Boston Globe writer insults Bills. Predicts Fromm will start over Allen.

38 minutes ago, Success said:

The record isn't good, and there are no moral victories - but few coaches were able to limit Brady as consistently. I think McD's defenses were very effective against their offense.

Honestly, the thing that bugged me about that article was "pathetic Bills Mafia."   I get that it's a troll, but I will put our fans up against the current crop of New England fans any ol' day.  They actually have long debates on their boards about "are you rooting for Tampa or the Patriots now?"  And they're easily the softest fanbase in the world at this point - no way a lot of those younger fans would make it through the kind of drought we went through, which actually strengthened our loyalty and resolve.

That kind of shot from a lame Boston fan is silly.  And the writer should know better.  He lived through plenty of years (actually decades) of both the Pats and Red Sox being "tomato cans."  One of the wonderful ironies of Boston sports fandom for me is how much they hated the Yankees & their fans for years, and now that's exactly what they are. 

Definitely agree about the shot at Bills Mafia, the best fanbase in all of sports. I honestly think he was purposefully trolling, he probably does know better. 

The part about McD though is exactly the problem that I think exists in most evaluations of him. That would be nice if McD was just a defensive coordinator. But the head coach has more responsibility than that. I wasn't as bothered by being 0-4 vs the Pats in the first two years as I was losing both this past season because both of those were winnable games. That was not the elite Brady of years past, and it really wasn't that good of a team overall. Miami came into NE and did what we couldn't basically a week or so later, and they're in year 1 of their rebuild.

34 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Definitely agree about the shot at Bills Mafia, the best fanbase in all of sports. I honestly think he was purposefully trolling, he probably does know better. 

The part about McD though is exactly the problem that I think exists in most evaluations of him. That would be nice if McD was just a defensive coordinator. But the head coach has more responsibility than that. I wasn't as bothered by being 0-4 vs the Pats in the first two years as I was losing both this past season because both of those were winnable games. That was not the elite Brady of years past, and it really wasn't that good of a team overall. Miami came into NE and did what we couldn't basically a week or so later, and they're in year 1 of their rebuild.

I agree w/ that - it bothered me too this year.  Both games were there for the taking.  That felt like a psychological hurdle more than a talent gap or anything else, which does fall to the coach first.  We have to overcome that.

McD is definitely more of a defensive coach.  He won't get as much of a pass on the offense going forward - we're stacked now. That offense better hum.

18 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

To be fair if Fromm beats out Allen for the starting job the bills are in a really damn good spot.

Multiple first round picks coming the Bills way for either Fromm or Allen in that scenario.

So congrats to the Pats write for predicting a scenario the greatly benefits the Bills?

If Fromm beats out Allen that is not good. It means Allen is going the way of a Mariota and the likes and we are not getting any first rounders for him.

Now that the Patriots will be ordinary, Dan Shaughnesy will have to pay someone to get on a national sports talk show. Shaughnessy outlived his usefulness when Brady left. Who wants to hear a partisan jerk ,with a thick Boston accent, talk about the glory days. Dan, your team had a historic run and you and your cohorts stuck in everyone's ears. Now sit back and watch Buffalo take a stranglehold of the AFC east. The Hoodie will fade off into the sunset and you will be irrelevant.  On a personal note, I felt your articles were amateurish and ridiculously predictable given your blind loyalties. Early retirement is a good career path.

10 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Now that the Patriots will be ordinary, Dan Shaughnesy will have to pay someone to get on a national sports talk show. Shaughnessy outlived his usefulness when Brady left. Who wants to hear a partisan jerk ,with a thick Boston accent, talk about the glory days. Dan, your team had a historic run and you and your cohorts stuck in everyone's ears. Now sit back and watch Buffalo take a stranglehold of the AFC east. The Hoodie will fade off into the sunset and you will be irrelevant.  On a personal note, I felt your articles were amateurish and ridiculously predictable given your blind loyalties. Early retirement is a good career path.

Who wants to hear a partisan Jerk?  The people who want to hear what he has to say...most fans in Boston.  Its not just cable news, people don't want to hear 'news' or 'reporting'....what they want is to listen to someone who will tell them what they want to hear.  Its the old Don Draper line from Madmen..."Advertising is happiness, its a sign telling you that everything is going to be OK"....or something like that.

Its not just Boston...look at most 'spoiled' fanbases where they only know winning for a long time.  It is hard for them to even comprehend losing.  They think their 'franchise' is so great...that even in the worst of years, they will still compete for the playoffs...and it is only a matter of time before the correct pieces are put in place to get them back to winning all the time.

For those of us older, think of the Bills in the early 1990's....even though you knew Kelly and Thurman and Bruce were getting older and going to retire....I remember it being 'common knowledge' and just 'expected' that the next QB would be found, the next good coach was around the corner...and winning would continue as far as you could see into the future.  The level of winning (Superbowl contender or just playoff contender every year) was the only question.

It will probably take a year or two..but pats fans..and Boston writers...will probably eventually come to grips with this.....that there is nothing magic in the water in Foxboro or a magic wand that Kraft has that keeps them winning year after year.  A few bad years in the next 5...and they'll come to grips with it, just like almost every other franchise has in a Salary Cap era once their big stars are gone.

Edited by mjd1001

On 4/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, BuffaloBillies said:

Dan Shaughnessy's Booking Agent and Speaking Fee - Speaker Booking ...

Wow. Just wow.

On 4/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, Buffalo716 said:

And he's calls other humans tomatoe cans...

23 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

May be the reason he selected print over television for his journalism career.

GOINK - GOINK - GOINK!

• Haha (+1) 1

Why do you want to give them free clicks.

best way to deal with this garbage is to ignore it, not send a ton of people on the internet to their website so they right more of it.

sucker move OP

sheesh

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Who wants to hear a partisan Jerk?  The people who want to hear what he has to say...most fans in Boston.  Its not just cable news, people don't want to hear 'news' or 'reporting'....what they want is to listen to someone who will tell them what they want to hear.  Its the old Don Draper line from Madmen..."Advertising is happiness, its a sign telling you that everything is going to be OK"....or something like that.

Its not just Boston...look at most 'spoiled' fanbases where they only know winning for a long time.  It is hard for them to even comprehend losing.  They think their 'franchise' is so great...that even in the worst of years, they will still compete for the playoffs...and it is only a matter of time before the correct pieces are put in place to get them back to winning all the time.

For those of us older, think of the Bills in the early 1990's....even though you knew Kelly and Thurman and Bruce were getting older and going to retire....I remember it being 'common knowledge' and just 'expected' that the next QB would be found, the next good coach was around the corner...and winning would continue as far as you could see into the future.  The level of winning (Superbowl contender or just playoff contender every year) was the only question.

It will probably take a year or two..but pats fans..and Boston writers...will probably eventually come to grips with this.....that there is nothing magic in the water in Foxboro or a magic wand that Kraft has that keeps them winning year after year.  A few bad years in the next 5...and they'll come to grips with it, just like almost every other franchise has in a Salary Cap era once their big stars are gone.

Well crafted post. That says it all when it comes to fans facing reality with their sports teams and the inevitable wall that they hit if they have great success. Thats the way modern sports work. The Pat's are the gold standard but as Shaughnessy  will learn ,it's best to have humility when the walls start coming down. Killing long suffering franchises just makes you look like a jerk and a frontrunner. 

1 hour ago, Nester said:

Why do you want to give them free clicks.

best way to deal with this garbage is to ignore it, not send a ton of people on the internet to their website so they right more of it.

sucker move OP

sheesh

I didn’t click, I won’t click, and I won’t let that idiot rile me up.

Period. 

• Like (+1) 2

This isn't about QB's for the 2020 season. The Patriots had the #1 defense last season and their first three draft picks were for the defense!

The Patriots will run the ball and play great defense this season while asking their starting QB to simply move the chains when he gets a chance. 

That 2019 WC game with NE vs Tennessee Titans @ NE showed Buffalo how to beat New England and it wasn't with throwing it 30-40 times. Titans RB Derrick Henry had 34 rushes for 182 yards and pounded that #1 defense into dust. Also, Brady didn't have a very good game against that not so great Titans D.

Yeah but the Pats defense got exposed as the season went along. You can only play terrible QBs for so long. When they finally got to Lamar, Mahomes and Watson they were showned they weren't unstoppable.

Bills will dominate them this year

2 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Yeah but the Pats defense got exposed as the season went along. You can only play terrible QBs for so long. When they finally got to Lamar, Mahomes and Watson they were showned they weren't unstoppable.

Bills will dominate them this year

Yes it did.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, class_of_2012 said:

Kind of a ridiculous opinion piece by Dan Shaughnessy. I had fun laughing at it. Here are some excerpts:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/30/sports/worried-about-patriots-standing-afc-east-dont-be/

"How can Belichick be so Bird-like, cocky and calm, while the Patriot dynasty seems to be crumbling?

I give you three words: Bills, Dolphins, Jets.

Meet the New Tomato Cans. Same as the Old Tomato Cans. The Jets, Dolphins, and Bills are still Moe, Larry, and Curly. They are knuckleheads, porcupines, and lamebrains."

"Have pity on those poor folks in Buffalo, Miami, and East Rutherford, N.J. They are naive, innocent, and foolish. The pathetic Bills Mafia and New York’s Fireman Ed actually think the Patriots are going to fall from their perch atop the AFC East this year."

"The Bills went 10-6 last season and are the flavor of the month now that Brady is gone. Sorry. Not buying. Mistake-prone quarterback Josh Allen is not the answer. Allen is the Joe Kelly of NFL QBs and will lose his job to 167th draft pick Jake Fromm."

"Meanwhile, based on what we saw from his choke job against the Texans in the playoffs in January, it’s safe to say that Bills coach Sean McDermott will dissolve whenever he looks across the field and sees the Hoodie. The Bills over the Patriots? I don’t think so."

So basically he just shows his ignorance

The Pats* will probably be competitive again this season, they can win with defense and good coaching, but their done.  Soon the Hoodie will retire.  They will go back to being nothing again and the fans will complain about them like they do all their other teams.