NFL looking into Saturday games if there is no CFB

Greg S

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Not me. I don't watch college ball.

College and Pro both have their charms, which is why I like both.

Pro is watching the best football players in the world.  But with this comes the downside that most outcomes are predictable

College on the other hand, with the exception of the CFP contenders, is alot more unpredictable.  I can sit and watch two teams I know nothing about nor care about the outcome, like Arizona vs Washington St and it will interest me more than watching the Arizona Cardinals vs Seattle Seahawks

46 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Pro is watching the best football players in the world.  But with this comes the downside that most outcomes are predictable

College on the other hand, with the exception of the CFP contenders, is alot more unpredictable.  I can sit and watch two teams I know nothing about nor care about the outcome, like Arizona vs Washington St and it will interest me more than watching the Arizona Cardinals vs Seattle Seahawks

Yes!

Both are very different from one another, but still great.

College, you can tell the players love it and are having a blast. The fans in the stands crying. The fight songs. That look of complete devastation on everyone's faces when they blow a huge game and know their season is (likely) over. Just a great scene. 

I used to think that because I didn't go to a power house school for college, and hence didn't have a rooting interest, I couldn't get fully into it. But then I realized: if you watch the game of the week, it's usually top 10 teams squaring off, and a lot of those guys are going pro. If you watch 10 games a year, and write down 2 or 3 players on the field that you would want the Bills to draft, it actually makes the draft REALLY fun.

The pro game on the other hand is just mastery. It's clearly a business. Sometimes it feels like the business of the league is bigger than the businesses of the teams, meaning, it tends to feel a little... rigged... some times. Maybe that's not the right term, but. The production value is certainly high. But those guys are cogs in the machine out there, it runs really well, its a joy to watch. 

As I've gotten older though, I see how both levels complement one another. 

Same thing with basketball too, for that matter!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I prefer college football to the NFL but prefer the Bills to everything. For me it look like this: 

non-bills NFL game < CFB < Bills

I kind of agree Kirby.  The Bills top everything.  But College Football on the whole has way more pageantry and passion amongst its fan bases.  The games are just insane.  I am a big Michigan fan.  Its my school. But I have also been to games at Va Tech and Auburn several times.  The atmosphere is unbelievable at both.  

13 hours ago, Greg S said:

I prefer the NFL as well but I do watch CFB especially the SEC matchups as that is the best conference.

I’d say it’s very unlikely that the SEC doesn’t play.

Great topic!  I’m a “Bills first” guy and will always remain that way, but I love CFB too and agree with some of the sentiment that I’d rather watch a CFB game between teams I don’t know than an NFL game between two bottom feeders.  I went to a big school (Carolina) and even though our football program was never “great” the atmosphere was awesome.

14 hours ago, peterpan said:

Everyone is thinking about this all wrong.  We will be largely over this Covid thing by Summer.  What the leagues need to be doing is working on plans for if this comes back, and what they'll do in Dec and Jan.

College seasons will be largely complete by the time it comes back (if it comes back).  The College Bowls could get cancelled, but the NFL would be in full swi g

C

based on what?

10 hours ago, /dev/null said:

I don't think pro football is predictable at all anymore at least from a gambler's perspective.  It is kind of become like the NBA where weird sh*t at the end of games cost gamblers on their bets.  

I prefer college football much more,  but I have a bit different perspective since I bet a lot of the games.  I love college football Saturdays & would truly miss it if it did not happen this fall.  I still stand by my perspective that CF doesn't work without fans & if they don't allow fans they should just cancel the whole thing.  I will say I am more excited about the Bills this year then I have been in a long time.  Not having fans at the game would ruin that for me too.