Drafting Fromm and Bass shows foresight

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Oh ok so one game...LETS GO WITH FROMM! Smh

One game?  He’s 30 years old and has 10 career TDs,  21 INTs, 10 fumbles, and 2,500 passing yards.  You could literally sign any practice squad QB and get equal or better production.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Oh ok so one game...LETS GO WITH FROMM! Smh

SMH. I said most recently. Do you understand what that means? SMH. He didn’t very good at all throughout the season. Oh and I’m shaking my head still. Actually the only time he did look good was the first half a game 2 years ago. Smh

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

One game?  He’s 30 years old and has 10 career TDs,  21 INTs, 10 fumbles, and 2,500 passing yards.  You could literally sign any practice squad QB and get equal or better production.

And there it is

Edited by Brennan Huff
  • Like (+1) 1

A) Fromm was never considered a top prospect. Has always been what he is - a game manager type and likely back up at best. 

B) Barkley is not paid that much. So no it was not some genius move to find a cheaper back up. 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

A) Fromm was never considered a top prospect. Has always been what he is - a game manager type and likely back up at best. 

B) Barkley is not paid that much. So no it was not some genius move to find a cheaper back up. 

Look back 2 years and he was considered a top prospect.  He beat out 2 other top prospects, he's not a bad player, just limited by an average arm.

7 hours ago, DJB said:

His arm strength  is better than people give him credit for

He throws from his  own 14 yard line a tight hard spiral right on the money to the WR in stride to the opposing 40. 

So he’s got that going for him.... ?

Fromm has very good potential to be a long term good BU QB, as does Bass becoming our new place kicker.  That and everywhere Beane can save one to three or four million within the roster makes signing our best an easier task and less burdensome on the salary cap. Smart moves by Beane knowing what is coming down the pike. 

On 5/1/2020 at 8:25 AM, racketmaster said:

Fromm should be a very solid backup qb in the NFL with low end starter upside. His arm strength, although not great, is a little better than some give him credit for as I believe some of his under throws are the result of him not using his legs and relying to much on just his arm. There are throws in the 50-60 yard variety (Vanderbilt and Alabama 2018) that resulted in touchdowns because he put the deep ball on target with little "air" under them. The throws show that he does have the necessary arm strength but he needs to be more consistent in his mechanics. To me he should end up being a player in between Matt Barkley and Kirk Cousins which makes him an excellent 5th round pick. It is almost a certainty that he will be the primary backup to Allen in the 2021 season with Barkley not being resigned and allowing the Bills to save cap $ they will need to allocate for Allen and others. 

Point being is that Beane will continue to be on the lookout for players in the draft, waivers, free agency that can fill roles on the team at affordable options. I would fully expect Milano to be replaced by a drafted player or an undervalued free agent rather than allocating large $ to him. Edmunds will get the big $ at the position and the Bills will not be able to afford to pay 2 large salaries to LBs. So unless Milano takes a significant hometown discount to stay with the Bills he will be one of the first good players drafted by this regime to end up walking out the door. 

Drafting Zack Moss instead of signing a veteran RB like Gordon is another great way to save cap dollars. Having 2 primary RBs on rookie deals saves money that can be put elsewhere. Trading for Diggs and paying a higher premium for the cost controlled contract is what Beane does instead of paying a lesser draft price for Hopkins but then paying significantly more in cap $ for him resulting in not signing or resigning another good player. 

That is why I find much of the talk of acquiring Ngakoue and others like him to be mostly outlandish. We currently have a decent amount of cap space but things are going to get tight real soon and there is no way the Bills go out and start paying huge dollars to outsiders and then have to let others like Dawkins or White go as a result. Think about how much cap $ it will take to retain White, Dawkins, Milano (if they decided on that route which is unlikely) as 2 of them are on the last year of their contract and the other will get a significant pay increase with the 5th year option before he signs a mega deal here or elsewhere. After 2 years, both Edmunds and Allen get big raises with their 5th year options and most likely long-term mega deals. The $ will be spent on these core players, not elsewhere. And once $ is spent on those core players many "peripheral" talent on this team will end up walking out the door. So every drafted player and value free agent that can slide into a peripheral players spot will help maintain the core for years to come. 

This

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/guerry-clegg/article242434981.html

The author states that a year from now Fromm with be the Bills starter. I’m not buying it. 

Don’t be surprised a year from now if he’s the Bills starter because he’s too good to not play. This much is certain. Fromm will say all of the right things because he’s a good teammate. But he’s not going to Buffalo with the intention of being Allen’s backup.”

So strange to me that fans can make such definitive statements about players who haven't played a single down in the NFL, or even players that have barely played.

You'd think they'd want to hedge their bets a little in case they turn out to be wrong, which happens often enough.

Every single year there are players that were drafted in the later rounds that turn out to be quality starters and sometimes even elite players. Nobody knows how these guys will turn out.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:18 PM, Cal said:

Fromm is garbage

This post is going to be proven wrong. Fromm is going to be a great backup. It wouldn’t be surprising at all if he had a Ryan Fitzpatrick type of career. Barkley is lucky we don’t have a full offseason or Fromm would have beat him out.

Anyone watching the 6:00 Bills/Dallas game on replay tonight?  Watching now and forgot that Haushka missed an extra point, 50 yd FG, and bounced one off the upright at 41 that luckily went in. Makes the Bass pick look all that better.

Edited by Bockeye

13 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Anyone watching the 6:00 Bills/Dallas game on replay tonight?  Watching now and forgot that Haushka missed an extra point, 50 yd FG, and bounced one off the upright at 41 that luckily went in. Makes the Bass pick look all that better.

Yeah but then he went on a hot streak and didn’t miss another kick the rest of the year. I think they put in a claim for McLaughlin after this game but Indy got him due to a priority waiver claim

• Like (+1) 1