on.  And then there’s the matter that he’s totally unproven in the NFL.  I liked the pick too, but why put so many eggs in that basket if we don’t have to?

I'de dump the last year of Murphy for 1 year of Everson Griffen. 

7 hours ago, WMDman said:

I feel like the obvious one is trent Murphy 

I think most would agree on Murphy,  he is not a 10 million dollar player and Bills can save 7.5 million by cutting him.  That gives Beane money to spend in the summer on guys that other team let go.  I still think the team needs to address the LB position,