Can our #2 WR consistently beat one on one coverage

Old Coot

Smoke will be just fine. What I’m equally excited about is Singletary and Moss, since it will be tough to load the box with the pass catching threats we now have. 

Let’s play some football!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm still trying to figure out why the OP ever became concerned that the #1 WR from the Bills last year, who had a career year going against teams' #1 CB and getting doubled, will have a problem against teams' #2 CB?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Old Coot said:

During the sports lull lets do some speculating.

Presumably Diggs will be WR 1 and will often draw double coverage.  Can our WR 2 (presumably Brown but feel free to discuss whomever you think will be WR 2) consistently beat one on one coverage?

If not, can play design accomplish this, for example by stick or other route combinations.

Best year of his career as a #1 last year (where he constantlybeat everyone), and was arguably our team MVP... andddd his job just got easier. Absolutely yes he can

3 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Presumably Diggs will be WR 1 and will often draw double coverage.  Can our WR 2 (presumably Brown but feel free to discuss whomever you think will be WR 2) consistently beat one on one coverage?

If not, can play design accomplish this, for example by stick or other route combinations.

Brown was un-Coverable at times with Nothing On the other side of Him. 

so please Leave Brown 1V1 with the Second Beat CB on a team and watch what happens. 

the Question is and Will remain until he Does. Can Josh Allen take that Next Step to become a top end QB?

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm still trying to figure out why the OP ever became concerned that the #1 WR from the Bills last year, who had a career year going against teams' #1 CB and getting doubled, will have a problem against teams' #2 CB?

I didn't read it and think that the OP thinks Brown can't. I think he just meant it as conversation.

But yeah, I think the answer is pretty obvious. The real question is how many targets will Brown get now? His production likely will drop if Diggs is getting the targets that he got last year. Or, we might have two 1,000 yard receivers, which would be crazy. Have we ever had that?

Just now, MJS said:

I didn't read it and think that the OP thinks Brown can't. I think he just meant it as conversation.

But yeah, I think the answer is pretty obvious. The real question is how many targets will Brown get now? His production likely will drop if Diggs is getting the targets that he got last year. Or, we might have two 1,000 yard receivers, which would be crazy. Have we ever had that?

There's not much conversation there.  Obviously if he can beat most teams' #1 CB, like he did last year on his way to a career year, he can beat their 2nd best CB. 

4 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Uh yeah...he was beating it last year being covered by the other teams #1 CB why wouldn't he be able to against the other teams #2 CB?

This question doesn't even make any sense.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Pretty much the exact same point I made...when this is all over and the bars are reopened, I owe you a beer sir! 

The real question is still, how much will Josh Allen improve?  In particular, can he rediscover his range of deep passes?  Buffalo has ample deep speed now, and receivers who can get open all over the field.  I think Josh became afraid of being intercepted on deep balls some last year, and also got sloppy on his footwork.  I know he's been working with his QB whisperer, Jordan Palmer and supposedly will have that licked.  Beane provided Allen with all the weapons he should need, and if Allen can take a big step forward, the Bills offense should be scary good.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Reed and lofton 91

moulds and price 02

• Like (+1) 1

We have a great trio of WR’s, and Davis may turn out to be something special.  I keep thinking of the Brandon Marshall interview where he said Davis who is 2nd all time in yards from UCF, when Marshall was 3rd overall.  He was full of praise stating he was great at disguising his routes and thus can make an impact.  Now granted he would be a 4th WR so not like he’ll be there on the field a lot, but UCF has developed into a very strong program here in FL.  Most people know FL is one of the top 3 states in the country for youth football, hence why so many are put in Division 1 teams across the country.  FSU, FL, and Miami doesn’t get them all, and over the last decade USF, and UCF have grown in their programs and entice some nice talent to stay in FL.

This is going to be a great crew of WR’s.  The real question is will Allen take the third year step and effectively manage to hit these guys.

I’d like to clarify something here: Smoke very rarely faced double coverage by my study last year.

The 11 personnel group that Buffalo adopted as their base midseason really limited the ability to both double a WR and spy the QB...which would you have chosen? Easy answer IMO.

Smoke quite often, however, faced other teams’ best cover man, and that will likely change.

So perhaps the more pertinent question is “will Smoke be able to feast on CB2s, and will Beasley put slot corners through the meat grinder?”...to which I say: yup.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I’d like to clarify something here: Smoke very rarely faced double coverage by my study last year.

The 11 personnel group that Buffalo adopted as their base midseason really limited the ability to both double a WR and spy the QB...which would you have chosen? Easy answer IMO.

Smoke quite often, however, faced other teams’ best cover man, and that will likely change.

So perhaps the more pertinent question is “will Smoke be able to feast on CB2s, and will Beasley put slot corners through the meat grinder?”...to which I say: yup.

And in addition double Diggs or spy Allen is a tougher choice. I suspect teams spy less than they did last year when the Bills are in 11.