Can our #2 WR consistently beat one on one coverage

Old Coot

During the sports lull lets do some speculating.

Presumably Diggs will be WR 1 and will often draw double coverage.  Can our WR 2 (presumably Brown but feel free to discuss whomever you think will be WR 2) consistently beat one on one coverage?

If not, can play design accomplish this, for example by stick or other route combinations.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Presumably Diggs will be WR 1 and will often draw double coverage.  Can our WR 2 (presumably Brown but feel free to discuss whomever you think will be WR 2) consistently beat one on one coverage?

If not, can play design accomplish this, for example by stick or other route combinations.

Well he was often double covered last year as our #1 WR and had the best year of his career. 72 catches, 1060 yards and 6 TD. I don't think he will have any issues. 

If he can't beat single coverage on a given play, there is also Cole Beasley.

I have a feeling on a given play 1/3 of those guys will be open. 

• Like (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

John Brown did pretty well as the number one guy last year. He got open with speed, quickness, and precise route running. Should have an even easier time this year.

Diggs is great because he's like John Brown on steroids. Not just a good route runner, he is the best. He's quick. Maybe not as fast as Brown (not sure). But the new element that he brings is contested catch ability, something we have sorely lacked.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I have a feeling on a given play 1/3 of those guys will be open. 

Let's see, to have an explosive offense I feel you need:

• Enough good WRs so that the primary receiver gets open regularly on any given play and the others are generally open as well.
  • A line that doesn't blow up more than a few plays per game and that can block for short yardage runs.
  • A quarterback that is a play maker and durable.
  • At least two playmakers besides the quarterback that are a threat to score or have multiple long gains each drive.  Better to have three.
  • Ability to adapt and counterpunch by executing screens and draws and such to combat pressure packages.

It would be a pleasant surprise if we take a large leap in the rankings, but it can happen.  We have most of the ingredients.

And Yes, Brown can win enough against #2 CBs to be effective.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

46 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Is this a real question?

He had a career year against double coverage, why would he be worse against single?

Hey, it's the off-season (and a weird one at that), so how to you have a problem discussing our new WR situation?

Ignore the friggin' post if you don't like the topic.

Crikeys!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think this is where the acquisition of Diggs will really help.  I re-watched most of last season (because what else am I going to do for a sports fix?), and I noticed that when Josh was in trouble, facing pressure, rolling out, etc. he usually looked for Brown.  In games where teams took him away it looked like Josh panicked a bit and it could get ugly (like the grounding calls or interceptions).  With Diggs, he might have two options, but even if it just means that Josh's security blanket is available more often, I think Josh will play a lot better.

Kind off an odd question/premise, Brown has already shown this to be well within his capabilities, to the tune of seventy two receptions, over one thousand yards, and six touchdowns. It is fully known he can do this. 

Now being part of a trio of quality starting receivers, it will be all the more likely he will continue to do so, especially with a TE and RB needing to be accounted for, as well, Allen’s ability to get chunks of yardage running the ball. Frankly it is a given. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

Wow, you guys talk like he was the next coming of Andre Reed, Eric Moulds and James Lofton all in one.  He had a good year, and is a solid receiver.  But he was far from spectacular.  The passing game overall was still below average for today's NFL.  I like John Brown, don't get me wrong.  But he disappeared at times in the second half of the season.  Hopefully with Diggs drawing a lot of attention JB will have another solid year.  

9 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

Hey, it's the off-season (and a weird one at that), so how to you have a problem discussing our new WR situation?

Crikeys!

I liked your post simply because of your profile pic. Neutral on the post content though, tbh.

1 hour ago, Old Coot said:

getting open, take your pick...

Brown off the line, no, given time, yeah. 

cole off the line, yeah, given time, no

59 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

Crikeys!

I am discussing it.  The discussion is that the question is dumb.

• Like (+1) 3