Who is your favorite all times Bills player and why?

Whippersnappers, All ya all!

You couldn’t be a fan of the Bills in their 1st decade and not idolize Jackie Kemp. All he did was QB in 5 of the 10 AFL Title Games and bring us Back to Back Championships. Bills Mafia -not fellow players- picked him up and carted him off the field following the ‘64 title, where he was named MVP.

But, for this short, slow WR, my all time favorite player is... well, you know.

3181F9AB-6BE9-4325-A8AF-8D5E6743ABEF.jpeg

0C4ACCBE-7124-4465-AACD-8CE5F1F5CF84.jpeg

4226F4B0-ED98-4A30-BCDF-EF62C516432E.jpeg

487372BD-F2C2-4B6A-A6A0-4335FA54FB30.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is an intriguing question as there are so many players that I loved on the team. Thurman and Bruce were by far my favorites as a young teen in the 90s. Mostly because I considered them to be the absolute best at their positions, but those teams were loaded with stars you could make an argument for any number of players on the team back then.  During the drought, Fred and Kyle were of course two guys every Bills fan could be proud of even if they weren't recognized like members of the nineties teams. 

The answer for me though is Jim Kelly. He wasn't necessarily my "favorite" at the time, but man when his cancer diagnosis was first reported I couldn't believe what a profound sadness I felt. I was a guys in my 30s crying at my computer reading all the news about Jim and his family. It was then that I realized the impact this person whom I never met had had on me. All the times I shared with loved ones bonding over this team. All the heartache. All the joy. The passion. 

Two years later my mother had her own battle with cancer, a battle she ultimately lost. That ***** came fast and hard and she was gone. Her favorite hands down was always #12.  Jim's fight became all the more important to me then. Just as on the field, he fought and overcame a lot and that somehow made my loss a little easier to bear. Sorry if this is too serious for the thread.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Whippersnappers, All ya all!

You couldn’t be a fan of the Bills in their 1st decade and not idolize Jackie Kemp. All he did was QB in 5 of the 10 AFL Title Games and bring us Back to Back Championships. Bills Mafia -not fellow players- picked him up and carted him off the field following the ‘64 title, where he was named MVP.

But, for this short, slow WR, my all time favorite player is... well, you know.

3181F9AB-6BE9-4325-A8AF-8D5E6743ABEF.jpeg

0C4ACCBE-7124-4465-AACD-8CE5F1F5CF84.jpeg

4226F4B0-ED98-4A30-BCDF-EF62C516432E.jpeg

487372BD-F2C2-4B6A-A6A0-4335FA54FB30.jpeg

I beat u to it - sort of, LOL.  (See my previous post on the first page, I didn’t know how to include it here).  But I’m very happy you were able to substantiate what I was trying recognize but fell short on. Lots of good men (too many to list) from the early years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Fitz was my most lovable Bill of all time.  He was just so much fun! 

Exactly why I loved the guy.  Same with Fred.  I love to see pro athletes enjoy the games they play.

Talley.

He wasn’t the national star like so many others on those teams. But, he was 100% as important as the stars were.

There have been others over the years who were like that. Most recently Freddie Jackson. You just can’t help but love them as fans.

Steve Tasker was my favorite player for many reasons. He came to my hometown when I was growing up, and spoke at our school. He has been a friend of my family for years, and has always been a role model for us. I've always admired his work ethic as well. He never gave up on a play, and gave all he had on every down. Steve's a great person off the field as well,  and has always been a solid leader in a humble way. His motor as a player was off the charts, and I always tried to play like that when I was in high school. Later on when I became a coach, I tried to pass on his traits on and off the field. 

Old school - Joe Cribbs. He was the "Thurman Thomas" of the early 80's Bills.

Super Bowl years - Bruce Smith. One of the best ever.

Post Super Bowl years - Kyle Williams. Played on some bad teams but was proud to be a Bill who loves the area.

• Like (+1) 1